QM2 March 9, 2005

cruiserking

Copperpenny,

I've not been to Bonaire or Curacao, but travelled to Barbados and Martinique on QE2 for 2003 Christmas Cruise. By far Barbados stood out as our favorite island stop. It is a very beautiful place and the people are extremely friendly.

We took the Jeep 4x4 excursion in Barbados and thoroughly enjoyed it. They take you off the beaten track, into the rain forest, up into the hills, over to a lovely swimming hole. There's plenty of homemade rum punch on hand which helps ease those off road bumps.

The Jeeps are covered from the sun and only seat about 6 or 7 people.

Have a great trip!

Cruiserking

I noticed some folks on the March 9 are from New Jersey? Can I ask what town? I live in Barnegat.

I will be on this cruise as well--- just booked yesterday! Yes, yesterday! How are the Jersey folks getting to the pier?

I lived in Connecticut until 3 1/2 years ago-- in Ffld. County.

I think we will take public transportation too. The parking at the pier has gotten out of hand!

seems like of lot of discussion with this March 9 group!

"The parking at the pier has gotten out of hand!"

How so?

We're also on the March 9 cruise, (our first ever!) and had planned on driving down from CT and parking at the pier. With two kids and luggage, it seemed to provide the least amount of hassle. But, perhaps that's not the case?

iy

I think the only hassel with parking at the pier in NY is the cost. I've never done it, I have always gotten a ride with a family member. A co-worker has used the parking for a Norwegian Dawn cruise and it cost them over $125. Kinda alot I think. They thought it was worth the price, where as I would rather have somone drop me at the train station and go that way and take a cab when I get into NY. I guess it all boils down to what "you" feel more comfortable doing.

On St Patricks day, after about 10AM watch out from 42nd st thru 86th st. I think most debark before there is any problem, but I'd suggest using the West Side Hwy to get uptown or downtown and out of the city.

JPEvans, getting to Grand Central Sta for your train could be a problem only if you debark too late, if so just go below 42nd st, then go east and back up to Grand Central. Have fun- I hope to watch you all sail a way from afar to get in the mood for our 3/25 trip.

My boyfriend and I are going to be on the March 9th cruise and are looking forward to meeting lots of new people! Any hints on luggage - I seem to have alot - with the dress clothes required. We are from the philly area and will be driving up and doing the parking thing at the port - very expensive! :mad: Yes it is $180.00 Also I assume we can't take booze on the ship. We wanted to slip a bottle of bubbly ( or a couple of gallons of water:) ) on to celebrate. Budget and all you know!

This afternoon I received an $106 credit on my debit card, I wonder what that's all about? My travel agent called me the other day and said I was going to be upgraded. Guess I will have to make a phone call in the morning. I'm very confused??

My tickets arrived today! I had expected some information about excurions, programs, dress code for each night, ship info, etc.

Do we get all this once on board, or am I missing something?

We've been given a 2pm boarding time. Is there any benefit to arriving earlier? Say noon? Would we possibly avoid the longer lines? Is there any chance of the parking garage filling up?

So many questions, so little time...

A few weeks after I made final payment, I received a "voyage information" brochure with my name printed on the front cover. It has all the shore excursions and what to wear. And of course it pushed the fact that you should buy Cunard's insurance. Ask who ever booked the cruise for you they may have it.

A few questions:

I just received my Voyage Info Booklet two days ago, and it still shows Puerto Rico excursions. What do others say?

Does anyone know how long it'll take before we're definitely in 60-70 degree weather?

What do most people wear during the day when it's warm. Shorts and T-shirts or polo shirts, or are we expected to dress business casual unless we're at a pool or in the gym?

Any ideas for self-excursions?

See everyone soon!

Ptuws,

Those Voyage Information guides were probably printed a while ago. Puerto Rico is definitely out, we are St. Thomas bound for our first stop in the Caribbean. Incidentally, the long range St. Thomas weather forecast is calling for mostly sunny skies with a high of 83 for our arrival on Saturday March 12.

The first sea day out of New York, is usually around 50 degrees or so, with much warmer breezes replacing those bone chilling Manhattan gusts.

As far as afternoon dress, QM2 formal ship that she is, shorts and polo shirts are pretty much the norm.

Come join us all for a cordial at the Commodore Club on our first sea day, March 10 at 2 pm.

Happy Sails,

Cruiserking

Hi Cruiserking,

Thanks for the info and invite. We'll try to meet everyone at the Commodore, but we have to see how the babies (~1 and 3) settle in.

I'm looking forward to the nice weather.

ptuws

[font=Book Antiqua]We just got our papers today and it shows the proper stops. They will post whether each night is casual, formal or informal. We plan to horseback ride on one of the layovers, so let me know if anyone wants to join us. They offer it on all the islands. I was told that parking would not be a problem at the port authority - just expensive. Looking forward to meeting everyone![/font]

So having just recieved my tickets, but no Voyage Information Booklet, I called Cunard, who (after a huge run-around) now tell me that their printer chose not to send out the booklet because it was too close to the cuise date!

This being our first cruise, we're in need of any and all information we can get abour preparations. I've learned a great deal from these boards (thank you) and feel pretty well prepared, but wonder what I'm missing by not having these pre-cruise docs.

Which topics are covered in the booklet?
(I find it amazing that Cunard doesn't have this info as a downloadable pdf, or at the very least accessable on the web site...)

iy

Iyork,

The most interesting information in the pre-docs is a rundown on all of the excursions Cunard offers for each port of call. I'm sure you can get a list of these excursions from the tour office once you are onboard.

Cruiserking

Cruiserking

We'll be waiting to hear all about the cruise so please post a review when you return. Questions we have are: How many formal, semi formal, and casual nights did they have? How many wore tux as opposed to suits? If you were to choose which night to dine at Todd English, which would it be? Britannia menu-wise that is. How was tendering? How was the food and service? Did you try the spa area and how was it? How was embarkation and debarkation? Any shore excursions really great? That and all the general review stuff. Thanks in advance and have a great cruise.

Chuck & Phyllis

Chuck & Phyllis,

I will definitely write a review following our 3/9 QM2 voyage. I appreciate the advance questions as they will provide some kindling to focus my thoughts on.

With our 1 pm check-in time I am curious as to how crowded the cruise ship terminal will be at that hour. Previously, we've checked in at 2:30 pm and strolled aboard in moments.

Didn't get a chance to dine at the Todd English on our July cruise, so am eager to experience it this time around. With the popularity of this venue I suppose we will be fortunate to get a reservation at all, however, it would be nice to save for the latter part of the trip and look forward to it.

I also wonder if they've changed the production shows since last year. Just three more sleeps and we will be back aboard in the Britannia cruising down the Hudson river, I can't wait.

Cruiserking

A couple observations I've noticed on my last QM2 crossing.

1. When I received my tickets, I didn't realize that the embarkation time on the ticket were staggared boarding times. Mine said noon. This time it says 2pm. Do I have to wait till then? I'm going to arrive in NYC around 11am. The last time I just walked aboard with out a wait at all.

2. I dined in Todd English once during the crossing. They said it was sold out for the enitre crossing. When I ate, the room was very empty. I would assume that you could just walk up to the restaurant and they may seat you, if there are tables open. If they say it's full, I wouldn't take their word for it.

3. Double check the times for the shows in the daily newsletter. I missed one of them because I assumed it was after dinner. Rock the Opera was shown before dinner. This time I'm going to double check.

4. Cunard as a self help embarkation, for people who want to carry their own luggage off the ship. I'm going to take advantage of this. The day we dock is St Patty's day, and I have to get to Grand Central. If I hit it wrong, I may have trouble getting across town, because of the parade.

Archived