Flight in on Cruise Day

arlsvera

PLEASE quit posting this train of thought (second or third time I have seen it). The cruise lines will NOT wait for a couple of passengers, ESPECIALLY if you booked air independently.

You give false hope to people who book flights tooo close to cruise ship departure.

NO but the cruise line might tell the passenger if the ship is being held because the cruise line has cruise-air passengers who are delayed. People win lotto and at least one passenger might luck out and be told there is a cruise bus waiting for delayed cruise-air passengers. There is room for you on the bus. Chances are near zero. The cruise line might tell the passenger not to wait for their luggage and go directly to the taxi line. That only works if 10-20 minutes will make a difference.

I'll agree with the implication of your post. The real reason for calling the cruise line is to find out the procedure to catch up with the cruise at the first port. Not worth a cab to the dock just to get a picture of your ship leaving port without you. Makes sense to make your flight arrangements to the first port while you're still at the airport. A few cruises out of the Miami area have Key West as their first stop.

edited to add I don't think a cruise ship waits for a passenger with independent air but will let the passenger think they are, if the cruise ship is delayed for other reasons.

I'll agree with the implication of your post. The real reason for calling the cruise line is to find out the procedure to catch up with the cruise at the first port. Not worth a cab to the dock just to get a picture of your ship leaving port without you. Makes sense to make your flight arrangements to the first port while you're still at the airport. A few cruises out of the Miami area have Key West as their first stop.

edited to add I don't think a cruise ship waits for a passenger with independent air but will let the passenger think they are, if the cruise ship is delayed for other reasons.

Can't board in Key West for most cruises-PVSA rules apply.

The poster telling people the ship will wait has posted this info two or three times recently. It is incorrect info and builds false hope in people who believe the ship waits for them (even with cruise air).

Your lotto quip is a good one-IF you won lotto last week (not a $2.00 prize), you will most likely have the cruise ship wait for you. Otherwise, your chances of the ship waiting SPECIFICALLY for you are as good as winning Powerball next week.

Can't board in Key West for most cruises-PVSA rules apply.

PVSA rules prevent a cruise line transport passengers solely between 2 US ports. No question a passenger can't board in Miami and disembark at a US port (Key West) before stopping in a foreign port. Are you sure a passenger couldn't embark at Key West instead of Miami?

The "truth" doesn't really matter, the passenger probably won't have enough time to appeal a cruise line which says NO. The cruise line doesn't have to allow embarkation at an alternate port even if it's legal to do so.

I may be wrong but if my flights met cruise standards but were close, I'd book cruise transfers. It might make a big difference in some cities, US Direct in Vancouver for example. In other cases the cruise representative may be holding a bus, telling you to grab a cab or telling you no way and saving a fruitless trip to the port.

PVSA rules prevent a cruise line transport passengers solely between 2 US ports. No question a passenger can't board in Miami and disembark at a US port (Key West) before stopping in a foreign port. Are you sure a passenger couldn't embark at Key West instead of Miami?

Yes, because that would turn the cruise into a Key West-Miami cruise which under the PVSA would require a stop at a DISTANT foreign port. In the Caribbean, the closest distant foreign ports are Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. Few roundtrip cruises out of Florida visit those islands. So the general rule is cruiselines will not allow you to board the ship in Key West. You have to wait until the first foreign port to board.

Like many here, I would say always fly the day before. Many don't and they don't encounter any problems. They are lucky. Many things can happen that could cause problems, like air traffic control delays, weather, mechanicals, crew legalities, etc. Just because the airline has other flights after yours doesn't necessarily mean you'll get on one of those flights either. Flights are full, especially on cruise days, and you'd be waiting for an available seat to open up.

Archived