Need help with excursions

MTcruiser

We just had our ports changed and it looks like we're going to Grand Cayman now. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Anyone do a day at all inclusive here if there is one? We were going to do some Mayan ruins in Belize a cooking class in Cozumel and an atv ride in Costa Maya. I feel lost now. Thanks for any help.

If you want a beach day there are no all inclusives but you can grab a cab for $4-$5/person to the beach at either the Reef Grill or Sea Grape. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent, food and drink for purchase, and free rest rooms and showers. If you haven't been to Stingray city it is a unique experience.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

I have been several times to the Caymans I think snorkling with the sting rays is something not to miss it was an awesome experience. You cannot miss the visit to Hell just for the picture. Sea Turtle farm is cool until you find out 90% are raised for food nothing like turtle in a can or stop into the restaurant and they will cook you up some. I have done catamaran/snorkel that was fun but still like the sting rays. The water is unbelievable. Don't forget to stop at the rum cake factory for samples and stop and get RUM! That is a must.

If you want a beach day there are no all inclusives but you can grab a cab for $4-$5/person to the beach at either the Reef Grill or Sea Grape. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent, food and drink for purchase, and free rest rooms and showers. If you haven't been to Stingray city it is a unique experience.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks, that might be what we're looking for. Is it a big island?

The island is a pretty good size and has very low crime rate and very strict rules I personally like going there. I am tired of shopping so since we have been re-routed to return in June I will definately will be doing something in the water the Cayman's has some of the cleanest water you will be in. You will tender in they do not allow docking at this point. I believe there are more than 800 banks on the island it is more up scale I think than St. Thomas and I love St. Thomas. Look on the the tourist board for the Cayman's has a lot of info.

I have been several times to the Caymans I think snorkling with the sting rays is something not to miss it was an awesome experience. You cannot miss the visit to Hell just for the picture. Sea Turtle farm is cool until you find out 90% are raised for food nothing like turtle in a can or stop into the restaurant and they will cook you up some. I have done catamaran/snorkel that was fun but still like the sting rays. The water is unbelievable. Don't forget to stop at the rum cake factory for samples and stop and get RUM! That is a must.

Thanks. Is this the kind of place we could just walk around and enjoy the day or do we need an excursion?

You can walk around or take a taxi to the beach. There will be people at the pier with signs for tours, etc... if you do not want to book with the ship. Just make sure you make it back before the last tender.

I hope this helps, I've been to see the stingrays a few times in Grand Cayman and I always enjoy it. Last week (4/28/09) we went with "Stingray Sailing" and it was wonderful. I've attached a picture of my grandson holding a starfish. The folks working on the boat were just wonderful. One of the representatives dove and brought up a few goodies (two star fish and a sea potato) for the kids (even the big ones) to see up close. Naturally they returned them to sea. The water was pretty rough that day so the representatives were in the water assisting. We snorkled after playing with the stingrays and it was wonderful. My grandkids don't know how to snorkle so they didn't participate in that but overall this was a great first experience for them. On the way back they unfurled the sails and turned off the boat motor. What a nice treat. Their email address is stingraysailing@gmail.com. They will make reservations and answer any questions you have via email quickly. I highly recommend this company.

676736129_stingraysailing.jpg.fc08e1093d247c6dbf116f2a1da663fc.jpg

MTcruiser - you can walk around the port area if you enjoy shopping and restaurants. You pretty much need to take a cab to get to the beach. A cab ride to the Reef Grill will take about 10-15 minutes. Their website is http://www.reefgrill.com and they have webcams so you can see what it is like there.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

I have to echo the recommendation of AnotherCruise4me (who posted above); we just got back from 7 days on the Freedom of the Seas (haven't written my reviews yet, but in the works). We stopped in Grand Cayman and booked excursion with Stingray Sailing. It's a family operation and was a pleasure to deal with; Michelle took care of the reservations and questions; her husband Chip operated the catamaran (we had 16 guest aboard, including our 5) and Bert piloted the boat.

We snorkeled on a reef and waded around on the sandbar, feeding the rays. (water too was choppy, but still a once in a lifetime experience). the return trip under sail was a delight for the kids and Chip dove over the side and brought up starfish, urchins, etc. (great photo ops). whole trip was 3-4 hours, and very reasonable ($30 for kids and $45 for adults). They will drop you anywhere after, but we opted for shopping and a trip to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville afterward. I'd recommend Stingray. :cool:

Archived