Kauai Itinerary for 1 1/2 Days... Help to Add ideas and comments as necessary

Willster007

Because there is so much information and help on this site and you guys are all awesome... this is my "planned" itinerary for our day and half in port in Kauai.

What is wrong with my itinerary? Are there times that I have misjudged/not allowed enough time or is there times that I have allowed too much time?

I was hoping to do this all in one day but it may be too much for one day... wanted to return the rental car same day and avoid parking issues (where do we park in Nawiliwili Harbor) and paying for 2 days car rental?

Please feel free to add comments!

Thanks in advance!

Travelling Times from Lihue to:

1) Waimea Canyon – 75 mins

2) Koloa – 25 minutes

3) Poipu – 25 minutes

4) Hanapepe – 40 minutes

5) Waimea – 55 minutes

6) Wailua – 10minutes

Head from Lihue to:

9:00 am Waimea Canyon (75 minutes traveling), arrive at 10:15 am

10:15-11:15 at Waimea Canyon

Head back to Waimea (20 minutes from Canyon), arrive at 1pm and spend 1.5 hr

a) Menehune Ditch

b) Waimea Swinging Bridge

c) Captain James Cook Monument

d) Have Lunch in Waimea

Head out around 2:30 pm from Waimea to Poipu (25 minutes travelling)

Arrive at Poipu around 3:00-3:15

a) Visit Spouting Horn, spend ½ hr

b) Walk around beach, spend 1 hr

Head out around 4:45 from Poipu to Koloa (5 mins traveling)

Stop and walk around, grab ice cream at Lapperts

Spend 1 hr in Koloa

Drive from Koloa around 6 pm thru Tunnel of Trees (and take pictures)

Head back to ship and find parking

Next morning:

9 am Head to Wailua (15 mins traveling)

See the Wailua Falls – spend ½ hr

Fern Grotto Cruise – 2 hours

Return Car at Rental and Catch Shuttle (1/2 hr)

Be back at Boat by 12 and 12:30 pm

Thanks for your help. Add in comments, and ideas for things that I may have overlooked...

I was just getting ready to estimate distances and times for all of the PoA ports when I read your questions. I do not have answers but will looking for replies to yours. I was already strongly considering something like your first day but want to helicopter--I hear that can have views of a life time-maybe on the second morning. Do you have plans for the other ports?

I was just getting ready to estimate distances and times for all of the PoA ports when I read your questions. I do not have answers but will looking for replies to yours. I was already strongly considering something like your first day but want to helicopter--I hear that can have views of a life time-maybe on the second morning. Do you have plans for the other ports?

Hey... I know, it takes some thought as to plan what you want to do and in then organize into a timeline...

I am working on itineraries for Maui, Hilo, and Kona... just not enough hours in the day ;)

Keep watching the posts... hopefully this will help you out somewhat as well!

No problem. It's a realistic schedule.

You'll find you can even afford to spend more than one hour in Poipu, not that there's much to see unless you are going to swim. You probably won't be spending more than 15 minutes or so at the Spouting Horn unless the day is full moon and waves are big to make the Spout Horn worthwhile, but then Poipu might not be too good for swimming.

As long as you keep in mind that all the to-the-minute travel times are best estimates and are prepared for a possible 5 minute drive to take 10 or even 15 minutes due to traffic, accidents, construction, then you'll be fine. I also urge you to not be "wedded" to your original schedule. You may discover that you really love one of the places you're stopping (such as Poipu) and decide to stay longer. Don't let yourself feel "guilty" if you stay longer in one place and have to choose something to skip. It's more important that you truly enjoy what you do and see than that you kind of see and sort of do as many things as possible.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

Archived