Flaam Railway

I am trying to find out how suitable the Flaam railway would be for an elderly person (87 years old!) Can someone who has been on the train please advise me whether there is a high step to get on/off the train (as on some trains in the UK)

Also I note from photographs that the station is quite near where the ships dock, but is it walkable for someone who walks very, very slowly with a stick?

Thank you.

There's a couple of things to consider regarding the railway and the port.

1. Will your ship dock or drop anchor? If the latter, then your mother will have to contend with boarding and climbing out of the ship's tender.

2. The train is fairly near the dock itself, but it will depend upon which cars are assigned to your cruise. It would be wonderful if they were the nearest cars, but perhaps they might be 'way down the train nearest the engine.

3. Sometimes the carriages in the UK are level with the station's platform, but in Flaam, there is a climb up several steps to reach the passenger seating.

I hope this isn't too discouraging, but it may help in deciding whether or not to try it. If you do, it is a most scenic journey.....

I am trying to find out how suitable the Flaam railway would be for an elderly person (87 years old!) Can someone who has been on the train please advise me whether there is a high step to get on/off the train (as on some trains in the UK)

Also I note from photographs that the station is quite near where the ships dock, but is it walkable for someone who walks very, very slowly with a stick?

Thank you.

Well, I totally disagree with the last post that it was a waste of money!!

We were the on the Sun Princess in July of 2006, and it was wonderful:D

The ship goes right to the end of the the fiord (sp) and I believe you do tender a VERY SHORT way to the dock.

Maybe we walked off, I just can't remember, but your cruise company can fill you in on that.

It's a short walk to the train, everything is right there, so maybe equal of 1 - 2 blocks, no more.

It seems like the steps on the train were low, and the had extra steps out on the ground.

You take the train, have lunch, then transfer to a bus after lunch in Voss.

We went with the tour from the ship, and it was wonderful. A great lunch in Voss, then a visit to a world heritage site hotel, with a view you can't believe.

If you do decide to go, the train will make a stop on the way up the hill so you can get out and take some pictures of a waterfall.

Now there will be a surprise there, so when you get off the train, take your camera and have it ready:D:D

If you would like to email me @ cyberfish2@att.net perhaps I can find some pictures to email to you.

Just mention that you are a CC member in the subject line.

Hope this helps....Jeanne

ps...you could always book the tour (it is very popular) then talk to the tour desk to have some of your questions answered, and cance if necessary.

Archived