Vatican on sunday morning

We will be in Rome on Jun.7 (sunday). We are planning to vist Vatican on that morning. I know the msueums are closed but wondering about to visit St. Peter Basilica and the Square. Do they have mass in the Square or the Basillica? If there is a mass, will the Basillica open to public? I would like to visit the church and the tombs, etc.

I was there a few years ago on a Sunday. The Mass was inside. There was nothing in the square. You could still go inside. Don't miss the Pieta. It's on the right side of the Basilica just as you enter.

We will be in Rome on Jun.7 (sunday). We are planning to vist Vatican on that morning. I know the msueums are closed but wondering about to visit St. Peter Basilica and the Square. Do they have mass in the Square or the Basillica? If there is a mass, will the Basillica open to public? I would like to visit the church and the tombs, etc.

We are on this sailing too...we have a thread for this so why not come on over and introduce yourselves...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19445507#post19445507

We were in Rome two weeks ago (Sunday 26th April). The Pope was in St Peter's Square, on the steps outside, conducting a service to canonise three saints, the square was only half full, and we had an excellent view of the proceedings.

Everyone else seemed to be queuing for the Vatican Museum instead, probably as it is free entry on the last Sunday of the month, but closes at 12.30 p.m. There was a 2 1/2 hour wait, apparently.

Not sure whether the Vatican museums are open on other Sundays.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

We caught mass in the Vatican at 12 noon on a Sunday in September. Sometimes there is a mass outside, it may be for a Saint's celebration day, beatfication of a saint etc. The Vatican museums only open on the last Sunday of the month and entrance is free on that day, if your trip co-incides with this plan to get there early 8.30'ish as the q's will grow. We had a wait last year but it was enjoyable in the sun and the reward was well worth it to see the Sistine chapel and museums..

Archived