Entertainment on Summit

DoniaG

Can some of you who have recently returned from the Summit give me a rundown of the shows - or tell me a website where I might find them? We'll be there the last half of June.

How is the entertainment - both in the theatre and in the bars?

What times do they do the theatre shows. Right now, we're stuck with early sitting, but we plan to change that or spend a lot of time eating in the bistro-type restaurant. I don't want to cut my time ashore just to have dinner!

Thanks for your help

Donia

Bumping this to the top one more time in the hope of finding someone who's as bored with the jeans in the MDR wars as I am and willing to share some information.;)

I combed through cruise reviews (both here and on other websites) and the latest Summit sailing I could find covered was early April and gave high marks to the onboard entertainment. What are the chances that the same entertainment line-up will still be there in late June. I know they typically sign fairly long-term contracts - but have no idea how long and on what kind of schedule.

Even more important than who's entertaining is the question about the number of times the shows in the Celebrity Theatre are presented each evening.

Thanks, Donia

Donia, we just returned from the Summit TA so I can tell you about that. Not sure if the entertainment will continue. I can say that Celebrity does a good job of breaking up the shows that come before or after dinner. We had late seating and sometimes the mainstage show was later and sometimes it was before. The Celebrity dancers and singers were great and we had the usual Broadway type shows. We also had a man and woman aerialist couple that added to the excitement. Also a vocalist (Cecil Parker) who was great. A classical pianist (Brooks Aehron) who was also great and VERY popular. Ther was a hypnotist and a comedian but we did not go see them. There is someone in Michaels on a varying schedule. Karaoke with a varying schedule. The Martini STrings in the Cova Cafe and the dining room. The party band and Elk Island Quartet in the Rendezvous Lounge. They were great and could play any kind of dancing music. I hope they are still around for you to enjoy. Anyway, Celebrity mixes it up so you should be able to catch anything, no matter what time your dinner time is. Marilyn

Many, many thanks, Marilyn! I've cut and pasted your answer to my file of important cruise info. I'm traveling with some friends for whom the ship's entertainment is vitally important. I would hate to have them disappointed. I suspect that most of the same entertainers will still be onboard. It doesn't make sense for Celebrity to send everyone with the ship to Europe and then have to fly them home. The only ones I would hate to miss are the aerialist couple. So many of those kinds of entertainers are Eastern European - I just hope that the TA wasn't their trip home!

Donia

Donia, we just returned from the Summit TA so I can tell you about that. Not sure if the entertainment will continue. I can say that Celebrity does a good job of breaking up the shows that come before or after dinner. We had late seating and sometimes the mainstage show was later and sometimes it was before. The Celebrity dancers and singers were great and we had the usual Broadway type shows. We also had a man and woman aerialist couple that added to the excitement. Also a vocalist (Cecil Parker) who was great. A classical pianist (Brooks Aehron) who was also great and VERY popular. Ther was a hypnotist and a comedian but we did not go see them. There is someone in Michaels on a varying schedule. Karaoke with a varying schedule. The Martini STrings in the Cova Cafe and the dining room. The party band and Elk Island Quartet in the Rendezvous Lounge. They were great and could play any kind of dancing music. I hope they are still around for you to enjoy. Anyway, Celebrity mixes it up so you should be able to catch anything, no matter what time your dinner time is. Marilyn

We were on week before you and the medley of Broadway was just amazing! Did they do that show on the TA? When they got to Lion King I said to my husband oh this is going to be tough (saw most of the shows they did in the montage, but Lion King is difficult to do well once you have seen it on Broadway). Well I was VERY impressed... If this show is there, OP, you Do NOT want to miss it! Also there was a singer named Karen Grainger who did impersonations who was really good too.. was she still there?

We were on week before you and the medley of Broadway was just amazing! Did they do that show on the TA? When they got to Lion King I said to my husband oh this is going to be tough (saw most of the shows they did in the montage, but Lion King is difficult to do well once you have seen it on Broadway). Well I was VERY impressed... If this show is there, OP, you Do NOT want to miss it! Also there was a singer named Karen Grainger who did impersonations who was really good too.. was she still there?

Thanks, mkad. The more I hear, the more I look forward to the entertainment onboard. This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm glad to know that their standards are high in this area. Not all the cruise lines have that kind of quality! D.

Personally I think entertainment is one area that X falls down. However everything is subjective. We have walked out of or skipped different evening shows. Just pick and choose what you want. We enjoy comedy and some musical/variety acts... i.e. "lively" acts. Solo violinists, pianists, xylophone players...not so much on a cruise. But we don't have any big need for that hour show to keep us occupied every night.

The cruiseline entertainers are "contracted" on each ship for a period of months. (Big shows and bar entertainment.)

Some hired (private) entertainers come onboard, do their thing, and get off at the next port. Some hang out for the whole cruise but only do one or two shows.

Check your daily cruise paper for the times for each big show. They change. Also there will be a schedule telling you where there is entertainment and when as far as lounges. It too can change every day, so be sure to check.

Archived