What to do in St. Martin?

jbank

With the sudden change in ports, what do you recommend we do in St. Martin on our own. Are taxi rentals for exploring reasonable? Good areas for bargaining for gifts? Anything we can walk to? thanks for the help!

If you are interested in an island tour with some beach time, check out Bernard's Tours. You should be able to google him. He only charged us $35 pp, we got a great tour and history of the island, a few hours on Orient Beach, some time in the French capital, and a stop to watch the planes land over your head at Maho beach. Shopping was optional at the end - we skipped it and went back to the ship.:D

the best excursion I've ever done is the America's Cup Sailing which I've done twice-you can pick heavy, medium or lite exertion, Its a blast.

I totally totally agree...worth every penny and unforgetable!

Contrary to Carnival's recommendation,....we rented a scooter and went around the entire island. We literally did a big circle and visited beaches and bistros along the way. One of the best things that we've done on a cruise! We stumbled upon the airport and were shocked to have a jet landing over our heads, how cool is that? LOL!

They drive on the same side as us and the drivers are very courteous. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and I'm sure that someone will flame me, but it was just a spectacular experience! :)

Contrary to Carnival's recommendation,....we rented a scooter and went around the entire island. We literally did a big circle and visited beaches and bistros along the way. One of the best things that we've done on a cruise! We stumbled upon the airport and were shocked to have a jet landing over our heads, how cool is that? LOL!

They drive on the same side as us and the drivers are very courteous. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and I'm sure that someone will flame me, but it was just a spectacular experience! :)

That is cool. We had that happen to us in Anchorage, Alaska. We had parked the rental car and were standing at the end of the runway when this HUGE cargo plane from Japan landed. I could almost see the color of the pilot's eyes. Talk about LOUD>::

just got back from a week in St. Martin. Orient Beach is nice, but the waves are a little intense (if you like to go in water) and it's windy. You could cab it to Mullet Bay. (nice calm beach) of course, not as many amenities as Orient (I.E. restuarants. beach chairs/umbrellas). The Best is Pinel Island. Cab it to Cul de Sac. (or rent a car) Board a ferry. (they leave everyday: unless the water is rough) starting at 9am. Last ferry that leaves from the island is 4pm.

it's the prettiest calmest beach and water. there is snorkeling. 3 restuarants and chairs and umbrellas for rent. It's the best place in St. Martin.

enjoy

...what do you recommend we do in St. Martin on our own...

Lots of fun shopping right near where the pier is, at Philipsburg, and easy to walk to. Also a fun place to have a taxi tour - just talk to some drivers and pick one that you feel comfortable with.

However, if it were us, we would do something we can't do at home. We'd take a taxi directly to Orient Beach and be dropped off at Pedros, at the south end. Then we would go into the Club Orient part of the beach, rent two chairs and an umbrella down toward their restaurant ($18 US), and enjoy the sunshine au natural. We would also have a great time swimming there in the calmest water on Orient Beach whenever we wanted a break from the sun - without a soggy suit afterwards. At lunchtime we would go into the Papagayo Restaurant & Bar and share a wonderful meal together - nude of course! (remember to take a towel to sit on) At 2:30 we would wander down to the Perch Bar for their 2for1 happy hour, and enjoy a wonderful tropical drink or two. Ahhh, can almost feel the warm sunshine...

Well, anyways, that's what we recommend (you asked)!! What ever you decide to do, have fun and make it memorable!

LT

Rent a car and do it all. Nice drive to Orient Beach to go au natural if you choose. Travel on to Marigot and check out the fort bfore eating in a french bistro. Travel on to Maho Beachand maybe cathc some planes coming in. Stop off in town to shop before dropping off the car and catching a drink on the way back to the ship. Rental cars are right at the port and it is safe and easy to drive around the island. One road in a circle.

We pretty much did the same thing, except we rented ATV 4Wheelers and had a BLAST! We drove to different beaches, stopped for lunch, saw the planes at Maho, etc. Loved every minute of it!

We pretty much did the same thing, except we rented ATV 4Wheelers and had a BLAST! We drove to different beaches, stopped for lunch, saw the planes at Maho, etc. Loved every minute of it!

Where did you rent the 4 wheelers from and what was the cost? This sounds really neat.

Archived