P & O (Arcadia) or Cunard (Queen Victoria)

millie4

Hi,

First time poster and cruiser here looking for help making a decision. I am looking to book a cruise (Med) in August for my husband and myself. I have wittled the choice down to either P & O Arcadia or Cunard Queen Victoria who both offer Med cruises in August. They both look fabulous; any good/bad comments for either would be gratefully received.

Many aspects of the ships are very similar: they're built on almost the same hull (QV's is a little bit bigger), and if you look at the deck plans you can see that the layout of much of the public areas is the same. The cabins are going to be pretty similar, too.

P&O have taken a modern approach to the decor on Arcadia, whereas Cunard have given QV a faux-baronial decor, and this is one aspect that has attracted some criticism. Whereas QE2 was very modern when she was new - almost aggressively so, in fact - QV harks back to a probably-false past. It's interesting that the virtual images that Cunard have released for the forthcoming Queen Elizabeth, which will be a sister to QV, suggest that her decor will be much lighter in tone and more modern.

OK, that's the ships. Now for the cruise itself. Well, there are many here on the P&O forum who are not fond of Arcadia specifically, and who generally prefer Cunard. of course there are also those who post here who have greatly enjoyed Arcadia. One question would be: what class would you sail in QV, if that's the choice you make? Passengers in QV's 'Grills' classes not only have better cabins than those in Britannia class but also eat in different restaurants (which have different menus), and from the reviews I've read it certainly seems that a cruise in Cunard 'Grills' class is an excellent experience. Whereas passengers even in Arcadia's best suites eat in exactly the same restaurant, from the same menus, as all the other passengers. There are a couple of 'extra cost' restaurants on Arcadia, but you've got to make a booking to dine there.

Next there's the issue of the itinerary. I'm tempted to say that this will be broadly the same whichever line you cruise with. After all, a call at, say, Civitavecchia (for Rome) will be very much the same for any passenger on any ship, once you get ashore.

There's one final point where Arcadia might score. She's officially 'child-free': this means that P&O do not take booking for passengers under 18, and my understanding is that they do indeed enforce this: no children, no teenagers, not even any babes-in-arms. Whereas QV, although not really marketed as a family ship, could have children on board, possible quite a few, given that you plan to cruise in August.

There's one final point where Arcadia might score. She's officially 'child-free': this means that P&O do not take booking for passengers under 18, and my understanding is that they do indeed enforce this: no children, no teenagers, not even any babes-in-arms. Whereas QV, although not really marketed as a family ship, could have children on board, possible quite a few, given that you plan to cruise in August.

This is could be the deciding factor for you, a ship in August school holidays will have lots of children on, Arcadia won't! If I had to cruise in the school holidays I would choose Arcadia!

Personally I avoid mid-july - end Aug for that reason... although I am doing a Fjords cruise on Oceana on 29th August...hoping as its Norway and we aren't back till 5th Sept won't be too many kiddies onboard.

P.S.

Are you teachers? Do you have to cruise in August? The Med will be very very hot then, not ideal for sight-seeing in Rome/Florence/Barcelona... we went to the Med in June and it was nearly 90 degrees in Rome....

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Unfortunately, we cannot run to 'Grills' class on Cunard so wouldn't enjoy the better cabins/restaurants. We have to go during school summer holidays as I am a teacher and whilst I love the children dearly, the idea of two weeks child-free does sound tempting! I am certainly erring towards Arcadia.

Hope this may help then, here is the link to my photo album on Arcadia, just photos of the ship:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia#5109436511152102738

70+ PHOTOS for you to look at.

If you want to see more!!! go to 'my photos' section and there is albums on Arcadia cruises to Med, Canaries and Venice... Med may be of Interest,

Sue

Hi millie4,

As a retired teacher can I offer this advice. Do both.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

BTW more Arcadia pictures below.

Hi Dai

After a hard day at work, thank you so much for making me laugh out loud! I am going to pass your recommendation on to my husband immediately. Best advice I have received in a long while.

Oh, and thank you for letting me view your photos - I can't wait.

Thanks Sue. I have spent the last hour admiring your photos - I can't wait to go!

Have you decided then? Arcadia?

I have sailed on her 3 times, and there always a lot of teachers on there.... can't think why ! LOL:rolleyes:

Just something really minor, but worth a mention, The Arcadia was, I beleive originally going to be called Queen Victoria, but Cunard wanted a different hull design so the ship was handed to P & O. Apparently, the funnel gives it away:confused: Travelling across the bay of Biscay may, this is a long shot, be more comfortable on the QV than on Arcadia

The story I'd heard was the ship was originally intended for HAL but was re-assigned to Cunard because HAL didn't want it. Cunard passed it over because there wasn't time for them to design the interiors that they wanted (rather than a hull design change) so it was passed on again, this time to P&O. QV was then built as a separate order - admittedly with a slightly larger (longer) hull. Queen Elizabeth will share the same hull, and I believe that Costa Luminosa - already in service - is also on the same hull.

In any case, I'm not sure I agree with this idea that Cunard has different requirements for ships than other lines. QM2, perhaps; but QV is doing (and QE will do) pretty typical cruise itineraries. Arcadia has now got about 4 years service, and I don't see any evidence of problems. Indeed, all of the Spirit/Vista/Extended Vista ships have got a fine record, and there are now more than a dozen of them in service. Certainly Arcadia has done her share of slogging up and down the English Channel & North Sea in all weathers, without any problems as far as I'm aware.

The story I'd heard was the ship was originally intended for HAL but was re-assigned to Cunard because HAL didn't want it. Cunard passed it over because there wasn't time for them to design the interiors that they wanted (rather than a hull design change) so it was passed on again, this time to P&O. QV was then built as a separate order - admittedly with a slightly larger (longer) hull. Queen Elizabeth will share the same hull, and I believe that Costa Luminosa - already in service - is also on the same hull.

In any case, I'm not sure I agree with this idea that Cunard has different requirements for ships than other lines. QM2, perhaps; but QV is doing (and QE will do) pretty typical cruise itineraries. Arcadia has now got about 4 years service, and I don't see any evidence of problems. Indeed, all of the Spirit/Vista/Extended Vista ships have got a fine record, and there are now more than a dozen of them in service. Certainly Arcadia has done her share of slogging up and down the English Channel & North Sea in all weathers, without any problems as far as I'm aware.

You are correct, the ship was passed from HAL to Cunard. If fact the build was so advanced that Maiden Voyages were already sold. Cunard wanted a different hull design, I thought, for the North Atlantic crossings. It was then decided to pass the ship onto P and O. I am not suggesting there are any problems, I did say it was a long shot that the QV may be more comfortable across the bay of Biscay. I cruised on the QV maiden voyage and spoke to many passengers who were transfered from the original "QV" maiden voyage

I cruised on the QV maiden voyage and spoke to many passengers who were transfered from the original "QV" maiden voyage

How did you find QV's decor? I haven't been on her (or any Cunard ship) but the pictures I've seen make the decor seem rather heavy and 'grand'. Is she really like that?

From the CG images we've seen of QE, they seem to have chosen a lighter (in both style and colour) approach for that ship. And I've heard that Costa Luminosa is apparently very much a Farcus ship inside!

Arcadia handles the bay wonderfully, I've had no probs on her .

She had a force 11 a few weeks ago and ok a few creaks and groans but all was well.

I would say go for child free as being a teacher you will love the peace and quiet :D

How did you find QV's decor? I haven't been on her (or any Cunard ship) but the pictures I've seen make the decor seem rather heavy and 'grand'. Is she really like that?

From the CG images we've seen of QE, they seem to have chosen a lighter (in both style and colour) approach for that ship. And I've heard that Costa Luminosa is apparently very much a Farcus ship inside!

Personally I like it. We are on her again in a couple of weeks. I am also fortunate to be going on the QE maiden cruise. Generally I am a Cunard fan, although I have only sailed on one P & O ship, the Oceana and was not impressed with what seemed to be an overcrowded ship, which got knocked about quite badly on the Bay in a force 9, several broken windows right up on deck 7, but that having not long been on QM2 which is an enormous ship. I am trying the Artemis out of Barbados next January having read some great reports on this site.

Hi

I would recommend Arcadia, haven't been on Cunard ships but love Arcadia. We've sailed on her twice and have just booked our third on her for next year. Our daughter who is a teacher is coming with us on this cruise and as she is secondary school teacher and has an 18 year old son she is looking forward to two child-free weeks;). OH and I sailed on Oceana at Easter and while we enjoyed the cruise we found it full of children and it seemed much more crowded than the Arcadia had:eek:.

Also the spa on Arcadia is first rate, the hydro-pool and thermal suite are excellent and I enjoy the pampering:).

I'd say go for Arcadia.

countdown.pl?name=JHol&date=7-18-2010&image=Beach-9&text=&ship=Arcadia

Janet

Archived