Cruising on the Ryndam - First real cruise ...Any Pointers?

Hubby and I are leaving on the Ryndam, May 15th.... North To Alaska!! :D This is our first cruise together. I did a repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver on the old Rotterdam about 16 years back so this is a new experience for us.

I have read mixed comments on this ship on various websites and just wondered if anyone had any Pointers to offer a couple on their first cruise! I want this to be a relaxing vacation but I want hubby to have fun, he is a reluctant cruiser.:rolleyes:

We have a cabin on the Verandah deck mid ship, does anyone have any comments on the cabin positioning? Is there anything in Alaska that is a must see or do in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway? We are taking the White Pass train but have booked nothing else:confused:

Thanks for any comments you have to offer :)

Most importantly, you picked the right class of ship. The 1200-1400 passenger HAL vessels are great in that they have the activities and entertainment offered on larger ships, but the food/service quality of smaller ships. I spent 10 days on the Ryndam last year and was extremely happy with the experience.

You might want to look into what shore excursions are offered on your itinerary -- simply walking around the ports can be a bit disappointing IMO, particularly in May with the still-cool weather (we've not yet had a real "Spring" in the NW this year). Ketchikan is colorful if the weather is cooperating.

Overall, I think you'll be very pleased with the experience -- HAL has become our "line of choice" with Celebrity a close second. Enjoy!

What is the range of numbers in which your cabin is located-like 120-132? We have experienced periodic vibration problems on the Verandah Deck.

Advice on Lido-only eat food cooked in front of you. Avoid meats pre-prepared in the main kitchen and hauled up there-it is cold and old. Instead of a waffle from the drawer, ask for a fresh one to be made. They will gladly (kinda) do it.

Service is very good generally on the Ryndam.

Gary

We are between 161 to 171 range. Is this a good area?

As I left work today I saw the Ryndam just starting away from the pier, I am really looking forward to getting on her next week!

Thanks for the replies I appreciate any input we get on this.:D

Archived