The smell of a cruise!

Mooder

You're probably smelling formaldehyde from the carpets, curtains, and simulated wood products in the cabins. :rolleyes: The mind is a powerful aphrodisiac. :D

DT

It's funny. I suspected exactly that since on a ship you are just surounded! But Lowtyd's list is a bit more appealing.

And I don't mean the sea air. Or at least I don't think that's what it is. Yesterday I put on a jacket that I had worn on last weekend's cruise to nowhere. The second I pulled it on, I had the strongest sensation of being back on the ship. It only lasted a second, but it was nice! :) It's already worn off today. :( I wonder: is it the sanitizer, the new carpet, the carpet cleaner or just that ship smell. :confused: Anyone had this experience or know what I mean?

YES!!! I do know this smell and I am VERY fond of it.

I'm no so sure it is JUST a smell. But anytime coming onto the ship for the first time, or coming in from a hot day on shore excursions, or just coming from the heat on the pool deck, there is a DISTINCT feel and smell to a cruise ship.

I think it is honestly the industry size airconditioning and filtration system, combined with the cleanliness smell and a little bit of "ocean-night" smell. The ocean night smell is that feel and smell at night on the ocean. There is a slightly different smell and definitely a different feel while on the outer decks.

I think it is those three things, A/C, cleaning, ocean-night, that produce this aura and smell of the inside of a cruise ship. :)

I love feeling the A/C currents while standing in line to get back on the ship after a long, hot day on land. I know it must be wasteful to feel all that cold air wooshing outside :rolleyes:, but that smell and that feel of "place of solitude" returns and it is so relaxing and comforting.

I am about to go on an Alaskan cruise. I wonder how that feeling will be different compared to Caribbean cruises. :cool:

And I don't mean the sea air. Or at least I don't think that's what it is. Yesterday I put on a jacket that I had worn on last weekend's cruise to nowhere. The second I pulled it on, I had the strongest sensation of being back on the ship. It only lasted a second, but it was nice! :) It's already worn off today. :( I wonder: is it the sanitizer, the new carpet, the carpet cleaner or just that ship smell. :confused: Anyone had this experience or know what I mean?

LOL. I have underway uniforms from my boat (see sig) that over twenty years after making their last patrol *still* smell of submarine. It's a unique smell, and lingers despite the boat being deeply cleaned on a weekly basis. That many people and that much machinery is such a cramped and tightly closed space...

The funny part is, after the first day you don't smell it again until you've been away from the boat a while. You do smell other boats when you visit them inport though.

I've read that scent is one of the most powerful memory evokers - the part of the brain that smells is buried deep in the most primal part of the brain.

YES!!! I do know this smell and I am VERY fond of it.

I'm no so sure it is JUST a smell. But anytime coming onto the ship for the first time, or coming in from a hot day on shore excursions, or just coming from the heat on the pool deck, there is a DISTINCT feel and smell to a cruise ship.

I think it is honestly the industry size airconditioning and filtration system, combined with the cleanliness smell and a little bit of "ocean-night" smell. The ocean night smell is that feel and smell at night on the ocean. There is a slightly different smell and definitely a different feel while on the outer decks.

I think it is those three things, A/C, cleaning, ocean-night, that produce this aura and smell of the inside of a cruise ship. :)

I love feeling the A/C currents while standing in line to get back on the ship after a long, hot day on land. I know it must be wasteful to feel all that cold air wooshing outside :rolleyes:, but that smell and that feel of "place of solitude" returns and it is so relaxing and comforting.

I am about to go on an Alaskan cruise. I wonder how that feeling will be different compared to Caribbean cruises. :cool:

I know what you mean about that first sense of the ship after a day at port. Very nice!

LOL. I have underway uniforms from my boat (see sig) that over twenty years after making their last patrol *still* smell of submarine. It's a unique smell, and lingers despite the boat being deeply cleaned on a weekly basis. That many people and that much machinery is such a cramped and tightly closed space...

The funny part is, after the first day you don't smell it again until you've been away from the boat a while. You do smell other boats when you visit them inport though.

I've read that scent is one of the most powerful memory evokers - the part of the brain that smells is buried deep in the most primal part of the brain.

Interesting your uniform still holds onto it!?!? Mentioning that other boats smell differently reminds me of my two dogs and the way they smell each other regularly. We always say you've been together all day and eaten the same things, what's new to learn about each other?! lol But they don't listen. :o

Funny you should post this 'muder! I've got a t-shirt that I wore on our last cruise and sent to the ship's laundry. I don't know why but, even after probably eight or nine wearings and washings here at home since, it still carries the smell of the ship's detergent.:confused:

I still smile every time I wear it!;)

SH:D

Funny you should post this 'muder! I've got a t-shirt that I wore on our last cruise and sent to the ship's laundry. I don't know why but, even after probably eight or nine wearings and washings here at home since, it still carries the smell of the ship's detergent.:confused:

What a perfect souvenir!!! :) Glad to see you - missed you today.

I know that smell, there is a smell you get on a ship of salt air along with paint. At least that is the exterior smell. Inside you get various smells depending on where you are on the ship. But that outdoor smell is pretty universal to any ship.

I would take that shirt, seal it in a ziploc bag and take a whiff every so often when I long for a cruise! (or clean smelling shirt!)

Oooo. just smelled my purse again!:D

Ok, It's got to be a combination of sea, salt air, sand, sunshine, varnish, hand sanitizer, coconut, rum, shrimp, suntan lotion, gold lamay, that chemical they put in the hot tubs and pool, crispy bacon, a hint of smoke (not to keen on that part) mango margueritas, diesel fuel, french martini's, new carpets and sweaty dancers.(not too keen on that one either)

Roll it all together and what-da-ya-got?

You forgot the shrimp tails in the jacket pockets.

After reading this post, I had to run around smelling anything I could find from my last cruise, but no luck.:(

I will tell you what works for me though. I use the lotion that they provide during the cruise, then I bring the leftover home. Anytime I smell it it transports me right back!:)

OMG! Carnival is soooooooooo ahead of us on this. They have their own fragrance line. I would looooooooooooove to know what it smells like. :) It's so cute how the bottle looks like the ship!!

http://www.perfume.com/carnival-cruise/cruise/men-cologne/10019933?ref=479&utm_campaign=compshop&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=msn

I haven't read all the way through, so excuse me if this has been stated already...but Carnival also has a commercial, with a guy running around the ship sniffing...and at the end says, "Ahh, new ship smell!"

It's an ad for The CCL Dream. I think it's a brilliant commercial (much better that the other new commercials they put out ::)

I find that my moods can be very 'odor' affected, and I know exactly the smell you are all talking about. When I board a ship, I always find myself inhaling deep...it's aromatherapy!!!!!! :D It makes me feel VERY happy :)

I have a simular experience with our monitors at work. The ones around our call center that display our real time call center stats. They remind me so much of the ships tv displays that show where you are in the ocean, ships time, restaurant menus, etc, that every now and then I will look up and see them and get the sensation Im onboard a ship. It is a very nice thing when it happens.. 8-)

[quote name='bermuder']And I don't mean the sea air. Or at least I don't think that's what it is. Yesterday I put on a jacket that I had worn on last weekend's cruise to nowhere. The second I pulled it on, I had the strongest sensation of being back on the ship. It only lasted a second, but it was nice! :) It's already worn off today. :( I wonder: is it the sanitizer, the new carpet, the carpet cleaner or just that ship smell. :confused: Anyone had this experience or know what I mean?[/quote]

i think they should bottle that and sell it next to the new car smell. (no i didn't bother to read the rest of the thread to see if this was an "original" reply.) :D

Archived