Teens on Navigator

Sthronds

I would appreciate any advice on this. I was wondering if there were any of you who brought your teens or knew of anyone who did on the Navigator. I have a friend with two boys 16 and 18 who would love to do this cruise but is concerned that her boys will have nothing to do or will not want to get dressed up for dinner. Does anyone have any advice. Would they be able to find enough to do or have alternatives to formal nights? Thanks in advance!

Sometimes, like Alaska, the ship has special programs for kids when the line knows a lot of them will be aboard. Otherwise, it really depends on the teens and how they like to be entertained. I have 4 in their 20's. In their teens, I did not want to be on the big ships because I don't like all that goes with traveling with so many passengers, even though there would be a lot for them to do. When we parents travel with our kids, if they are happy we will be, too. You just have to know what you require, and what would please your kids, and stay away from what they don't, or you may be miserable. I took all my kids to Alaska a couple of years ago, and they loved it, but they were older (20-27). It was a very special family time, and they did not feel the need to connect with other young people. I have never noticed a lot of families with children on any of my Radisson cruises, although there was a notorious "kids sail free" program on RSSC a couple of years ago on the Diamond that at least for one week was disastrous with the extra strain it put on the room service personnel. Thankfully, I was not on that cruise!

I'm afraid there is no getting out of not dressing up for dinner. They could go to the alternative restaurant on formal night and avoid the tux or suit, but they would still have to wear at least nice slacks and shirt. Definitely no jeans and tees. If they don't feel like dressing up at all there is always the option of room service in their cabin.

That being said, I have been on cruises where there were some teens aboard. How much they enjoyed it depends greatly on both the itinerary and the personalities of the teens. Radisson is definitely not as child and teen friendly as some of the more mass market lines--no game rooms, etc.

Doc Desdin, yes, and those teens might prefer room service! But they can't run around the ship's public areas in their jeans and tees on those nights. Perhaps this is a bit too personal opinion, but I tried to teach my children from an early age that at certain times, "dressing up" is required, not because I just said it, but because it was a part of their life, going to Sunday School, having family holiday celebrations, etc. Now they just ask what the dress code is for a certain event. They actually like getting dressed up. In their teens, they just did what they knew was expected. I for one think that most kids act a little differently when they are "dressed up"...they "act the part" so to speak.

In 2003 my grandparents took the whole of their family (15 people, 7 kids age 11-16) on the PG to Tahiti. I was 16 at the time and I loved it. I think that part of it was the fact that I like to spend time with my cousions and that the PG is much more casual with no formal nights. I really liked the fact that it was a small ship (my first time cruising) and how good the service and food were. Everyone had a wonderful time. Just watch out for people who don't want kids on the cruise. One bitter couple who said that they were in the cabin below me tried to blame my cousion and I for making too much noise and said that they could hear us in their room down below. However, there was not a cabin below us and the couple just wanted to blame us because they though that it was just a cruise for adults and we shouldn't be there. This did not hamper our vacation, however (we thought that it was rather funny) and we still had a wonderful time.

I only have one RSSC cruise under my belt, but I would have to say no to taking teens along. Our recent Navigator cruise was a seven night Caribbean cruise - typically the type of cruise that attracts the youngest crowd. There were some 30 somethings aboard and one young couple with an infant, but that's about it for the younger sector. My DH and I are both 44 and even we felt the nightlife was a bit bland. I would think if you are cruising during a holiday time there would be more young people aboard, but based on my one experience I would say this ship is definitely geared to the mature cruiser. It's a wonderful experience - understated elegance & exceptional service - I just don't see it as being a ship most teens would enjoy.

Jamie

Oh, the ship does not have wave runners or any water sports available right off the ship. Is it Diamond that offers that?

We took our 21 year old daughter on a Med. Cruise on the Diamond last year. Since that is a very sightseeing intensive itinerary, she was quite occupied during the day. At night though she really was a bit bored. She did try a little gambling, but was horrified at the thought of coming to the lounge and seeing her parents dance :eek: Luckily there were a couple others close to her age that she got together with a few times. Overall she enjoyed it, but was definitely ready to get off in Rome and shop ;)

Archived