Alaska Railroad/Princess Rail- Disabilty access?

dogdoc2002

We're thinking of either booking a cruisetour through Princess or possibly taking the train independently in 2010. My mother-in-law has pretty bad knees (to the point where she's considering replacement surgery), and has quite a bit of trouble with stairs. We did a Princess Cruisetour 2 years ago, and I know we had a short set of stairs to get on between Whittier and Talkeetna, and a full set of stairs to the domecars on the Talkeetna to Denali route. Does anyone know if they have a handicap/disabled accesable car(s). I think we could manage getting her up the short stairs with some doing, but I don't know about the domecars, which we loved.

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

Princess I don't know. I believe the AK RR does have an elevator in it's Goldstar serviced cars. Holland America I know has elevators in all of it's railcars.

Give a ring to the Alaska Railroad... I wouldn't be surprised if they can't clarify their service as well as Princess' for you. They all know each other's products pretty well.

Enjoy your 2010 Alaska holiday!

http://www.trainweb.org/ultradomes/princess/7087.html

The A cars are equipped with an ADA accessible restroom, and have wheelchair lifts built into the outside platform to lift passengers from the ground to the lower level of the car. At this time there is no provision to move ADA passengers to the cars’ dome levels, but the lifts will be added as part of a general refitting and renewal of the cars during the 2005-2006 winter off-season.

I haven't been in them, supposedly they were installed.

And tell your MIL to have the knee replacement surgery! I wish I had mine many years before I did. She will niot believe how much better her life will be after the surgery!:D

Archived