City Maps for Baltics?

I've been a big fan of the laminated Streetwise Maps through the years. (I made a mistake and bought a "StreetSmart" map for Boston at a hotel last fall and after wondering why the map was so poorly divided and annotated, took a closer look at the name, and realized what a difference a good map can make!)

However, it appears Streetwise doesn't publish maps for Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki or Talinn.

Does anyone have any favorite maps for these cities - and why?

What am I looking for:

- Easily folded into reasonable size - lamination a plus but not essential

- Good notation of sights, landmarks and districts/neighborhoods

- Metro/subway stops included (or equivalent, depending upon city)

....yes I have an iPhone (roaming OFF in Europe) but sometimes a hard-copy map is easier!

Mark

Map Easy has a paper laminated map of Stockholm and Sweden. It has all the tourist sites marked, as well as hotels and restaurants. It does not have metro stops or bus lines marked. It is not as nice as the Streetwise Maps. The web site for them is www.mapeasy.com. They are also sold by the major book companies.

If you are considering the Stockholm card, they offer a map for sale when you sign up for the card. It does have the metro stops listed and a metro map on the back.

I too like to have a NICE map of cities I am visiting. You may want to look at

1) Eyewitness Travel...I bought a Top 10 Copenhagen. It includes a map and it is laminated and fits in a little pocket in this compact book. There are also maps inside the cover.

2) Fodor's Citypacks. I used one for Washington DC and San Francisco. The older versions have maps though not laminated. Again, nice maps inside the cover.

3) Knopf Mapguides. These are really unique as the maps fold out and are easy to use. I used this all over Rome and it was great. As it is part of the book, not seperate, and not laminated, I was able to mark in advance where I wanted to visit. Really handy and I am going to purchase one for Stockholm.

The nice things about the above are they are all real compact. They may not be the books I would use for major research, but they are handy in size and weight to take with me for a day of exploring.

Hope this helps!

Archived