What is the different btw Carnival and RCCL?

This will be my first experience on Carnival. I do prefer RCCL over NCL because of service. I think we were treated much better on RCCL than on NCL. I am hoping to have alot of fun next month on the Pride.

Unless RCI drops their fares, I probably will. A few hundred bucks is a lot of beer. :D

Actually RCCL and NCL were within a few dollars of each other and about 160.00 total for 2 people above CCL.

Surprisingly NCL had a slightly different itin, One different port which we liked better. I would have a discount as I have sailed with them once before and also an additional 5% for being a Harrahs gold card member.

But as I said..it was just an informational inquirery. I am in no position right now to book anything, and if I was it probably would not be in December...LOL

But in the future I will explore all oppertunities, as there seem to be more than what I once thought. ;)

This is our first cruise with Carnival and we cruised with RCCL once. My friend doesn't like Carnival and when asked why...they said you will find out when you cruise in August?!

Is there a huge difference btw these two companies?

Sometimes I wonder if these posts are done just to stir people up. :(

We actually just did a price comparison between Carnival/NCL/Royal last night for the same 7 day sailing, all leaving on the exact same date, with generally the SAME itin on all (NCL has slightly better ports - but that's just my opinion based on what I prefer), roughly same cabin category, airfare is comparable to the 2 ports in FL:

Carnival was the cheapest... but only by less than $200 total.... :confused:

Can't comment on the food or cabin size... yet ;)

I think $200 is a substantial amount. Is this per person? For a family that would really add up. Even if it is total, that would pay for tips and some drinks.

Sometimes I wonder if these posts are done just to stir people up. :(

Some are... some aren't... and then there are some posters that come into these real discussion threads that try to start it up anyway.... :rolleyes:

I think $200 is a substantial amount. Is this per person? For a family that would really add up. Even if it is total, that would pay for tips and some drinks.

No that was total... And yes it would pay for tips and some drinks on Carnival, but we were just weighing options and itins, you have to do what's best for you! :D

No..we (Brangren and I) looked at this. It was less than 200.00 for the both of us total. (ie, less than 100.00 ea/pp)

For us...if the ship offered more of what we wanted and the itin was better fit we would consider it. the small extra might be worth it.

Wow, you guys on CC are wild. I cant beleive that you attack each other based on what cruiseline somebody chooses. I prefer Carnival, but thats just my opinion. You cant really pick what line is better though because there are so many different people who want different things in a cruise, so you have to decide for yourself! :)

wow, you guys on cc are wild. I cant beleive that you attack each other based on what cruiseline somebody chooses. I prefer carnival, but thats just my opinion. You cant really pick what line is better though because there are so many different people who want different things in a cruise, so you have to decide for yourself! :)

Exactly!! :D

This is too funny- I didn't realize there was such an us vs. them mentality here! I've been a member of this site forever (or so it seems) but I don't remember it always being like this. Anyway, here are my two cents. Take it as you will...

Carnival- it's a great bargain and a lot of fun. That being said, it's not for everyone, and while I wouldn't say they truly are party ships, they most closely resemble that out of the major cruise lines I have been on. I have been mooned from the decks of Carnival ships for istance, when we are pulling away past them at port, but never from the decks of other ships. And that wasn't an isolated one time incident. End of the world, of course not, but I do think Carnival tends to attract pax who are a bit more "ready to have a good time". I'm not trying to knock it for that- I've always had a great time on board. It's just an observation.

RCCL- After cruise number 1 with them, we almost never went back. It was an older ship and I'm not sure if it was the itinerary or what, but the ship died at 8pm. It was terribly boring. We gave it another chance though, and had a great time. We've even gone again since then, and the indoor promenade was lovely and we had the best CD we've had in all 10 of our cruises. Food was not as good as Carnival in the MDR- buffet was nicer I think. Service was a bit better, and the decor was more to my liking. Worth more than a hundred or two per person per week as compared to Carnival with all else being the same, probably not, at least not to me.

I really think both are very comparable and any differences are pretty nitpicky. Like someone said earlier, they are far more similar than different. I wouldn't pay considerably more to sail on either one as opposed to the other. I would pay extra for X, but that is a whole other story ;)

This is too funny- I didn't realize there was such an us vs. them mentality here! I've been a member of this site forever (or so it seems) but I don't remember it always being like this.

I really think both are very comparable and any differences are pretty nitpicky. Like someone said earlier, they are far more similar than different. I wouldn't pay considerably more to sail on either one as opposed to the other. I would pay extra for X, but that is a whole other story ;)

Exactly. I'm sure there are more people that sail both, than sail one line exclusively. Even worse are those that sail one line exclusively and then participate in a comparison thread.:cool:

If price is all that matters and you want the absolute cheapest price........then an inside cabin on Carnival would be it...........

Not really. Royal is doing just fine. I only wish that they would stop trying to lower their standards with the cuts to bring themselves down to Carnival's level. If that happens, I may have to find a new cruise line.:rolleyes:

I think Royal is doing great - just look at their stock. It keeps climbing higher and higher! :D

Wow, you guys on CC are wild. I cant beleive that you attack each other based on what cruiseline somebody chooses. I prefer Carnival, but thats just my opinion. You cant really pick what line is better though because there are so many different people who want different things in a cruise, so you have to decide for yourself! :)

CC Wild?

Ok, nobody has touched on this comparison:

CCL(... and Princess, etc.): Enjoying a bottle of wine from my friend's vineyard on my balcony, or in the dining room with a moderate corkage charge.

RCCL: "smuggling" the same said bottle aboard ship in a plastic canteen hidden amongst my underwear.

Me? I 'd much rather spend my vacation dollar where I'm treated with respect and not like a kid at an AC/DC concert.

CCL(... and Princess, etc.): Enjoying a bottle of wine from my friend's vineyard on my balcony, or in the dining room with a moderate corkage charge.

RCCL: "smuggling" the same said bottle aboard ship in a plastic canteen hidden amongst my underwear.

Me? I 'd much rather spend my vacation dollar where I'm treated with respect and not like a kid at an AC/DC concert.

How about enjoying the bottle of wine from your friends vineyard with a get together at home and then on the cruise buy a bottle of wine.:confused::confused:

Much easier then taking wine from home. :cool:

ok, nobody has touched on this comparison:

Ccl(... And princess, etc.): Enjoying a bottle of wine from my friend's vineyard on my balcony, or in the dining room with a moderate corkage charge.

Rccl: "smuggling" the same said bottle aboard ship in a plastic canteen hidden amongst my underwear.

Me? I 'd much rather spend my vacation dollar where i'm treated with respect and not like a kid at an ac/dc concert.

catmando!!!!!

How about enjoying the bottle of wine from your friends vineyard with a get together at home and then on the cruise buy a bottle of wine.:confused::confused:

Much easier then taking wine from home. :cool:

Hey, if that works for you, great.

But as long as I don't have to compromise, or smuggle, I won't. CCL and Princess are glad to make me - and my friend's bottle - feel welcome.

Oh, and don't worry... we purchase our fair share of liquor aboard. But I have a few bottles of very special wine we save for special occasions - like our all-too-infrequent cruises.

This is too funny- I didn't realize there was such an us vs. them mentality here! I've been a member of this site forever (or so it seems) but I don't remember it always being like this.

Where have you been? ;) The CCL verses RCCL debates are legendary. :D:p

Well us non wine drinkers have to smuggle on all cruise lines:cool:

Well, according to my sister (who has never cruised Carnival by the way) RCCL is more "upscale" than Carnival (yes, direct quote).

What I found in researching when I was first planning my cruise was that some ships get good reviews and some ships get bad reviews...on both lines. One of the reasons I picked the Legend was that I've read so many good things about it.

I look at it like this........the last time I cruised was 25 years ago on the SS Oceanic. Did it twice and LOVED it. However, the Oceanic had nothing compared to what today's ships have to offer. No kids clubs, no promenade, no atrium, no mini golf, no water slides no games (except bingo). So whatever the newer ships have to offer me is going to be way more than what I'm used to. And for a family of 5, I just couldn't afford RCCL. Way out of my league. So I'm giving Carnival a try (despite what snobby sister says) and I know my family and I will have a great time.;)

Archived