Advice on where to snorkel in cozumel.

jcoco

I'm confused on where I should snorkel in cozumel. I was planning on doing the helmet dive as one of my excursion but I want to know if I do that, will I see fish...my main objective is to see as many fish right in front of me as possible. so do you think I would get to see lots of fish doing the helmet dive, or should I go snorkeling at Dzul Ha? I do not want to scuba dive.

Thanks

I recently went snorkeling at Chankanaab Park on Chankanaab reef, and there were loads of fish. It was like swimming in the fish aquariums at your local fish store. $10 cab, +$12 entrance fee, and I spent the day snorkleing and sunning....highly recommended.

Either way you're going to be able to see the fish. The helmet allows you to stay under the water longer, but you have a cord that limits how far you can go. With a snorkel, you won't be able to stay down as long, but you'll have complete freedom of movement.

Snorkel costs about $10 to rent all day.

Helmet costs $75 for an hour (I believe...).

If you haven't snorkeled a lot, I'd do the snorkle. If you're an experienced snorkeler and considering learning to scuba dive, try the helmet.

BTW, if you choose to simply snorkel, there are at least 4 dive shops right on the beach, with rentals, guides, etc. They can teach you to snorkel etc. You don't even have to sign up in advance.

A number were offering a "learn to scuba" session every couple of hours. You pay $55 to rent scuba gear, and they give you free lessons on how to use the gear. Since the water is only about 30 ft deep at the reef, there is no need to get certified etc. Certified divers will cringe at this, and it is somewhat dangerous if you are not familiar with snorkeling or diving. It is an option if you are interested.

..with EagleRay Divers. I was a seasoned snorkeler, but wanted a dive experience. One of the owners personally gave me a lesson, and we did

not one but two 40 foot dives in some glorious spots. I was ALWAYS accompanied by an experienced EagleRay diver. In fact at first he even took my hand until I felt confident enough on my own. It was a great experience.

Later returned to Cozumel with a friend and we both did the learners dive

again. All the equipment was supplied, lesson and two dives with a small amount in the group (they only do small groups, not like the ship tours) for

125. Quite a value for an experience of a liftime. They also do great snorkeling tours go to eagleraydivers.com (if that doesn't work do a search

for eagleray) This outfit is run by a husband and wife team. Hubby is Mexican,

wife is American and they have a fascinating story of how they got this started. Bottom line, if you want to do snorkeling or beginning/advanced diving do NOT use the overpriced cattle call ship tour. EagleRay is the best in Cozumel.

Mitch

appgrad, I snorkeled once before and I scuba dived once and I freaked a little bit so I'm not big on diving and I figured that the helmet would be better so I would not have to deal with the regulator and all, that was a problem for me. So do you think I could handle the helmet?

Archived