What to do in Cabo, Pv, & Maz?

gambler

What have you done or suggest? We are looking for low-key, relaxing, beach, food & drinks, maybe some site seeing and shopping. What is the best way to see Lands End in Cabo?

Where is the best to see the cliff divers? Thanks

Below is a copy of a set of posts we did on these ports

In Cabo, it's mostly about the beach, the world class resorts, and the boat tours. There is also a very nice marina boardwalk starting from the tender pier for some shopping and marina views.

Resorts

Cabo5.jpg

boat tours

IMAG0038-1.jpg

Medano Beach

IMG_5347-1.jpg

Lovers Beach

IMG_7230.jpg

Marina Boardwalk

IMG_1794.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

In Mazatlan the cruise pier is in an industrial shipyard. Once out, it is mostly about Stone Island beach, the expensive jewelry in the golden zone shopping district, day use at the older El Cid resort, touring around in an open air fiberglass taxi, and fresh seafood.

The Industrial port with the time share sales folks

IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7926.jpg

The El Cid Resort

IMG_1441-1.jpg

Stone Island Beach

IMG_8437.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

Fresh Seafood

IMG_8000.jpg

Puerto Vallarta is a large older classy tourist city with hillside views. The primary attractions seem to be the zip lines in the jungle, the beaches, the nice resorts, good food, the old downtown Malacon shopping area, and the views.

The views

IMG_1319-2.jpg

Zip lines in the Jungle

IMG_5294.jpg

Nice resorts

IMG_9652.jpg

CIMG2362-1.jpg

Los Muertos Beach

IMG_5311.jpg

The old downtown Malacon area

IMG_1448-2.jpg

Below is a copy of a set of posts we did on these ports

In Cabo, it's mostly about the beach, the world class resorts, and the boat tours. There is also a very nice marina boardwalk starting from the tender pier for some shopping and marina views.

Resorts

boat tours

Medano Beach

Lovers Beach

Marina Boardwalk

I'd like to put a plug in for Marlin Masters Sportfishing. We met a very nice man named Jesus Mejia. He can be reached at 624-125-2840

They have boats from 24 feet to over 70 feet and offer trophy fishing, full and half day trips, snorkeling, whalewatching and sightseeing trips. They serve lunch, drinks, provide licenses and live bait and speak English.

You can also find them on line at Marlinmasterssportfishing dot com. Be sure to ask for Jesus. Mexico's economy is really suffering and they rely heavily on our tourism.

Cabo- Take the tender over to the dock then hire a water taxi to take you out to the arch. We paid $8 per person for an amazing personal tour in a glass bottom taxi out to the arch, stopping to see tropical fish below us, a crack in the rock that water rushes through ever 45 seconds or so, a huge rock covered with sea lions, lands end arch then hooked around the ship to where we were dropped off at Merdano beach. Our driver asked if he could pick us up and he was there waiting when it was time to leave. :) Ride back to the tender pier was $3 per person. Amazing!! The ship offers a tour out to the arch for about $26 but they were not able to get up close and personal due to size like the water taxis did. Depending on which ships are in port when we were on the Mariner we looked directly at lovers beach while eating in the Windjammer.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Bobnsofi,

The first photo that you have posted...with the ocean in the back, 3 bright blue pools and the tall "hut", is that at the El Cid? Do you recall the rates to hang out all day and was it busy? Busy, as in fun?

Thank you,

Stacey

Hotel Finesterra Cabo, we have browsed thru many times. Folks here say they welcome extended pool use visits for FREE. The El Cid is in Mazatlan, and is older, but many crusiers love day use at the El Cid.

Cabo5.jpg

The El Cid

IMG%5DIMG_1441.jpg

IMG%5D

May be too late to book him but you really should try and book with Mazatlan Frank. I had been there 6 times prior to our cruise in December. We booked with him and I got a whole new appreciation for Mazatlan and it's true beauty. Some do not see beyond the industrial part of Mazatlan or the craziness of the Golden Zone. Frank will show you the beauty of his home and it's history. You can google him to get his website. Great tour

We are doing beaches with food and drinks, which is my idea of the perfect vacation:

Cabo: Medano Beach Club

Mazatlan: Stone Island

P.V.: Las Animas Adventure Park - it also includes an area that has zip-lining, rock climbing, lots of adventurous stuff for the guys (while I'll be sipping my margaritas on the beach).

Our last time in PV we did the Las Caletas excursion with Carnival. Nice boatride to the beach, open bar, food, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Great day.

We did our Las Caletas with Johann & Sandra...paid much less than booking it with the ship and it was the same tour...Fantastic time!

Hi all! We have been to these ports but are looking at joining you on the July 5th cruise, Gambler.

Bob & Sofi, which hotel had the waterslides?! Sofi is in the picture from a balcony up above.

We have been to the Hotel Finesterra in Cabo, and you can walk there and enjoy the lovely pool area (as seen in the pic with Sofi) for FREE! You are more than happy to buy some food or drink while you are there because it is LOVELY!

We wouldn't need to sit in the sun all day so we would like to do the glass bottom water taxi out to the rocks and sea life, but would just come back to the dock.

In PV, we split up and I Swam with the Dolphins! A once in a lifetime experience! They were amazing. DH and DD did the independant zipline trip with canopytours-vallarta.com. He would do that again in a heartbeat and now that I have done that in Costa Rica, I would join him.

In Mazatlan, if you like horses, try Randy's Happy Horses. But we also can recommend Mazatlan Frank who will work with groups of 2 to 30.

A little off topic, but does anyone know if these summer MR cruises have lots of families or college students, or just a few more than average? We are not bothered by the little children, but wild teens/20s can have an impact on the use of the common areas.

MrsBBuffalo,

Our family is going on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Splendor on July 5. Are you going on the Splendor? We have a group of 16 that will be going. "Grandpa and Grandma" are taking their kids and grandchildren on this cruise. Grandma and Grandpa are in their mid-late 60's. Their kids (us) have children ranging from 4 to 17. We aren't very wild, so no worries there. There is a thread under Roll Call, Carnival Splendor, July 5, 2009 under the boards that a few people have been posting on...but not very many. It's hard to figure out who is going to be on this cruise. I would guess that there would be more teens and college students since they are out of school. But don't know. Yep, I was helpful wasn't I?:D

Hi "Mom"! We are actually looking at Royal's Mariner of the Seas July 5th sailing. The ports are LA, sea day, Cabo, Mazatlan, PV and two more sea days, back to LA. Are they in port the same days?

You will LOVE a family cruise! It is our favorite vacation. Thanks!

MrsBBuffalo...it looks like our port days are different. We start in Long Beach and don't get to PV until Wednesday, then Mazatlan Thurs. and Cabo Fri. My husband and kids have never been on a cruise before. I am so excited to take them. Have a wonderful vacation!!!!!

It is about a 15 min walk. Bear left from the dock to just before the marketplace building; turn right and walk to the street; turn right again and almost immediately cross the street and then go up a curving hill drive on your left to the entrance. You can find it on google maps. Also see finisterra.com. (Shhh, tho, we don't want to tell EVERYONE! :rolleyes:)

We were so lucky on our first trip there to be shown this gem by some of the ship's crew.

Archived