Closest car rental to Miami Port?

YFancyface

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale because we got great prices, at times we wanted. We'll be in the day before the cruise and are going to rent a car down to Miami and for the night. The next morning we were going to drop the car off and take a cab to the port. I'd like to rent a car from a rental company nearest to the port to save money on cab fee's. Any suggestions?

Go with Alamo or thrifty- drop off at the airport and they'll shuttle you are free to ship. Budget has a drop off close to port, but you'll still have to pay for a cab.

How far a ride is it from the airport to the port by shuttle?

We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale because we got great prices, at times we wanted. We'll be in the day before the cruise and are going to rent a car down to Miami and for the night. The next morning we were going to drop the car off and take a cab to the port. I'd like to rent a car from a rental company nearest to the port to save money on cab fee's. Any suggestions?

We did this same thing, stayed in Fort Lauderdale, drove to Miami the next morning. We rented from Avis and dropped the car off at their downtown Miami location. It is probably 5 minutes from POM. Taxi was about $10-$12.

I’ll recommend not go with Alamo.. On April 16th, we waited over 1 hour just for Alamo’s Miami shuttle to drop us to the port. On the way back, we waited for about 40 minutes, finally saw one of the Alamo shuttle came to the port. But the shuttle was almost full of people and luggage. Luckily, we were one of the three couples able to get in the shuttle. The rest of the people have to wait for the next shuttle. While we were waiting, we saw other rental car shuttle came by couple time already..

I’ll recommend not go with Alamo.. On April 16th, we waited over 1 hour just for Alamo’s Miami shuttle to drop us to the port. On the way back, we waited for about 40 minutes, finally saw one of the Alamo shuttle came to the port. But the shuttle was almost full of people and luggage. Luckily, we were one of the three couples able to get in the shuttle. The rest of the people have to wait for the next shuttle. While we were waiting, we saw other rental car shuttle came by couple time already..

That's nothing, we waited at the FLL Budget location for THREE HOURS for a car! They were totally out of any car bigger than a subcompact and there were a lot of people waiting for cars.

I kind of had the same dilemma in reverse - 7 1/2 hours between debarking and flight check-in. No good excursions! I finally ended up renting a car from Alamo. We will take the Pier shuttle to the rental location (which is actually the airport rental location) and rent a car, then return it in time to catch the airport shuttle for our flight. Perhaps that will work for you - drop off the rental that morning at Alamo and take the shuttle to the pier for your cruise? No extra costs. HTH!

Tammy

I used Dollar before and after myy cruise last week in Miami. Use code ooag or kisse to get a good rate. Service was quick. You can book on line. Make sure you enter mia cruise port for pick up after your cruise. We did not have to wait for a shuttle to the port. When we arrived to drop off the car- a shuttle was there waiting. When we left the terminal at the port a shuttle was waiting. I noticed there were a lot of dollar shuttle going to and from the port. The shuttle was free and we tipped the driver. The ride to the port was less than 20 minutes. The rental car location is not directly in the airport, but next to the airport.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
That's nothing, we waited at the FLL Budget location for THREE HOURS for a car! They were totally out of any car bigger than a subcompact and there were a lot of people waiting for cars.

FYI Warning....Budget has not fixed this issue, either. The same thing happened to us in December, 2012 at the 17th street pier location. Terrible!

Archived