Best island to snorkel - St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, or Kitts

I'm glad you posted that question. I'm also going on the Victory ship in June 7th. I have never snorkled and I am curious where the best place is to snorkle. It seems to me I read somewhere Dominica is not one of them though. Also, where is the best place to go kayaking?

Patty

St. Kitts- Frigate Bay. cabbed it on our own and rented chairs. it was a great spot, and plenty of little bars and restaurants. rental equipment available if you do not have your own. lose monkeys and goats hanging out. together. good times.

Dominica- 1)Champagne reef. rented a car to get there. scary driving here, but fun. there are excursions too. You can rent equipment there. small park entrance fee. excellent spot. Crystal clear water and bubbles everywhere.

2) Scotts head. park at the end of the beach and walk along the shore line of the bay as far as you can go toward the big rock. this is not worth it is you are taking a cab , way too expensive, if you rented a car, worth it, b/c it is a cute fishing village.

Antigua- could not find good snorkeling but the beaches are great. took the public vans which are the busses of the island. craaaaaazy.

St Thomas-over developed, but have not tried that site near coral world. We always take the ferry to St. John, but those reefs are also getting depleted.

Of these Frigate bay was really a suprise. This was in 2006, so unless they developed the area more -which always bring sediment into the water, this was a good spot. When heading out into the water swim to the left. Mr. X at the Shiggity Shack can direct you. He rented us chairs. We like Champagne reef, but there were no facilities, so bring water or snacks if you like to snorkel for a long time.

St. Thomas - Coki Beach - take a taxi to Coki from the ship...cost is about $10 per person each way...no charge to use the beach and snorkel but they charge to rent lounge chairs and snorkel gear.....excellent snorkeling right from the beach...it is right next to Coral World.....go early in the morning as it starts to get crowded around Noon. Snorkel in the morning and shop in the afternoon in St. Thomas

Dominica - Champagne Reef is wonderful....I was not sure what to expect but loved the bubbles, good visibility, easy access right from the rocky area (it is not a beach, but a rocky area to walk on to access the water - wear water shoes and you will be OK)....lots of beautiful fish...

Antigua - beautiful beaches but never could find good snorkeling.

Make sure you get to Coki and Champagne Reef!!

We went about two years ago and had a great experience with Thriller tours in Barbados! He uses speed boats so you can beat the larger boats to the sites and there were only six in our group. The water was very clear and the the beach stop was one of the best beaches I have been to. The rum punch the serve is wonderful!

For St. Lucia, we took a tour through Cosol and it was by far the best excursion were have ever done. We did do some snorkeling (its optional) but the entire tour is just amazing so you may want to think about it. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from AOS. Son-in-law scuba dives. He said Dominica was wonderful. He knew nothing about Dominica and only went there because it worked with his schedule. Champagne Reef...he wants to go back again. He said when he came up from the Dive, the water was covered on one side by people who were snorkeling and that they could snorkel in the bubbles. He said it was amazing.

• 1 month later...
St. Thomas - Coki Beach - take a taxi to Coki from the ship...cost is about $10 per person each way...no charge to use the beach and snorkel but they charge to rent lounge chairs and snorkel gear.....excellent snorkeling right from the beach...it is right next to Coral World.....go early in the morning as it starts to get crowded around Noon. Snorkel in the morning and shop in the afternoon in St. Thomas

Dominica - Champagne Reef is wonderful....I was not sure what to expect but loved the bubbles, good visibility, easy access right from the rocky area (it is not a beach, but a rocky area to walk on to access the water - wear water shoes and you will be OK)....lots of beautiful fish...

Antigua - beautiful beaches but never could find good snorkeling.

Make sure you get to Coki and Champagne Reef!!

many thanks!!

I've been searching for three days for this type of info.

Archived