Infants and Disney Magic

sunset@sea

My husband and I will be travelling with our six month old son in a couple of weeks. We've had some difficulties with the planning and are concerned about what to expect.

For instance, we've been unable to get early seating for dinner and nursery time is limited to ten hours per cruise so we are worried we will end up having to eat in our stateroom (no one wants to be near our little one when he's kept out past eight!) or else forgo any other activities. We've had a terrible time trying to adjust the nursery hours online and even Disney site support couldn't help us. We've requested a crib but it's not guaranteed, so now we wonder if we should bring his pack and play.

Did we make a mistake in booking with Disney? We thought it would be family friendly, but it seems like we're really just competing with lots of other families with infants for limited resources. We typically cruise with Celebrity and they are so accommodating that I am not sure how to take this "wait and see" attitude. It's very unsettling to me as I am a "ducks in a row" kind of person. (I know it's a vacation and I should relax but I really can't help myself when the ducks are straggling everywhere!)

Can anyone give us tips? What are the chances we will actually get additional nursery hours? ...Or a crib? ....Or a highchair?

Thanks for any input. We are really hoping to have a great vacation and would like to set our minds to ease a bit.

First off, take a deep breath......

1. There are enough pack and plays on board, so you'll be fine there.

2. There are also enough high chairs on board, so again good.

3. Did you waitlist for early seating, when it wasn't available? If not, or it doesn't come through by boarding, in the Navigator when you board, there will be a place listed for dining changes. GO THERE and try to switch, if you can't get it, if on the Magic there's always Topsiders for dinner, the buffet.

4. As for Flounder's nursery hours, you're limited to 10 hours initially, to give everyone the opportunity to get some time. After the first night, if there are additional slots, you'll be allowed to book at that time.

DCL is VERY family friendly, hence why you feel you're competing with other families for slots. I wouldn't worry, things will be fine and you'll have a GREAT cruise!

i agree with the above poster.

onc eyou board you can get your dining time changed 99% of the time. If not then all but the first and last night you can go to the buffet between 6:30 and 8:30 for a sit down meal. Many do this because it is faster when they have kids, plus more relaxed atmosphere.

We have changed to early dining several times.

Also there is always extra nursery hours available after the first night. Just be there when they open the 2nd day to brag some hours and as the cruise progresses you can ask everyday if there are cancellations or opening still if needed.

Lots of porta cribs when we went with grand kids and we were told the same thing when we booked it. High chairs, well I always see extras off to the side every night, in fact after the first night they will have a high chair at the table already waiting for you.

Some people prefer an umbrella style stroller so the child can play with toys and not reach their food . They will move a chair out of the way for you if you want to do this too. I see this all the time.

Many parents will leave to walk the child now and then if they are fussy and on a really bad night the waiters will send your dinner to your room if needed, but usually the kids are fascinated about everything going on around them and dont fuss a smuch as their parents expect.

The wait staff will help to entertain a bit too.

So go and enjoy. I think you'll be pleasantly surprized.

Remember the people in the office are NOT the ones who are taking care of you on board. DCL does cater to kids once on board.

There will be some headaches dealing with your child...this is a good time to expose him/her to new situations where schedules are somewhat different. We did this to our DD at 4 months and she figured it out - waking up around 7:30, getting into bed with us, sleeping another hour or so and going to bed around 10. We'd take her in her stroller topside and keep her lightly dressed and under her canopy and she'd change her nap schedule.

Kids are much more resilient than most people these days give them credit for...our daughter's been on 6 cruises in her 5 years and she adjusts back to home & school pretty quickly.

Thanks for the input. I do feel better. It's good to know that there's a fair chance we will be able to change to early seating or get additional nursery time since we typically really enjoy dinner with a good wine on our cruises. It's a nice way to end a busy day. It's definitely an adjustment adding a little one to the mix.

I'm sure we will have a great time in the end. We haven't had a bad cruise yet!

Thanks again.

Archived