What Happened to the 2010 Carribean Cruises on the Gem?

booklady26

I was checking the NCL website for the 10 day Carribean cruises out of NYC next January/February and they are not listed. They show the 7 night cruises to Bahamas/Florida on 12/26/09 and then starting again on 2/13/10. In between that all that's shown is 2 one night cruises to nowhere on 1/2/10 & 1/23/10.

Anyone have a clue about what's happening in between?

I was checking the NCL website for the 10 day Carribean cruises out of NYC next January/February and they are not listed. They show the 7 night cruises to Bahamas/Florida on 12/26/09 and then starting again on 2/13/10. In between that all that's shown is 2 one night cruises to nowhere on 1/2/10 & 1/23/10.

Anyone have a clue about what's happening in between?

They have been missing from NCL's website since the middle of the month. NCL has changed the itinerary for these cruises (eliminated Barbados, and added San Juan).

I have no clue why they haven't been re-listed on the website........which seems very strange. :rolleyes:

People have been able to phone NCL and book the cruises from what I've heard.

They have been missing from NCL's website since the middle of the month. NCL has changed the itinerary for these cruises (eliminated Barbados, and added San Juan).

I have no clue why they haven't been re-listed on the website........which seems very strange. :rolleyes:

People have been able to phone NCL and book the cruises from what I've heard.

Thanks, Tequila. I think the change from Barbados to PR might have more to do with the fact that Barbados is pretty far south of Antigua and less to do with the whales. Why does everyone pick on the whales anyway? But that's a whole other topic.

I was hoping NCL might have changed the itinerary completely. I'm still disappointed that they never rescheduled the western carib itinerary when they decided to keep the Jade in Europe.

Thanks, Tequila. I think the change from Barbados to PR might have more to do with the fact that Barbados is pretty far south of Antigua and less to do with the whales. Why does everyone pick on the whales anyway? But that's a whole other topic.

I was hoping NCL might have changed the itinerary completely. I'm still disappointed that they never rescheduled the western carib itinerary when they decided to keep the Jade in Europe.

We were booked on the JADE out of NYC this year, and had to re-schedule and cruise on the GEM with the same itinary that we've done the past couple of years out of NY.

I would love to see a different itin. out of NY.......on any NCL ship.

There must be something going on with the cruises, why would NCL be missing out on selling cabins on the 4 GEM cruises that have been off their site for 2 weeks. :confused:

"There must be something going on with the cruises, why would NCL be missing out on selling cabins on the 4 GEM cruises that have been off their site for 2 weeks. :confused:"

My thoughts exactly. We've called a few times on this and they always act surprised that the NY/Carib Gem cruises aren't coming up under the "find a cruise" search menu. I just called again - same response. The rep called her supervisor who also knew nothing about this but confirmed that she was seeing the same problem on her computer. Letting a major site glitch continue for over 2 weeks is hard to understand, especially given the business climate right now.

Has anyone who has already booked tried calling to see if the pricing has changed?

We are booked on the 1/23 cruise, which was originally scheduled to do St. Lucia and was priced higher than the other 3 10 night cruises. When our TA called NCL for pricing last week she said it looked like they raised the other 3 cruise prices up to what ours was currently at.

"There must be something going on with the cruises, why would NCL be missing out on selling cabins on the 4 GEM cruises that have been off their site for 2 weeks. :confused:"

My thoughts exactly. We've called a few times on this and they always act surprised that the NY/Carib Gem cruises aren't coming up under the "find a cruise" search menu. I just called again - same response. The rep called her supervisor who also knew nothing about this but confirmed that she was seeing the same problem on her computer. Letting a major site glitch continue for over 2 weeks is hard to understand, especially given the business climate right now.

NCL supervisors were made aware of the computer glitch/problem 2 weeks ago........that isn't the issue. Somthing is very fishy going on, and all we can do is sit back and speculate on what they are doing.........and when they will choose to inform us. :rolleyes:

On the NCL website, if you go to the Gem under ships, click on find itineraries it doesn't show any 10 day sailings. But if you select Carribean from the drop down menu, it'll show 4 sailings in Jan & Feb in both 2010 & 2011 with the following itinerary:

DayPortArriveDepartSat New York City -4:00 PMSun At Sea --Mon At Sea --Tue San Juan 3:00 PM11:59 PMWed St. Thomas 9:00 AM6:00 PMThu Antigua 8:00 AM5:00 PMFri St. Maarten 8:00 AM4:00 PMSat Tortola 7:00 AM1:00 PMSun At Sea --Mon At Sea --Tue New York City 10:00 AM-

Yes, they did eliminate Barbados and subsituted San Juan, but I think it makes sense. When I sailed on the Gem this past February, our first stop was St. Thomas. Because of the extra time needed to sail from NYC, the port time was something like 12 noon - 7pm, which meant you could either shop or go to the beach. By making San Juan the first stop with an afternoon arrival, you then get the next full day in St Thomas, which I think is much better. I'm not a big fan of San Juan anyway, so I don't care about the late arrival. It's almost like having another sea day.

However, I still find it strange that you really have to search the website for this itinerary.

Archived