NCL Epic Hull Art Announced

sjbdtz

What is it about her size, as opposed to the size of Freedom and Voyager Class ships which both have visited and sailed from Boston and NY, that would make it impossible for her to sail from NY? In comparison to many of the other over the top design features of the Epic, I actually think her hull art is quite subdued especially when viewed beside the hull art on other NCL ships.:) To me, that is a good thing, but obviously there are many who would prefer something more spectacular.

I don't think she'd be small enough to fit between the piers in NYC and unless they built a new pier for her the turn would be insane trying to get into the dock area and she would need tugs for sure. We don't want another incident like the Spirit last year when she hit the pier. :eek: Plus, the ship is really designed for a warm weather climate. They wouldn't be able to utilize the pool deck and all of its toys in the winter months until they got further south. However, my reply was meant for the specific poster and for reasons that poster knows. ;)

As for the hull art... I was hoping it'd be the whole length of the ship and be something similar to what the Norwegian Jewel had with sparkles along the side or a trailing banner of sorts down 3/4 the length of the ship and even run it over the balconies too. Hmm... oh well... it'll do though! :)

Dainty Dump Truck???!! :eek: C'mon now! I know you better than that and it's not a dump truck! Love the ship! Feel for the ship! Although you'll probably never sail on her unless she moves up to NYC which may very well be impossible given her size. Still I think her outer appearance isn't too much different than any other ship in the fleet with the exception of the Villa complex. :cool: The hull art is a little disappointing though! Dump truck is a bit harsh!!! :p

I knew you would not let me get away with that CruisinMaterial, that is honest to god the first thing that came to mind though. It was either that or the NCL execs got a little nutty with there kids lego's, and this was the outcome :p

What is it about her size, as opposed to the size of Freedom and Voyager Class ships which both have visited and sailed from Boston and NY, that would make it impossible for her to sail from NY?

The Epic is too long for the Manhattan cruise terminals, just like the Queen Mary 2 is. For a season of cruises, it'll have to use the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Although Manhattan cruise terminal may accept her for a one off cruise or two. The Royal Caribbean ships dock in Bayonne.

The largest potential problem I foresee is sailing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Seasonal contractions and expansions of the steel cables cause the double-decked roadway to be 12 feet lower in the summer than in the winter. Clearance below midspan is 228 feet (69.5 m) at average high water.

We don't know how high the Epic masts are above water. The Voyager of the Seas class is 181 feet, Freedom of the Seas class is 181 feet, and Oasis of the Seas class is 213 feet, and Queen Mary 2 is 204 feet.

It'll be interesting to see if the Epic can sail under that bridge. I believe it will, that's why NCL moved the courtyard complex forward on the ship, so the funnels wouldn't have to rise higher than they already do. But the height above waterline statistic isn't public yet. (or height above keel and draft)

I don't think she'd be small enough to fit between the piers in NYC and unless they built a new pier for her the turn would be insane trying to get into the dock area and she would need tugs for sure. We don't want another incident like the Spirit last year when she hit the pier. :eek: Plus, the ship is really designed for a warm weather climate. They wouldn't be able to utilize the pool deck and all of its toys in the winter months until they got further south. However, my reply was meant for the specific poster and for reasons that poster knows. ;)

They should have no problem getting the Epic into NYC. The QM2 about the same size was docked next to us in NYC. She did stick out into the Hudson River a bit.

QM2

Length: 1,132 feet

Beam: 135 feet

Beam at Bridge Wings: 147.5 feet

Draft: 32 feet 10 inches

Height (Keel to Funnel): 236.2 feet

Gross Tonnage: Approximately 151,400 gross tonnes

Right now the rumor mill has the TA ending in NYC.

I don't think the hullart is bad, just very plain like many have already said. I too prefer something more dramatic and colourful.

It reminded me of something when I first looked at the renderings, then it hit me...

NorwegianPringles.jpg

I'm with you, Big Steve. I think it's really underwhelming! I still think it looks like something my grandson built with his lego set. :rolleyes: I'm sure many will like her and sail her, but she's definitely not for me. :p

DT

I don't think the ship itself is very attractive, and the hull art is a let down. But I wouldn't allow either of those to deter me from taking a cruise on her. Wife wants so badly to sail on the Epic. Me? 4000 cruisers sounds like 2000 too many to me. Ice bar? How silly can you get?

I knew you would not let me get away with that CruisinMaterial, that is honest to god the first thing that came to mind though. It was either that or the NCL execs got a little nutty with there kids lego's, and this was the outcome :p

Lego my ego! She's different but still beautiful! You're right you knew I wouldn't let you get away with it! :p We'll have to grab a drink at Paradiso and kabitz on the cruising world! :D

Should be interesting to see what NCL has up their sleeves for the final entertainment reveal whilst I'm on the cruise! May 20th is the final reveal and I can't wait. I'm definitely going to be in touch with the future cruise salesperson onboard to find out what the big secret is this time! :D

They should have no problem getting the Epic into NYC. The QM2 about the same size was docked next to us in NYC. She did stick out into the Hudson River a bit.

Right now the rumor mill has the TA ending in NYC.

She will definitely stick out into the Hudson for sure! She may just be able to make it into NYC after all but I don't think NCL would keep her there year around because of her pool deck. That's going to be the main attraction for the kiddies and the kiddies at heart (including me)! :D

NorwegianPringles.jpg

OMG... You're right!! It's the Pringles Man!!! I think NCL still has time to change the hull art though. I don't think they've started painting the ship yet so we're fine! I think they should put up all their options and let people VOTE on them. It would generate enthusiasm for the ship too! :D

But the Epic appears taller than than the Queen Mary 2. There have been many negative remarks about her top hat area. Whether she is will be determined whenever her height is disclosed. I could see a situation where she can sail under the bridge during the winter and not during the summer.

But the Epic appears taller than than the Queen Mary 2. There have been many negative remarks about her top hat area. Whether she is will be determined whenever her height is disclosed. I could see a situation where she can sail under the bridge during the winter and not during the summer.

Ah yes Don but why would they put the ship up here where a good chunk of her top deck which will be utilized for entertainment venues will not be able to be used for at least a day into and back from the cruise? :cool::(

There's a ton of money generating revenue sources on the open top decks (specifically nightclubs).

Although the hat looks high perched forward it is (if the renderings are to scale) no higher then the funnels. Months ago I did the research and found the clearance under the Narrows Bridge added 15 feet to the Freedom class and the Epic would be fine getting into NYC. Clearly it is not going to sail from NYC and the TA may be the only time she is in the City.

She will definitely stick out into the Hudson for sure! She may just be able to make it into NYC after all but I don't think NCL would keep her there year around because of her pool deck. That's going to be the main attraction for the kiddies and the kiddies at heart (including me)! :D

I found this picture of the QM2 in NYC by one of the folks on the same cruise as me. Sticking out for sure

1451730560059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

I found this picture of the QM2 in NYC by one of the folks on the same cruise as me. Sticking out for sure

1451730560059187889S425x425Q85.jpg

The QM2 is 1132 feet long, the Epic will be 1080 feet long, 52 feet shorter. Therefore, the Epic will not stick out into the Hudson as far as the QM2.

FYI, the QM2's beam is 135 feet, the Epic's beam will be 132 feet. Therefore the Epic will be slightly easier to maneuver near the Manhattan piers than the QM2, but not by much.

That's not silly! A ship so large that it requires neighborhoods is silly! :p:D I think it's revolutionary to incorporate something so cold into such a hot ship!

Im jazzed about the Oasis, guess we will have to meet up for a drink again and re-hash the cruising debate :p

Im jazzed about the Oasis, guess we will have to meet up for a drink again and re-hash the cruising debate :p

The Oasis is out of Fort Lauderdale? How are you going to get down there? It may one day work it's way up to Bayonne but FLL is quite the drive! :eek:

There's even a vicious rumor floating about that Rich will not book the Oasis because it's not the right type of ship! That's interesting. I guess the neighborhoods don't allow for a mass gathering spot that would be needed for the parties.

The topic deck of the Norwegian Epic - especially aft would be an incredible place to host the parties! We will definitely have to chat it up. I can pencil you in between semesters!! :eek::p If you're around Memorial Day weekend I'll be around then. Might even venture to Boston and get those club shoes a real run for their money!! :D

I don't think the ship itself is very attractive, and the hull art is a let down. But I wouldn't allow either of those to deter me from taking a cruise on her. Wife wants so badly to sail on the Epic. Me? 4000 cruisers sounds like 2000 too many to me. Ice bar? How silly can you get?

And the pax to crew ration is substantially higher than the rest of the fleet. If the crew has trouble maintaining quality service (not saying in all cases they do) in current size ships, what will the service be like when they have 20-30% more work to do? At least the Oasis is maintaining current levels of pax to crew ratios.

DT

I'm catching up with you, Luv4dacruise. When I first heard about the Epic and Oasis, I wasn't in favor of sailing either of them because of their size. But the more I read about them, my unfavorable thoughts about the Epic grew, and my opinion of the Oasis grew more favorable. I think I will sail her once her prices come down to levels I regard affordable. :)

DT

Archived