Who has used the Venice Connected Transportation Card?

I am going to buy a venice connected card for the vaporetto transportation. We arrive to Marco Polo Airport at 1:30 on Sunday and will take a taxi to the ship and will not need the card until after check in and head back out to the city a few hours later. We will not depart the ship until the next day at 5 p.m Monday. I am not sure if I should purchase a 24 hour card or 36 hour card.

What I am considering is how the tickets are validated...if the ticket becomes valid from the time I pick them up (which will be at the airport) then I should get the 36 hour card so that I am covered all the way through the next day when our ship departs-we will probably get back on board at the last possible time. If it becomes valid when I first use it, then I only need a 24 hour card because we won't be using it till later in the afternoon/early evening Sunday.

It looks like it is validated when they are picked up (hard to understand from the website), and it makes sense that we would pick them up from the airport unless there is a venice connected pick up location near the ship?

I am totally confused as to where the ship is in relation to the vaporetto stations...is there one close? I might not need the transportation card that last few hours anyway if you don't use the vaporetto to get back to the ship. Water taxi or regular taxi instead?

Why don't you save yourself ALL that trouble and just buy a vaporetto pass at any vaporetto stop? They have them in 18-24-36 hour denominations and then some. I don't know how much the card is you are talking about but I bet it's more than the V. pass. And the clock won't start until you actually need it.

The closest v. stop to the port is in Piazzale Roma, about a 10 minute walk from the dock. And you say you are taking a taxi from the airport. A water taxi or land taxi? I'm not sure, but I don't think they have land taxis at the cruise port. I think they can only take you to Piazzale Roma also.

I'm sure someone has more info than I do--we left the ship and went to a hotel for a couple of days, so I am not that familiar with the area around the port (we took Alilaguna water transport). But we did buy a vaporetto pass and used it during that time. Also, Venice is a very walkable city and you may not be using the vaporetto all that much in 24 hours anyway.

Good luck

Cathy

Archived