RC - Mariner of the Seas - Good hotels in LA? and transportation to cruise terminal?

Hi all,

I am traveling on the Mariner of the Seas June 21. Last minute decision due to the price drops and cheap flight prices. I want to fly in early that Friday and stay a couple of days, as my teenage son wants to see LA.

I'm trying to figure out what hotel to stay at. Not sure if I should stay close to the cruise terminal (San Pedro????), and drive into LA and down to Anaheim (renting a car for the weekend). Stay in LA with a rental car. Or if it is possible to stay in LA, get around without renting a car (light rail, bus, etc), and then somehow get to the cruise terminal.

If renting a car, I would need a way to return it, and then get back to the cruise terminal on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

If you have any ideas, and any specific hotels that you have used and enjoyed or that may have special perks like shuttles to the cruise terminal, I would appreciate it.

I found the roll call for my cruise but it is around 350 pages long!

Thanks

Double Tree in San Pedro - I will answer you here. We have stayed at the Double Tree many times pre and post cruise. There are several good resteraunts nearby. They will shuttle you for free to the cruise ship terminal. We usually wake, have breakfast then take a nice walk down to a very nice beach south of the Marina. I am a member of Hilton Honors and usually use points, but if you don't have points it is usually affordable.

We decided to stay at the Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel. It's < 1 mile from the port and they had a package called the "park and sail package". Since we're driving from AZ, this worked well... we park at the hotel during the cruise and get free shuttle back and forth from the terminal. Parking there saved only $15 bucks, but every dollar counts. I also like the idea of parking elsewhere and shuttling over so I can deal only with luggage and kids when I get to the terminal (not parking).

Crowne Plaza Hotel

LOS ANGELES HARBOR HOTEL

601 S. PALOS VERDES ST.

SAN PEDRO, CA 90731 UNITED STATES

I've stayed at both the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree in San Pedro. Both are fine, and both have shuttles to take you to the pier and to local restaurants.

The DT is in a nicer area - a beautiful Marina. The CP has nicer rooms, IMHO. There are pros and cons to both of their gyms. Both have nice pools.

I often can get the CP for $65 on Priceline. There is an Enterprise car rental place right there.

Thanks everyone! I may go ahead and stay in Hollywood to be closer to the attractions although we may stay Saturday night in San Pedro so I won't have to worry about driving in/traffic/getting lost on Sunday. I appreciate the hotel reviews!

I may rent from Enterprise at LAX, if I can drop the car off at the Enterprise in San Pedro. Thanks for that information - I'm about to call and check on those prices now.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks everyone! I may go ahead and stay in Hollywood to be closer to the attractions although we may stay Saturday night in San Pedro so I won't have to worry about driving in/traffic/getting lost on Sunday. I appreciate the hotel reviews!

I may rent from Enterprise at LAX, if I can drop the car off at the Enterprise in San Pedro. Thanks for that information - I'm about to call and check on those prices now.

Hollywood isn't a very nice area to stay in! I was just there 2 weeks ago. ;)

You can check the hotels by Universal Studios, there is a metro rail right there that can take you into Hollywood and Downtown, that way you dont have to worry about driving & parking in those areas. And there is a "City Walk" at Universal with lots of shops and restaurants.

If you decide not to rent a car you can take a super shuttle from the hotel to the pier.

Just wanted to give an update

I decided to rent a car from Enterprise at LAX, and drop it off in San Pedro. The cost was around $156 for 2 days. That was $40/day plus $40 drop fee (for 1 way rental) and taxes/fees.

I think I will be staying in Glendale/Universal area. I will be bidding for a hotel on priceline or purchasing one thru hotwire.com

I've heard from a couple of people (including my father who has visited the city) that I probably don't want to stay in Hollywood, especially since I will have a car - that I may want to stay somewhere other and just drive.

Archived