Hairspray Joins Oasis !!

Well folks; its true... the Hit Broadway show HAIRSPRAY has signed a contract with RCL for three years with an option of a fourth year. The show has been downsized to fit the RCL entertainment times; the show runs at 90 minutes rather than the Broadway 2 1/2 hours.

The show is scheduled to run in either 3 or 4 times during a seven night voyage.

Well folks; its true... the Hit Broadway show HAIRSPRAY has signed a contract with RCL for three years with an option of a fourth year. The show has been downsized to fit the RCL entertainment times; the show runs at 90 minutes rather than the Broadway 2 1/2 hours.

The show is scheduled to run in either 3 or 4 times during a seven night voyage.

Thanks! This has been known for months now.

I hope the shortened version is not a hack job? Many years ago, on a cruise

on NCL's Dreamward. They had Dreamgirls as a show. I've seen the show

on Broadway a couple years before, and it was GREAT. However on the

Dreamward, it was plain bad. They cut so much out of it, the play made no

sense. I hope that Hairspray doesn't fall to the same fate.

I agree with you totally; I think when you take such a great show like Hairspray with so much good music and dance, and slice and dice it up; shave one hour off the show; a lot of the numbers will not be there... I have a feeling it will be an "abbreviated" version missing some good songs and dance techniques; its impossible to shave an hour off and be similiar or else they would have done that on the original production. Im sure it will be fine for what it is, but broadway I dont think so..

"Hairspray" is the first REAL Broadway show to be produced for a cruise ship. RCCL has purchased the rights to the show for 3 years. Any Broadway show you have seen on any ship prior to now was produced without being licensed which is why they were cut to pieces and could be anything they wanted them to be.

Not so with this show. Can't happen as in order to get licensed, the producing entity MUST follow strictly the show as it is licensed, including how many chairs (live musicians) and what instrumentation must play the show, the book has to be followed EXACTLY as written, if there are cuts, they must be made by the original show's creators, writers, designers, etc. etc.

A worldwide casting call and audition tour is underway for all the shows going onto the Oasis. This is a first of its kind entertainment for a cruise ship and one which; its full scope will not be known to the general public until the ship is finally sailing with passengers.

I saw the show on Broadway, on tour and in Las Vegas. All were terrific. Personally, I think the movie was far better choreographically but John Travolta was kind'a scary and besides, no one can hold a candle to Harvey Fierstein's Edna Turnblad. He was fantastic! I would love to see Keala Settle as Tracy. Saw her on tour and she was my favorite Tracy.

Archived