Dress attire for dinner

CRUISING71

What cruiseline? Some do allow shorts and t-shirts on casual nights (Carnival) but RCCL for example does not allow shorts in the main dining room in the evenings. It's more typical though to see things like dockers or khakis, maybe jeans, and a golf shirt or polo shirt on casual nights.

Carnival does not allow shorts in the main dining room during dinner...at least not on the cruises I've been on.

Carnival does not allow shorts in the main dining room during dinner...at least not on the cruises I've been on.

Maybe you didn't realize that the rules had changed on your last cruise with Carnival.

From Carnival's website

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido restaurants.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I am cruising the Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas June 7th for seven nights as a first time cruiser.

So in the main dining room casual summer dresses are okay on the casual nights? And how dressy/formal are the formal nights? My husband is not a "suit" kinda guy, I'm afraid. Will we have to skip that night or would slacks and a sport jacket be okay for him on formal night?

Slacks and a sport jacket will be ok, but what is the differance in wearing that or a suit? It will take up the same amount of space in a suitcase and a suit is formal.

"My husband is not a suit kinda guy" - what is the difference between wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and sports coat and wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, tie and a suit coat?????

IMHO shorts and tee shirts are NEVER OK for dinner I do not care what ship you are on. If you do not own or want to rent a tux a dark suit is appropriate on any cruise line. I have seen dark suits for sale in Wal-Mart for $99.00 surely the gentlemen can afford that so that they are appropriately dressed and who knows - they may have a wedding or funeral to go to some day and they will already have the suit. OR they may love cruising and get a LOT of wear out of their suit.

Even though I agree that a suit is more appropriate for formal night, I would rather see a well cut sports jacket made of a natural fabric than a cheap polyester suit from Wal Mart.

Archived