Discover Scuba excursions

Hey Guys and Gals -

I really, really want to try Scuba Diving in one of my port excursions. I'd be willing to pay a nice price but I want to make sure I will have enough time to actually scuba once I do all the other stuff. What I don't want is to spend an hour in a pool, then "scuba" in 8 feet of water off a beach for 45 minutes.

I'm looking at a Discover Scuba course in St. Kitts that lasts for five hours. Anyone have any insight about these type of courses? Do they take you out on a reef or cool dive once they "teach" you?

I'd also be interested to see if any other Discover Scuba recommendations in St Kitts, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, or St Lucia.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, We went on the Regent Tahiti dive cruise last fall and had a good time. We are experienced divers (100+) but people we met learned to dive on the 12 day cruise and were pleased. Regent does its dive training off the back of the ship when in good locations so you get to dive right away. Our only problem was too many divers took the trip so we had to use outside companies to do more advanced dives.

Good luck but do not rush into diving. It might be good to take a dive course near your home and do the pool work there so you are ready for a dive cruise.

Good luck and write if you have other questions.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I did Discover Scuba in St Martin on my Valor cruise. We booked through the ship and they used Dive Safari. We were very happy with them. Had a lot of fun and was able to do a shallow dive. I think you will really enjoy it. Probably save yourself a lot of money if you book outside the ship. Here is a link for Dive Safari (the link for Discover Scuba is on this main page):

http://www.divestmaarten.com/

I have to warn you though, diving is as addicting as cruising. Within weeks of doing my Discover Scuba I was taking classes at my local dive shop to get certified and have scuba dived on every cruise since.

I would advise you to check with a local shop and try it with them first before going on a 5 hour tour. Scuba is great, lots of fun and can be dangerous if your not careful or go out with inexperienced groups. Many local shops will do a so called discover scuba when they have classes. If you like it take the classes with them and start a relationship with a dive center.

If you want a great dive experience look at Blackbeard's Dive Cruises. Did them a long time ago when they went out of Miami. Think they go out of Freeport now. Cant beat the price and the diving and amount of dives were great.

http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

Archived