Maritime Museum of Atlantic in Halifax

Has anyone ever been there? We are going to Nova Scotia in June and I know my DH and DD would love this but I'm wondering how long we will spend there? Is it an all day activity or just an hour or two? The website doesn't seem to have a lot of information.:confused:

Has anyone ever been there? We are going to Nova Scotia in June and I know my DH and DD would love this but I'm wondering how long we will spend there? Is it an all day activity or just an hour or two? The website doesn't seem to have a lot of information.:confused:

I have been there several times and it can be nicely done in a couple of hours.

We have visited twice. We found it great for a morning tour, followed by lunch, and then an afternoon activity. The Titanic exhibit is very moving (and is one of the museum's main attractions - it gets crowded), but the Halifax Explosion exhibit, the shipwrecks exhibit, and the model ships exhibit are well worth the visit. Also included in your admission is a tour of the 1913 scientific ship Acadia, docked near the museum. Our kids loved exploring the ship.

We have visited twice. We found it great for a morning tour, followed by lunch, and then an afternoon activity. The Titanic exhibit is very moving (and is one of the museum's main attractions - it gets crowded), but the Halifax Explosion exhibit, the shipwrecks exhibit, and the model ships exhibit are well worth the visit. Also included in your admission is a tour of the 1913 scientific ship Acadia, docked near the museum. Our kids loved exploring the ship.

Hi,

We are going to visit Halifax w/ the Maasdam in early June and plan to include a visit to this museum on our own while we have use of a car rental for the day. I noticed that you have three kids, what else do you recommend that tweens/teens will enjoy in Halifax along with a 2 hour visit to this museum? ( My sons are 11 and 13, both love history and are fairly mature and engaged travelers despite their age yet enjoy active shore excursions too)

Also did you visit Bar Harbor, Sydney, or Charlottestown PEI? If so, what did you all visit there that your kids really enjoyed? Did you see any puffins or whales? Did you do any kayaking? Did you rent a car and find a hidden treasure? etc We are also going to Quebec and Montreal if you have any favorite thing that you'd recommend for there too...

thanks,

Kim

I am also interested in ports in Bar Harbor and Sydney, etc. on all the ports on the 6/13 from Boston.

Anyone have more info?. I know my group will be going to the Maritime Museum in Halifax.....we heard it might be walking distance from the dock. Maybe there will be some kind of bus or shuttle. I will in a group of docents from a Maritime Museum in Oxnard CAHope to hear from you.

Jackie

Hi,

We are going to visit Halifax w/ the Maasdam in early June and plan to include a visit to this museum on our own while we have use of a car rental for the day. I noticed that you have three kids, what else do you recommend that tweens/teens will enjoy in Halifax along with a 2 hour visit to this museum? ( My sons are 11 and 13, both love history and are fairly mature and engaged travelers despite their age yet enjoy active shore excursions too)

Also did you visit Bar Harbor, Sydney, or Charlottestown PEI? If so, what did you all visit there that your kids really enjoyed? Did you see any puffins or whales? Did you do any kayaking? Did you rent a car and find a hidden treasure? etc We are also going to Quebec and Montreal if you have any favorite thing that you'd recommend for there too...

thanks,

Kim

There are a number of boat tours along the waterfront in Halifax. On our second Halifax cruise, I took our youngest son on Theodore Tugboat for the "Big Harbour Tour" while DH took our two older sons on the Harbour Hopper amphibious tour. The latter tour is a one-hour tour in a duck boat - 1/2 hour touring the streets around Halifax, 1/2 hour harbor tour. Our boys loved that one. (Youngest loved Theodore - the captain let the kids sit in the captain's chair - but it's geared toward the younger kids.)

If you have a car, you might enjoy driving to Peggy's Cove. We hired a driver to take us there one one of our cruises (we went to Peggy's Cove in the morning and did the harbor tours in the afternoon). My kids liked climbing on the rocks around the lighthouse. If you want to do Peggy's Cove and the museum, I'd recommend doing one in the morning, stopping for lunch, and doing one in the afternoon.

I've been to Montreal on land-based vacations - I really like Place Jacques Cartier and the surrounding streets in the Old City. There are a number of good cafes, street artists (we've purchased a couple of works from the street artists, and even if you don't buy there are some nice works to see), and musicians. The Notre Dame Basilica is beautiful and a short walk from Place Jacques Cartier. It's been too many years since I've visited Quebec City to make any recommendations (the last time I was there was when I was a kid, in 1969!)

I'm afraid I haven't visited Bar Harbor, Sydney or PEI - :( but I'd like to!

Jackie S - The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is a very easy walk from the cruise ship area. There's a boardwalk that runs from the dock along the waterfront, and you just follow the boardwalk. It's no more than 15 minutes.

Yes, the Maritime museum is a short walk. We have been there twice and the second time in Oct 2007, there also was a pirate theme on the first level. You can request free information from the city of Halifax (as well as all the 4 Princess stops on the NYC roundtrip)

Archived