Star Princess E Caribe report, Part II

CariBlue

Part II

The Ports:

San Juan. We had arranged for a Bioluminscent Bay kayak tour but it was replaced with "Eco" tour, on account of the full moon. Evidently, the reflection of the moon makes it impossible to see the dinoflagellates. I was skeptical about the so-called "eco" tour and cancelled. Being dropped off in SJ at rush hour was extremely poor planning. It took forever to get around in traffic. We hired a van to give us a tour. There was a bit of excitement at the state house. A man was being arrested, and there was cops and helicopters and photographers everywhere. I believe the man was one of the notorious "Necronazis" because there was a swastika on his car.

Old SJ is beautiful, and it reminded me of New Orleans. We had drinks at a wonderful place called the Parrott Club. There was also a street festival and we did a little dancing with the locals. Once we got out of the traffic, it was a nice time. On our way back to the ship, my aunt went alcohol shopping. Oh, if only I were a drinking woman! The prices were unbelievable! $6 for top line rum, whiskey, and vodka!

St. Thom: Charlotte Amalie is the pits. Loud, congested, polluted. The locals, however, were very friendly. I did not expect this. All there is to do is shop. We hired a guy to take us around the island. It was not all I had hoped. Five ships were in port and there were traffic jams all over the island. We finally had him drop us at Coki Beach. This beach was a disappointment I am sorry to say. However, we went to Coral World, which was very nice. Then we went parasailing, which was spectacular. The tour operators were two young men and were tons of fun. They let me stay up 20 minutes instead of 10, and then let me drive the boat! Then our driver came back for us at 4 and took us back to the ship. We gave him a nice tip for his trouble. If you get a chance, take the time to get to the know the people who live on the island and learn about their lifestyle. Their culture is very distinct and they are friendly. I enjoyed this part very much.

Tortola. Fabulous. (I use that word a lot in this report!) No shopping! Natural, quiet, beautiful. We went to the Botanical Gardens and asked our driver to come back for us in an hour so that we could make it back to the ship for the Dolphin Excursion. Guess what? He didn't show up! I almost panicked because I didn't want my mom to miss her excursion! I started running down the street stopping every jitney and van asking for a ride, and finally I got a bite. I asked him if he likes to drive fast, and BOOM, he drops it into 4th and we squealed down the streets, and arrived at the pier just as the tour was leaving! I asked the Princess tour operator if I could ride along with my mom and he said, "Of course. Transportation is just $15." "Yeah, right," I said, and went off for a cab. ($4)

The dolphin excursion was very nicely done. They were in the water for about 40 minutes and everyone seemed to love it. They also had a small aviary and a couple of sloths, which you could pet. They made a nice video and I purchased one for my mom.

I had arranged for a snorkeling tour with one of the locals (Dive Tortola), and we were in walking distance from Dolphin Discovery. They took us out to Peter Island for a few hours and it was wonderful. $38 total with equipment. They raced us back to the marina and had a cab waiting for us so that we could get back to ship on time.

Princess Cayes: Closed.

Nassau: Full. No stop. Extra Sea Day.

Now for the bad. Princess "nickels and dimes" you to death. Their so-called "seminars" are simply a device to sell you more stuff, and some of the seminars are ridiculous, for example "Blow-drying techniques." Guess how many people changed the name of that seminar? hahahahaha! At dinner, the "singing waiter" was more of a pusher trying to sell us some stupid cordial glasses. Every night! On Princess, it seems that everything costs money, and they are always trying to sell you something, from ice cream, to soda cards, to airbrush tattoos. Leave me alone already! The drinks were not that expensive, cheaper than what I pay at home, and they were strong. I found it easiest to simply order a medium or a large, which would last longer, and they woudn't bother you the rest of the night. The waiters don't like to bothered with sodas or water, however, because they get no tips from that.

Princess is bad at communicating procedures. We got conflicting information on several occasions. They are very good at announcing activities that cost money, but not good at explaining directions for things like disembarking.

I went a little stir crazy on Sea Days. I just paced the ship back and forth for hours. The library didn't have any books that interested me, which was a shame. The pool games were only mildly amusing. The movies they showed were aimed at children (Shrek, I Robot, Spiderman).

I enjoyed the port days and all of the evenings on the ship, but I was bored during the day. It helped to go to the dancing lessons and the shuffleboard tourneys, where I could interact with others who are closer to my age. Here is a habit I will never fall into when I get older: I will never talk about incontinence, constipation, or urinary frequency!!!!! If they (my mom and aunt) weren't going to the bathroom, they were either talking about what they just did in one, or wondering where one was!

In conclusion, I don't know if I am a "cruise" person. There is not enough time in the ports to really experience different cultures and there is too much time at sea. My advice is to arrange your own tours; don't go through Princess, where you will be herded like cattle and pay tons of $$.

I still had a wonderful time, but you do have to go make your own fun. It was wonderful taking my mother on a cruise, and it did her a world of good, and I was thrilled to have experienced it with her. It might be nice to go with people my own age next time. My mom was a sport and went to the disco once with me (how many 64 year olds would do that?!), but she was turned off by the music and soon left. ("It's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes!" hahahaha!) That was okay; I took up with a big group of Japanese college students and had a blast dancing with them! This is what I liked the most about cruising: I felt like a new person--so outgoing! Having fun with complete strangers is not something to which I am accustomed! You really get caught up in the moment and totally forget the real world! I also really liked dressing snazzy every night!

Thanks to all who posted and to all the advice. I felt very well prepared for the trip.

I will be happy to answer questions!

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it is a bit tough to go on a cruise with parents, or anyone who is of a different generation. So much more fun with a best friend! I was particularly touched by this comment:

When you see a couple who have been married for about 60 years dancing in each other's arms, it gives you the most wonderful warm feeling, and makes you realize that life can always be rich and full!

My thoughts exactly, I only hope to get there someday (almost halfway there now)!

Nice review! The added charges do cause a bit of sticker shock at first. You soon learn to bypass or ignore all those added-cost items and find a substitute. I get my ice cream fix in the dining room, for example, and the home-made version served on the ship is tons better than Haagen-Dasz could ever hope to be. I think the additional charges were really the only negative that I noticed on our first cruise.

Hopefully you'll find a good reason to give cruising another try - say, for example, a more port-intensive Med cruise, or a cruise that includes some overnight stops.

Thanks for writing such a fine review.

I have a daughter that is in a wheelchair paralyzed from the top of the thighs down but is on her High School's varsity swim team that wants to do the dolphin thing. Do you remember if there were stairs involved in the tour? If so how many? She is willing to crawl if she can do it.

Thanks so much for all your candid comments on the ship, it's crew and itinerary. If you ever get a chance to go back to St Thomas, cruise or land vacation, a day trip to St John or a day at Sapphire Beach are two things we've done on our own and had a great time.

I hate this too:

At dinner, the "singing waiter" was more of a pusher trying to sell us some stupid cordial glasses. Every night!

I have a daughter that is in a wheelchair paralyzed from the top of the thighs down but is on her High School's varsity swim team that wants to do the dolphin thing. Do you remember if there were stairs involved in the tour? If so how many? She is willing to crawl if she can do it.

They had to climb down a ladder and stand on a submerged platform. If I were you, I would contact Dolphin Discovery and talk to them on the phone. Perhaps they can offer a tour outside of what the cruise offers. They are only a 5 or 10 minute drive from the pier. Look up Dolphin Discovery, and click on Tortola. They have a 1-800 # and will talk to you in person. Let me know what you find out!

... I went a little stir crazy on Sea Days. I just paced the ship back and forth for hours. The library didn't have any books that interested me, which was a shame. The pool games were only mildly amusing. The movies they showed were aimed at children (Shrek, I Robot, Spiderman)... I enjoyed the port days and all of the evenings on the ship, but I was bored during the day... In conclusion, I don't know if I am a "cruise" person. There is not enough time in the ports to really experience different cultures and there is too much time at sea.

You restless soul! :D Interesting observations and it's exactly what I was thinking going into the cruise experience; DW had to drag me kicking and screaming onboard our first cruise together because I love to "go places" and "do things" on vacation. But after doing basically nothing (i.e. laying pool-side, cocktailing, reading) for the first couple of days I fell in love with cruising!! She had to drag me kicking and screaming off the ship by week's end!! (She never gets tired of being right.)

I still enjoy "going places" for vacations, but also really look forward to "going nowhere" on the occasional cruise! :D

Thanks to you and Jerry for the great write-ups, Cari!!!

We did the Halloween (eastern) cruise on the Star and formal nights were the at sea days (2nd night and 6th night). Lobster tails were served on the second formal night.

The Tropical Deck Party was held on aft decks 14, 15 and 16 on Wednesday (the port call of St. Thomas) at 10:30 pm. They closed the aft pool deck at 2 pm to prepare for it.

Joni

CariBlue,

Great review. It's nice to know that a full moon would prevent the Bioluminescence excursion. It makes sense but I would not have given it a thought. We were in SJ on electon day. What a sight. Locals hanging out of their cars yelling and waving party flags and constantly beeping their horns. No liquor was served until 9 pm. Senor Frogs was a margarita-free zone. Can you imagine?

Would you consider a cruise with others your own age and not bowel/bladder fixated? Perhaps on another cruise line?

Joni

CariBlue,

Would you consider a cruise with others your own age and not bowel/bladder fixated? Perhaps on another cruise line?

Joni

Hahahahahahaha! :) It was the first time that I was ever really aware of the age gap. I think I would love another cruise with friends my own age, and I would go on Star Princess again. I think they do a fine job, and I think that the other lines appeal to a diff't type or class of passenger. The clientele is important to me. I don't like to be around drunks, ill-mannered people, or lots of families/children. There were only 50 children on board this sailing. Still, I thought that it was inappropriate that people brought strollers into the lounges (it was already crowded) and then allowed their toddlers on the dance floors when we were all trying to dance. I think it would be much worse on RCI or Carnival.

Thanks!

Hahahahahahaha! :) It was the first time that I was ever really aware of the age gap. I think I would love another cruise with friends my own age, and I would go on Star Princess again. I think they do a fine job, and I think that the other lines appeal to a diff't type or class of passenger. The clientele is important to me. I don't like to be around drunks, ill-mannered people, or lots of families/children. There were only 50 children on board this sailing. Still, I thought that it was inappropriate that people brought strollers into the lounges (it was already crowded) and then allowed their toddlers on the dance floors when we were all trying to dance. I think it would be much worse on RCI or Carnival.

Thanks!

Yeah, toddlers on the dance floor is a bit much. I think it would be dangerous, too. I imagine that many folks leave their common sense at home.

We travel with our 12 yo DD but we don't care for the masses of kids, either. So, we will never do Spring Break, again! Our Halloween cruise had about 400 (I'm told) Chumley's BearCruises fellas on it. It made for an interesting cruise and reduced the number of kids and seniors.

Joni

Archived