Port or Starboard

Billybonds

We will be sailing from Southampton to Barbados on the Azura in Oct 2010 and we have a Balcony cabin on the starboard side, I would like to know peoples opinions of whether they have a preference for port side or starboard side balcony cabins on the transatlantic cruises and their reasons for thier preference.

Thanks Billy.

I prefer a portside balcony cabin as 'usually' the port is on your side when you dock, and you can see the sailaway band from your cabin at Southampton...and it just 'feels' right to me.

Had a starboard cabin only once, last year on the Venice 16n cruise, this was because I had asked the question 'which side for sail-in to Venice?' and was told starboard, so I booked one - and it was right....

But being that side of the ship wasn't my thing and always book port now.

Off to Canaries soon - 3 1/2 weeks to go, can't wait.:)

I prefer a portside balcony cabin as 'usually' the port is on your side when you dock, and you can see the sailaway band from your cabin at Southampton...and it just 'feels' right to me.

Had a starboard cabin only once, last year on the Venice 16n cruise, this was because I had asked the question 'which side for sail-in to Venice?' and was told starboard, so I booked one - and it was right....

But being that side of the ship wasn't my thing and always book port now.

Off to Canaries soon - 3 1/2 weeks to go, can't wait.:)[/quote

As Gerry got the same weeks as you Sue ? Its going to be be quiet on the M/Bs if he as, I guess I will just have to rely on old Pugwash and the NorfolkBrits for my entertainment.

We had a starboard cabin for the Ventura Transatlantic and the sun came round in the afternoon during the Atlantic crossing as capnpugwash has said. We liked that as it meant you could take refuge on the cabin balcony in the afteroon.

As for 'Port' always being the side you dock, this is not always the case. In fact on our Caribbean Transatlantic only one of the Ports we moored Port side, all the others were Starboard. It was good being able to watch the ship approach the dock and tie up. And later on we would play the sport of watching people running to catch the ship.

What side you go for is down to preference.

Eddie :)

As Gerry got the same weeks as you Sue ? Its going to be be quiet on the M/Bs if he as, I guess I will just have to rely on old Pugwash and the NorfolkBrits for my entertainment.

Stopgo, can I remind you that the topic of this post is Port or Starboard, I thought you said we were not allowed to go off topic?

Yes I'd agree with that - I prefer port :p

Yes Stopgo, Gerry and me are cruising together at the same time - we haven't told our partners yet we are going to sail off into the sunset hand in hand ;)

Sue, we will need very long arms to go off hand in hand as you are on P&O and I am on Celebrity LOL

Yes I'd agree with that - I prefer port :p

Yes Stopgo, Gerry and me are cruising together at the same time - we haven't told our partners yet we are going to sail off into the sunset hand in hand ;)

Sue, we will need very long arms to go off hand in hand as you are on P&O and I am on Celebrity LOL

Its alright Gerry no need to panic I don't think anybody would take that rumour seriously. I don't think you two would be an ideal holiday match, what with Sue taking extensive notes and photos and you picking fault with everything.

I think I slightly prefer Port for the reasons that Sue states. It really is pot luck though as I would have not seen the whales and dolphins from my balcony on Ventura last year had I not been on my starboard balcony!

Oh, I don't know stopgo, I think we'd get on very well - lol

P.s. I don't take any notes on a cruise,....but I do take a lot of photos I admit...then again, I get to go on ship visits as well, so its not all bad news! If you give something back (like take the time to type ship reviews, give advice, tips, photos in answer to questions,) you sometimes get something in return;)

I am sure we would get on like a house on fire ;)

I can only think of one poster around here that might have fellow travel companions wishing they had booked a different cruise.

:D

Interesting Gerry! I think I should STOP for a moment and have a GO at guessing to whom you refer.

Regards

Cb

Interesting Gerry! I think I should STOP for a moment and have a GO at guessing to whom you refer.

Regards

Cb

Hi CB, please STOP putting words in my mouth!

GO figure!

Regards

Gerry

Hi Sue you keep taking pictures and notes I like your photo postings your Artemis piccies are great have been looking for some images as we take the August Bank holiday 4 night Mini Cruise this year on Artemis

By the way thanks for requesting to add me as a friend I have gladly accepted I'm touched

• 3 weeks later...
We had a starboard cabin for the Ventura Transatlantic and the sun came round in the afternoon during the Atlantic crossing as capnpugwash has said. We liked that as it meant you could take refuge on the cabin balcony in the afteroon.

As for 'Port' always being the side you dock, this is not always the case. In fact on our Caribbean Transatlantic only one of the Ports we moored Port side, all the others were Starboard. It was good being able to watch the ship approach the dock and tie up. And later on we would play the sport of watching people running to catch the ship.

What side you go for is down to preference.

Eddie :)

Hi Eddie, can you tell me at what time of year your crossing was please and where you sailed from and to,thanks, Steve.

The word 'posh' comes from the best cabins for a transatlantic crossing - port out starboard home. We had a port side balcony in October 2008 and had sunshine on our balcony all day, wonderful, we've booked the same again for 2010.

By the way we were not always docked on the port side.

Hi Eddie, can you tell me at what time of year your crossing was please and where you sailed from and to,thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve

Apologies but I have only just got back from a cruise on Oceana and extended holiday so have only just seen your post.

The Transatlantic was at the end of October 2008 on Ventura and we sailed from Southampton to Barbados.

I hope that helps.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, we are on the Azure sailing from Southampton to Barbados in Oct 2010 and we have booked a starboard cabin, we wanted the afternoon sun on the balcony but was unsure whether we would get it, but with your first hand experience of this journey we now know that if we want to retreat to our cabin we can still enjoy a bit of afternoon sun on the balcony.

Thanks

Steve.

Thanks Eddie, we are on the Azure sailing from Southampton to Barbados in Oct 2010 and we have booked a starboard cabin, we wanted the afternoon sun on the balcony but was unsure whether we would get it, but with your first hand experience of this journey we now know that if we want to retreat to our cabin we can still enjoy a bit of afternoon sun on the balcony.

Thanks

Steve.

Glad to have been of service. I hope you enjoy your cruise. Azura looks like a great ship and we loved the Tranatlantic. Just a bit jealous of you ;)

Eddie

Archived