HAL Westerdam SY or VA?

luvship

We are planning an Alaska cruise this summer on the Westerdam and would appreciate any advice regarding SY vs VA. At least for July, SY (Superior Suite) is selling for less than VA (Deluxe Verandah Ocean View Stateroom). I realize that SY is on a lower deck but am wondering if there is some other "downside" to that category vs VA.

The SY is much nicer than any VA I don't care where it is. In fact we like the SY cabins on 6 better than the SS's on 8.

The balcony is larger, double sinks in the bath and about 140 more sq ft....

Check out the deck plans and compare the VB's on 6 with the SY's. The VB's are the same size as the VA's.

And welcome to CC by the way.

Go for the SY. The extra space is wonderful, separate whirlpool tub & shower stall & 2 sinks in the bathroom.

HAL is having a sale right now. It’s not unusual to get a price break like this. I had the same thing happen on my last cruise on the Oosterdam – SY Guarantee cost less than a VA where I could select the cabin.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

We booked on the Zuiderdam for June and found the same thing. The SYs were cheaper than VA, VBs, and VCs and the same as VDs. We booked an SY and it looks very nice. I think the prevous poster is right about SS vs SY. On the Zuiderdam the SSs are below the Lido deck and the SYs are between two cabin decs. The SSs cost more but the SYs have a better location in my mind. The same seems to be true on the Westerdam.

We booked on the Zuiderdam for June and found the same thing. The SYs were cheaper than VA, VBs, and VCs and the same as VDs. We booked an SY and it looks very nice. I think the prevous poster is right about SS vs SY. On the Zuiderdam the SSs are below the Lido deck and the SYs are between two cabin decs. The SSs cost more but the SYs have a better location in my mind. The same seems to be true on the Westerdam.

jmps: I agree and, for the same reason, booked SY rather than SS. Now all I have to do is figure out if our balcony (SY 6061) is covered or uncovered.

On the Zuiderdam the SY's verandah are covered by the verandah above. We are booked in a VD in June on the Westerdam and from what I saw on the deck plans I think it is the same.

We booked a SY on the Zuiderdam for our Alaska cruise. There were some price reductions and when we spotted one we called our TA to get the lower price.

She told us that HAL upgraded us to a SS. We told her to get us back to the SY because we didn't want to be under the Lido Deck. We felt the SS's on the Zuiderdam were a less desirable cabin than the SY's because of that.

Now if they want to upgrade us to a SA, SB, or SC we'd be all over it.

Archived