Whats worth visiting????

CruisingMike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

we just got back from bay island beach resort. very laid back, small resort that will totally take care of you. pick up from the pier, do what you want(snorkling from the boat i highly recommend), delicious lunch...lay in the hammocks...just watch out for the sand fleas...use bug spray when on the sand here.....not many people there so you feel like you aren't part of a herd..stop at Yaba Ding Ding for shopping..

I have just returned from a cruise on the NCL Dream the end of December 2004.

You can't do anything wrong in Roatan! :)

I am flying back in January 2005, buying a house and moving ASAP! :)

No kidding....I've ordered my passport and put my house on the market! :p

I lived on Kauai for 6 years and am ready to be an island girl again! You can take the girl off an island but can't take the island out of the girl!!!! Yahoo! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
How much is cab to Bay Island Resort? How much to spend the day there? Thanks

you book through them for the day and they come pick you up at the pier in their van. it was about $70 dollars which included transportation,lunch,snorkling from their boat,tips etc..they have a website bibr.com which should give you all the info...

I spent 12 glorious days in Roatan last year (going back for 12 more in 2006).

Take a taxi to West End, that is the little town with all the shops, cool roadside bars and restaurants. My favorite bar was the one with the swings for seats! If you walk right through West end to the end of the street, hang a right and then walk along the beach, you'll reach the resort we stayed at, Luna Beach. They have a good bar and restaurant as well as a pool. Get a Monkey LaLa, its a great frozen drink.. similar to a mudslide.

Then if you walk out to the end of one of the Jetty's (including Luna Beach's) you can flag down a water taxi for a couple of bucks a head to take you over to West Bay (what the cruise ships for some reason call Tabyana) beach. If you have snorkel gear you can snorkel right off the beach as the reef comes right in to the shore at the far end of that beach. There are also more beach bars and restaurants tucked in the resorts along that beach, or at the near end is a great place called Bite on the Beach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bay Island resort sounds good. I am traveling with my mother on the Valor in July, I like to snorkel but she doens't. She is not a water person at all. How bad are the sand fleas? Do all the beaches there have them, are some beaches worse than others?

Susan

i spent about 1/1/2 hours just sitting in a beach chair or hammock just relaxing at Bay Island beach resort. i got bit up around my ankles, my husband didn't seem to be bothered at all.we didn't take bug spray so I don't know if that would have helped... but there is an open restaurant that overlooks the beach, so your mom could sit up there and enjoy the scenery without getting much into the sand if she wanted. They'll wait on you hand and foot and take care of anything you want.

there isn't anything much around there however if she wanted to shop etc, but just sitting and relaxing was for us.. on the way back we enjoyed shopping at yaba ding ding...

My best advice, walk outside of gate and into town. Anything you want to do someone will offer you a tour for a fraction of what the in the port and cruise ship wants to sell ya it for. I paid 50 dollars for five of us to tour all day on the island. Saw everything, had a great time and didn't pay the jacked up tourist prices.

• 2 months later...

We are going to be in Roatan mid-October on the Sun. Has anyone been to the Cameo Factory there? I have been to the one in Italy and thought this might offer some interesting thing to see?:cool:

• 1 month later...
you book through them for the day and they come pick you up at the pier in their van. it was about $70 dollars which included transportation,lunch,snorkling from their boat,tips etc..they have a website bibr.com which should give you all the info...

I thought I read on there website that you have to get there by yourself, taxi etc. & they would get you back to the boat,meaning return trip is the only transportation included??:confused:

Archived