Hotel suggestions for Tampa

lambcom

We have a cruise next December out of Tampa. My BIL has booked the Marriott Westshore. Is it a good hotel? How far from the airport? How far from the port?

Is the Doubletree a better hotel?

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

We just stayed there Jan 14th post cruise. It was $166.00 including taxes. It also included 2 adult breakfast buffets & the kids were free. I thought it was great, clean & comfy beds. They have an indoor/outdoor pool which worked really well with the chilly weather. Besides the restuarant they have a sports bar, starbucks, and a business center. I printed our boarding passes for our flights from the business center-it's free. Free shuttle to the area's malls and also to the airport. Airport is very close. 10 min. or so. Port is about 7 miles maybe. Taxi was about $16.00 & I've heard the average is around $20.00.

I would stay there again.

I also stayed precruise at the Embassy Suites. It was nice too.

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Sue: Thanks for the positive feedback...It always helps so much to hear that someone is willing to recommend a place!

After reading this ENTIRE thread, and spending a great deal of time trying to weigh the relative merits of the Tampa area hotels, I have booked the Marriott Westshore for our pre-cruise stay next month.

While the price was good compared to some others I was considering, and the free parking made the bottom line even better, in the end what tipped the scale in favor of this hotel was the indoor/outdoor pool. With two kids (3 and 7), I knew that if the weather was less than tropical - and that may very well be the case in Feb.- the indoor pool would be the difference between the kids having fun, and having a positive start to the vacation, and, well, not...

Even though many of the hotels had heated pools, that only goes so far, and doesn't cut it if it's truly chilly or raining.

Also, we'll have a car, and the activities I'm planning are sort-of weather dependent (Cap't Memo's pirate ship out of Clearwater and Busch Gardens.) So, if it's warm and nice the pool won't much matter, but if it's dismal, the indoor pool will (literally!) save the day.

Roberta: I'll hopefully add my thumbs up to Sue's in about a month!

Sue: Thanks for the positive feedback...It always helps so much to hear that someone is willing to recommend a place!

After reading this ENTIRE thread, and spending a great deal of time trying to weigh the relative merits of the Tampa area hotels, I have booked the Marriott Westshore for our pre-cruise stay next month.

While the price was good compared to some others I was considering, and the free parking made the bottom line even better, in the end what tipped the scale in favor of this hotel was the indoor/outdoor pool. With two kids (3 and 7), I knew that if the weather was less than tropical - and that may very well be the case in Feb.- the indoor pool would be the difference between the kids having fun, and having a positive start to the vacation, and, well, not...

Even though many of the hotels had heated pools, that only goes so far, and doesn't cut it if it's truly chilly or raining.

Also, we'll have a car, and the activities I'm planning are sort-of weather dependent (Cap't Memo's pirate ship out of Clearwater and Busch Gardens.) So, if it's warm and nice the pool won't much matter, but if it's dismal, the indoor pool will (literally!) save the day.

Roberta: I'll hopefully add my thumbs up to Sue's in about a month![/QUOT

Do they had a free shuddle to the port?

Well, I think we have to change our plans! We are booked at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point. But, my girlfriend and I will fly in from Atlanta. Her daughter and three of her girlfriends are driving in to Tampa from college. Now, we will have 6 girls and ALL that lugguge to get into a midsize/compact car! No way! So, any suggestions for a hotel near the port that has pick up from the airport, and shuttle to the port? I guess we also need a hotel not too far from the port! Otherwise we will have to follow directions! Oh No! Our room at Holiday Inn will sleep all six of us. (we are on a budget-sort of). Thanks!

For a group like yours with a car and transportation needs I would definitely recommend the Chase Suites.

Our group had 8 folks. Six were flying and two were driving. We had two 2 bedroom/2 bath suites that included a kitchenette. The hotel picked the 6 fliers up at the airport. There is a Bahama Breeze restaurant a few steps away. The Chase will also transport you for free within a five mile range. Included in the price was a free buffet breakfast and transportation for all 8 to the port. The driver was able to park her car at hotel for the length of the cruise. When we returned from our cruise the hotel picked us at the port and drove the 6 of us to the airport and the other two back to the hotel to pick up their car.

The parking your car and the free transportation back to the airport were the clinchers for us. I'm sure a two bedroom suite will be more than enough for 6 ladies. When you divide the cost by six and include all the freebies I think it will be a good deal.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about post cruise hotels. We will be ending a cruise there in Oct. Is there any hotel that picks up at the port to take us back for a post cruise stay. Would it be easier to get to the airport and than rent a car and go from there?

pamkev-since teh Doubletree Westshore picked us up free from the port and took us back to the airport for free, I am sure they would take you back to their hotel instead. We got a rate of $84 (govt) for one night for the 5 of us. They also had free shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port (and back to airport at end). The beds were great. Get a warm cookie on checkin. We did not have to wait for shuttles to fill up like some have said about other hotels. we would stay there again for sure! we had picked up brueggers from home before we flew out and that was breakfast since we knew we would be feeding our faces about 12 that day anyway!

pamkev-since teh Doubletree Westshore picked us up free from the port and took us back to the airport for free, I am sure they would take you back to their hotel instead. We got a rate of $84 (govt) for one night for the 5 of us. They also had free shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to port (and back to airport at end). The beds were great. Get a warm cookie on checkin. We did not have to wait for shuttles to fill up like some have said about other hotels. we would stay there again for sure! we had picked up brueggers from home before we flew out and that was breakfast since we knew we would be feeding our faces about 12 that day anyway!

Thanks will check them out!

Pam

I haven't been by there in a while, but it doesn't surprise me. I also checked the Holiday Inn web site, and it's no longer listed. If this was the property on Fowler Ave across from the University Square Mall, it was a nice motel at one time. I haven't noticed what it is lately. Also - FYI - Pratically every motel/hotel in the immediate vicinity of Busch Gardens is a dump, or heading in that direction. In my opinion, the only thing on Busch Blvd worth being at, or going to, is Busch Gardens itself. That's really nice place, but urban sprawl had enveloped the area. It isn't what it was 20,30, 40 yrs ago. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the motels in that area now rent by the hour. There are other nice places within decent driving distance of Busch Gardens.

Ken

I spoke with Doubletree today and was told that the government rate did not include the parking nor shuttle service to the port. Any tricks I can use to get it?

Ginger

Splendour 1/05

Grandeur 2/06

willsma - That area has lots of places to eat, a big mall, etc. It's not too bad. There are a couple of hotels on E Fowler Ave, just E of N. 30th St that are nice. The names are slipping me right now. One is the Embassy Suites on the grounds of the University of S FL. Another might be a LaQuinta Inn, but not sure. There are also some nice hotels at I-75 and Fletcher Avenue in NE Tampa as well.

Ken

We will be staying at the Hampton Inn - Westshore Dr. at the end of March. I was wondering if there are any restaurants within walking distance of this hotel?

If this question has already been asked, I apologize. There are so many pages on Tampa hotels that I gave up after the first 6 pages.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Donna

Hi Ken,

We are cruising in April and I have a question. Do you happen to know if the Holiday Inn Express in Wesley Chapel on SR 54W is in a nice area? I know it is off I-75 exit 279 close to where we have to get on 275 to head to the port. Any nice restaurants around there, do you happen to know? Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Lulu

Hey Ken,

Hope no one minds but I'm using this post as a test. Having a little problem with the boards for some reason. The only thing I can get to come up on my sign in search is cruiseline threads I'm in.

Thanks for understanding.

Jessemon - Things are really screwy these days on CC. Hard to figure it out. The other night I made a post 3 times without knowing it.Sometimes it's so difficult to use that we give it up. DW is on here a lot during the day, and sometimes she gives up on it. I know it would be very unpopular, but I think a solution to the problems could be to disallow the various little cute icons that do animations, countdown clocks, lots of pictures in signature blocks, etc. Nothing but the littl emoticons should be allowed. If that was tried for a week, there could be a huge difference. Think of the bandwidth all that "data" demands when moving around? Some of the things people have on their posts draw upon another web site while it's up on the screens, and that's more bandwidth. I lot of people couldn't stand it if those things were turned off.

Ken

dmc - There is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse within a couple of short blocks. That's expensive. On the E. side of Westshore, about a blk N of the Hampton is a restaurant. It used to be Houlihans, but it has changed names and I can't recall it at the moment. If you are there during the day, on Laurel St just to the W of Westshore, there is a place called LaBamba. It's a little Cuban cafe. Good Cuban sandwiches and other dishes like Cuban style roast pork and baked chicken, and more. The locals go there for lunch, from all the business offices in the vicinity. There are more places to the S on Westshore, within about a mile, around the Westshore Plaza Mall. There are others on Boy Scout Blvd across from the International Plaza mall.

lillulu - That's not a bad area. There's all the normal things you find at an interstate exit. That area tends to be the gateway for the bedroom communities for Tampa. Lots of places to eat. Lots of stores too. There are things both to the E and W of I-75 within a mile either way. There's an Outback Steakhouse at SR 54 and I-75, along with a Cracker Barrel, and lots more. You will be about 30 minutes from the port. From where you will be, there are two choices on getting to the port. One is to go S on I-75 to the I-275 cutoff and head through the busy part of Tampa and down to the port. Depending on the day of the week, it can be rough traffic in that direction (on weekdays). Not too bad on weekends. The other option is to take I-75 (don't get off at I-275) and take it all the way S. to the SR60 -Adamo Drive exit. Get off there, go right, or to the W, and stay on SR 60 (also called Adamo Drive) all the way down to the port.

Ken