Altun and Zoo

funpinkard

Unfortunately the one person who does an excellent customized tour is moving away from the Belize City area to give tours at a new eco-resort his family is developing in another area of Belize.

Try contacting Mark McField for any suggestions. He is a degreed archeologist and has been giving tours based on your schedule and interests. We just did Altun Ha, a bird walk along the reservoir through the rain forest area of the ruins, lunch at a local place (Mayan Wells- fabulous but simple local food) and a quick city tour including seeing where Mark went to "primary" school.

contact Mark at: markmcf@btl.net

We are interested to see more wild life.like the monkeys and at the same time

See the Ruins.We are going to do a city tour in Progreso/Mexico.

Thanks for informations..Don't know if there will be time for both,Carnival schedule is 8 hours.

R.P. :cool:

We hired a driver, I have his E-mail if you want it. (put away w/pictures)Very good he took us in a van, to the ruins, rain forest and city tour. Talk, talk and more talk very good. He told us he was raised by missionary's. It was about 20.00 per person for the whole day. He pointed out the different plants and wildlife too. It was cheaper that booking w/ ship. We had a good safe experience w/ two boys.

For the Altun Ha Ruins (and the Zoo and other stops) we highly recommend Margaret Montero (along with her partner Desmond Tillet), email: mdstourstravel1@yahoo.com and please mention that Chris Wyman sent you to her. Go to: http://www.*****/tours.html then scroll to the bottom of the page.

26_20_1.gif

The actual Altun Ha Excursion is 3-1/2 hours (Altun Ha is located 32 miles from Belize City on the northern road which usually takes between 50 and 60 minutes to get to Altun Ha). The prices quoted were $30 USD per person (group of 7 or more) OR $33 USD per person (1 to 6 people). The entrance fee to Altun Ha is included in these prices (there is a credit card service charge of 5% if payment is made that way). It also includes $5 USD per person Belize Tourism charge.

Margaret met us where the tender drops you off at the pier. She was standing near the gate with a sign with our group name on it and she was parked just around the corner. The van was a late model Ford with air conditioning. They also have a second larger van for really big groups and for emergency backup.

With Margaret as our guide, she took us past many local sights and explained all about Belize and its people and customs. She was also our personal guide at the ruins. On the way back she helped us to find reasonably priced local cashew wines and was willing to do whatever it took to make our stay in Belize memorable. In short, she was GREAT!!! Our party of eight was so happy with her that we tipped her an additional $40 above and beyond the cost of the tour.

We cannot give a higher recommendation. ~Chris Wyman :cool: :cool:

We were in Belize last week and I honestly had a good time on our tour with Belize Native Tours.

my family and I chose and enjoyed our tour to Altun Ha or God of the Sun as it is called. We took a short drive to Altun Ha from the Tourist Village, it took about little over an hour. When we arrived at the site it was very nice we walked about and our guide enlightened us with some history of the Maya and the temple and what it was for. The kids especially loved it and couldn't stop running around. After site seeing and walking around a bit we went to another nice place close by to get some refreshments and to relax a bit before hitting the road again for the Tourist Village. I think it was called Maruba or something, it was a spa resort. Overall my whole family enjoyed a very interesting and educational tour that was affordable and fun. If you're gonna be in Belize anytime soon, try BelizeNativeTours, you'll enjoy it.

It would be great for you to try reaching Donald Ramitrez .His company offers reliable and safe services.He is also registered on the travel belize website as one of the best tour guides in the country of Belize.

He offers peronalize and customize tours to cruise ship guests.His email address is info@ancientsitesbelize.com

We hired a driver, I have his E-mail if you want it. (put away w/pictures)Very good he took us in a van, to the ruins, rain forest and city tour. Talk, talk and more talk very good. He told us he was raised by missionary's. It was about 20.00 per person for the whole day. He pointed out the different plants and wildlife too. It was cheaper that booking w/ ship. We had a good safe experience w/ two boys.

Please send me his email address to kanissaj@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thank you Chris for recomending http://www.***** I highly recomend them.Margaret took us to Altun Ha first then next to the Baboon Sanctuary,

She was a great tour guide.She was knoledgable about her country.

She stays with us the whole way,and was concern aboutgetting us back on time.I did told her I will recomend her and say hello to Chris.

For a great tour guide in Belize look for Margaret,She says she and Desmond works together.For a great tour in Belize check mdstourstravel1@yahoo.com. :)

Funpinkard and Chris thank you all for recomending *****.

I have book up with them for the 5 hrs Crooked Tree wild life and Logoon tour.

I am going bird watching, sounds great.

I tell you all about it when I get back. :)

If you are going to the zoo, then forget about Altun Ha. Instead go to Xunantunich which is a much more interesting ruin. The zoo is on the way to Xunantunich so you don't have to do the double backtrack to get there. You could also go to Cahal Pech, which is a smaller Mayan ruin near Xunantunich (between the zoo and Xunantunich). Altun Ha is really not a very interesting ruin. Unless you have never seen a Mayan ruin before you likely will likely not be impressed as much of the site is covered by tarps. Take a look at the photos on my website at http://www.pbase.com/2112 for more information. Belize is in my Central America gallery - NOT the Caribbean gallery!

• 3 weeks later...

We just did a tour with www.***** last week to the Belize Zoo. Everything went great. We thought that it was going to be Margaret doing the tour but when we got off the tender it was her "nephew" Mario that was our guide for the day. He took us (wife, 5 year old and 3 year old) for a quick city tour in his car and then straight to the zoo. It was nice to have a personal tour guide at the zoo. The zoo was nothing spectacular, the service was great but the price was a bit steep for a trip to the zoo. I would however recommend Margaret and Belize Exclusive.

Archived