Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

jkrislc - have to agree with you on the Double Tree. DH and I stayed there on Jan 6 and had a wonderful stay.

Shuttle from the airport was prompt, as was the shuttle to and from the mall.

The beds were amazing - I had a wonderful nights sleep.

The next morning the driver took us to Walgreens and because it was not very far we told him to just leave us and we would walk back. It was only about a mile or so.

We were so glad we walked back because we hadn't eaten breakfast yet and we came upon the Waffle House - it was the best breakfast I had eaten in a long time! The service was fantastic and it was really a fun place to eat! It is right across from the mall and just down from Walgreens.

The only snag we had was the shuttle to the port was a little late picking us up. Dh and I just took it stride - the Bucs were having there playoff game that day and they were short staffed 3 drivers! We got to the port at 1:00 instead of 12:30 - no biggy! It was kinda fun wathcing all the football fans heading to the game and the NFL filming crew back up all of their gear.

I would definately stay at the Double Tree again.

Good cookies too!

We are staying at the Springhill Suites in August. Does anyone know if there are any restaurants within walking distance from there? Is there a mall close to this hotel? Thanks for your help.:)

:) :) We stayed there, in Dec, We did 3 days pre cruise, its a 5 min. walk under Interstate as Ken says to Westshore mall, did look around there and did supper at steak and ale,Walgreens accross street from there. Pizza del., after Busch Gardens was good. and post cruise if you ask politely they did drop us at other mall on route to get pass. at airport, International mall? which in my life is very high end, nicest santa set up ever. Lots of Resturants there and we did Cheese Cake Factory. Ken I think had said huge portions, none of the six of us finished. Loved the hotel, big breakfast, no plane sounds, on 1st or 6th floor. One block away was ez car rental, 5 min walk, cheap new cars to rent for day to go to beaches!;) Enjoy:)

[

katie286 - Yes - It isn't very far to walk to the South to the Westshore Plaza mall. There's a Steak and Ale out front along Westshore Blvd. Joined to the mall is Maggiano's Italian and another place (the name slips me right now). Also, directly E on Cypress is Charley's Steakhouse.

Ken

Thanks so much Ken. We just wanted to know if we could walk to the Mall and to somewhere to grab dinner or if we would need a taxi. :)

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Rocky Point on 3/10. I believe they offer a shuttle to the port. Is this also allowing you to leave your car in Holiday's lot? If anyone has taken the shuttle, was there a long or delayed wait for folks to gather going over to the port? Returning to the Holiday Inn after the cruise? Will have a flight to catch. Thanks.

jessemon - . If they get more than 3 at a time, I suppose they would have to use that older place around there on Hooker's Point. I don't think folks would like that so much

Ken

Hooker's Point? I'm going to do it again. (Not very PC.) The ladies might not appreciate it much put the gentlemen might.:D

Just kidding.

See you are going out on the Zenith. Wife and I are going at Christmas. Wish we could go earlier. Oh well. We still need to meet up sometime here in Tampa. Channeside or someplace on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Jeff

HI,

Here is a review of the Embassy Suites Westshore Tampa. We stayed one night pre-cruise Jan 6th.

We arrived at the Tampa Airport, collected our luggage & then called for their airport shuttle. You wait to be picked up at the circular drive. It only took about 10 minutes for them to arrive. There was another group of 8 that was also waiting & we all managed to fit in one shuttle! Very nice driver & it only about 10 minutes or so to arrive at the Embassy Suites. Nice lobby area. We got their at 11am & they didn't have any rooms available. So we checked our luggage & were told to come back around 2:30. We walked to the Westshore Mall-they do have a free shuttle but this mall is right across the street. We had lunch at Maggianos. It's a nice mall & also has a food court. So after a little shopping we headed back to the hotel. It was about 3pm & they still didn't have our room available. Checkin is a 3pm. So around 3:30pm we finally got to our room It was very nice. 2bed, 2 bath. Very spacious. Small kitchen. Living room & both bedrooms offered really nice views from the 12th floor. The cost was $245.00. 1st bedroom has one queen bed, bathroom & tv. Living room has sofa, chair, tv & dinning table. 2nd bedroom has 2 queen beds, bathroom & tv. Plenty of room for the 6 of us. This hotel also has an outdoor pool & hot tub. It's across the driveway so you have to walk outside to get to it. They also have a cocktail managers reception nightly. Featuring popcorn & free drinks. Very good drinks too! We had a very nice lady bartender & she was great! Made wonderful maragritas! Lots of choices! We also ordered food from the resturant. It was ok. Nothing special but convienent. This hotel also has coin operated laundry facilities which could be handy if you have kids! Breakfast buffet was included the next morning. Included many options-just like being on the cruise! They didn't have a port shuttle but we had the front desk call a cab & it was only 16.00 from the hotel to the port. We arrived at the port about 11am. We were #1 group for boarding-right after priority boarding.

I have photos of the hotel if you would like to see them. Click or paste into your browser.......

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AcNWTdq1YsXSw

Sue

Question for Ken- you were so helpful when we stayed in Tampa a couple of weeks ago pre-cruise. The Embassy Westshore worked out wonderful!! I now need new advice! I am going to be coming into Tampa at the Amtrak train station, 601 Nebraska Avenue. I will be alone and need a hotel for one night. The Embassy is full. Do you have any ideas on a cheap place just for one night for just one person? I am driving to Bonita Springs in the am. I could stay near the train station and pick up my rental car in the am (at airport), or I can take a cab and stay near the airport and get my car that night or in am. I get in around 2:00 pm, is that area safe? Any info will help- thanks!! Keri

Keri - The closest hotel to the train station would be the Hampton Inn on 7th Ave in Ybor City. Second to that, would be the high end hotels in downtown Tampa. There are some no-tel motels further N. on Nebraska that are really cheap, even rent by the hour.:rolleyes: You don't want to go there. Actually, the area of the train station in Tampa isn't so good. It's not far from the "projects." I would recommend taking a cab from the train station to a location out near the airport that has an airport shuttle. Then, the next morning you could take the shuttle to the airport and go right to the rental counter and get your car. There is a Hampton Inn, AmeriSuites, Extended Stay America, and a LaQuinta Inn out there near the aiport. LaQuinta may also have an airport shuttle. As you know, there are a lot of other hotels out near the airport, but they cost more.

Ken

we stayed at the doubletree on Jan 15 and it was great! We arrived at the airport at about 9:40 pm and called for the free shuttle. They were there between 5-10 min later. We got their warm cookies when we arrived. The beds were comfy and the balcony overlooking the pool was nice. We left about 11;30 on the free shuttle to the port. It was about a 15 min ride. Today we called from the luggage claim and they were at the port about 15 min later to pick us up and give us a free ride back to the airport. We got a govt rate of $84 and felt that was a great value for rides from airport to hotel, hotel to port, and port to airport all for free (except tips) for 5 of us. They also had a coffee pot in the room and a couple coffee pouches and creamer pouches.

Here's the route I'd take at this time: From Rocky Point, head E. on State Rd 60 (Courtney Campbell Causeway) to Eisenhower Memorial Hwy and head right, or to the south.

As soon as you get on the highway, start working to get into one of the two left most lanes of traffic (if you don't you will be forced off at the airport exit). Follow the highway South to I-275 N (which is actually heading E at that point, technically), which is a right exit that loops up onto the Interstate.

Head E towards town on I-275 and continue to I-4 East.

Take I-4 E just a short distance to 21st St. Exit. This exit is screwed up right now due to constuction, and it will be a LEFT exit.

At the base of the ramp, take a right hand turn (to the South) and head South to State Road 60 (also called Adamo Drive). Turn right or to the West.

Follow Adamo Drive to where it turns to the left and that's Channelside Drive. YOU HAVE ARRIVED! The terminals are along Channelside Drive. The first one on the left is Terminal 6 for HAL, the second is Terminal 3, used by Royal Caribbean and others, and the next one is Terminal 2, used primarily by Carnival, and sometimes Royal Caribbean or HAL.

There is another way to do this, but a bridge is being rebuilt and all the detours would be confusing. I'm through this area all the time since I work around the area (our offices are on Rocky Point). I believe the above directions would be the best, easiest, and quickest way to make the trip. On a Saturday or Sunday morning, this would take 15-20 minutes, tops. Weekday mornings, God only knows how long it would take (30 minutes to an hour or more, depending on the time of day).

Enjoy your trip.

Ken

Ken- I hope I haven't screwed up!! Everything I was looking for on Feb. 7 was sold out or very expensive. The cheapest hotel I could find was the La Quinta Airport for 107, I probably should have taken it, but I took my chances and got the Days Inn Airport for $60. Is this terrible? I am only going to sleep there, I will have been on a train for 3 days so I just want to lay down- in a safe, hopefully clean area!! Also, do you know anything about the Salvadore Dali gallery? I am driving down to Ft. Myers the next day to meet my friends who are flying in (I don't fly!) and I have a little time to kill, would love to see it if it is worth the trip--? Thanks again for all of your help!!Keri

Ken- I hope I haven't screwed up!! Everything I was looking for on Feb. 7 was sold out or very expensive. The cheapest hotel I could find was the La Quinta Airport for 107, I probably should have taken it, but I took my chances and got the Days Inn Airport for $60. Is this terrible? I am only going to sleep there, I will have been on a train for 3 days so I just want to lay down- in a safe, hopefully clean area!! Also, do you know anything about the Salvadore Dali gallery? I am driving down to Ft. Myers the next day to meet my friends who are flying in (I don't fly!) and I have a little time to kill, would love to see it if it is worth the trip--? Thanks again for all of your help!!Keri

Hey Keri.

Ken is the master of hotels here in Tampa. We live here and only use a few for events. But if you want to do the "Dali Museum" I can help. It is a MUST SEE. Do a guided tour. The info the guide will give you is amazing. If you don't do the guided tour you will miss alot. This is the second largest "Dali" museum in the world. There are 4 masterworks there. They are approx. 4 x 8 paintings. The "Hallucinogenic Toreador" is worth the price of admission alone. You can look up everything you need to know (including directions) at www.salvadordalimuseum.org. This is a must see museum.

Again...make sure you do the guided tour to start...:cool:

Jeff

I just recently got back from Tampa, and I stayed at the Hilton by the airport. I would recomend staying here. They have a transport to and from the airport, and they will also take you to the port for $5.00. The only thing they won't do is pick you up fromthe port. The taxi cost $17.50 back to the Hilton. The great thing is the shuttle will take you anywhere in a 2 mile radious. In this radious they just built a Target in a mini mall, and in that mini mall they now have a liquor store. So you can pick up any liquor you need, and any last minute items at a reasonable price. I hope this info helps.

Take care, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Bobbi-Jo

Would anyone know what the story is with the Days Inn Rocky Point? We stayed there and loved it a few years ago. I hear that it was torn down?!?!?! Are they re-building it? Any clue if and when it will re-open?

We also LOVED the Green Iguana Restaurant! Any recommendations on what other hotels are within walking distance to it on Rocky Point?

Thanks to everyone on these boards for posting. Sure is helpful, to say the least. LOL

Sea ya,

Cathy

Yes, the Days Inn AND the Green Iguana at Rocky Point were torn down. Nothing there now but dirt. No, they won't be rebuilt. I heard that it's going to be a condo complex or something like that. Us guys at work (our office is on Rocky Point) were very sad at having the Green Iguana torn down. They had GREAT burgers there.

All of the varoius available hotels on Rocky Point are covered thoroughly earlier in this thread. Briefly, the options at Rocky Point are: Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Chase Suites, Double Tree Suites (the one on Rocky Point, not on W. Cypress St in Tampa), and the Radission Bay Harbor Inn.

Green Iguana is gone, but the Bahama Breeze is there, and it's a nice place to go, with very good food as well.

Ken

Keri, I think the Days Inn Airport is on Dale Mabry Hwy. It's an older 2 level motel with outside corridors. The area is safe and I think there is a Bennigans right in front as well as other places in easy walking distance. You are less than 2 miles from the airport. The price seems to be about as good as you are going to find. For one night you will be fine. If you want to try Priceline, and you can try right up until you leave, you want to bid in the Westshore Airport area. Don't bid less than a 3 star, and I wouldn't go over $60 either, since all you need is a place to sleep and shower for one night.

Thanks for the directions Cracker Ken. You are a great help on this thread.

I never realized it could take 30 minutes to an hour to get to the port from Rocky Point on Monday morning. We will plan accordingly. On a map it only looks to be 10 to 15 minutes.

Signman - Yes, I know about that one on Dale Mabry N. of Kennedy. As far as I know, it's still up and running. These days, they have a "Crazy Buffet" place next door, supposed to be a great Chinese (also called "Asian Fusion") buffet. I failed to notice CruisinKeri's question about the Days Inn Airport (sorry Keri).

I was talking about the Days Inn on Rocky Point, as being the one that was torn down, in response to CatP27's question.

Ken

Jeff- thanks for the vote on Dali- I will definitely make it a stop on my trip. How much time should I allow? I think it is about 2-2.5 hrs for me to get from St. Petersburg to Ft. Myers- does that sound about right? Thanks again! Keri

Keri,

I would allow at least 2 hours at the museum. If you like Dali, allow a little more. Getting back on the highway is easy and travel south about 2 hrs. By the way, you will be going over the Sunshine Skyway...hav a dollar ready for the toll.:eek:

Ken,

They are building a condo at the old Days Inn/Green Iguana. Boy I miss that Green Iguana. Spent more than a few beautiful afternoons there. The condo sold out in about 120 days. The penthouse went for 3.5 mil. Rumor also has it that on the same property they are going to build a hotel somehow. I heared it was a Wyndam resort.

Jeff