Purchasing Booze on Board

MaaDo

We are leaving Sunday on the Jewel and I was going to pack liquor to bring. My husbands says that we can buy it on board the first night and take it to our room. Does anyone know if this is the case? I thought that they kept it until the end of the trip and then delivered it to your room. Any help is appreciated.

4 days and counting!!!

Other posts on the board say that you can buy it and take it to your cabin. However, there is a $9.50 charge per bottle to do that. With the booze being duty free it ends up costing about the same as bringing it.

Kathi is correct, however I have seen posts where on some ships they only charged a single $9.50 charge for all bottles bought on the 1st night. Don't know how often this happens however. When comparing booze prices, notice that you often get a full liter, instead of 750 ml, on the ship, and it is often higher proof ("export strength"). On the last night or two they also run a lot of sales, no surcharge, and pack bottles in nice carriers for carrying off.

The prices were so good (compared to PA), that we took off the maximum amount. That way, when you run out at home, you know its time to cruise again!

Also, no wine is sold in the liquor store. Also, look for tastings (flavored rums, etc.) during the week.

Check this thread for lots of info on liquor prices on board.

Here is a sample from my recent cruise (also on the above thread)

Absolut Vodka, 1Liter: $11.95 or 2 for $19.95

Bacardi or Bacardi Gold Rum, 1Liter: $9.95 or 2 for $16.95

Dewar's White Lable Scotch, 1Liter: $13.95

Bombay Sapphire Gin, 1Liter: $14.95

Tanqueray Gin, 1Liter: $13.95 or 2 for $24.95

It was $9.50 per bottle, even on the first nite, on my November cruise. BUT, even with the added $9.50, it was still cheaper than bringing it from home.

As mentioned, even with the $9.50 in room consumption charge, the price is about the same. The only difference is I don't have to take up room in my suitcase or worried that I might be singled out and have it taken away from me when I try to board the ship.

mal2969:

do you recall any deals for wine. i thought i read somewhere that on the first night they offer 4 bottles of wine for $99. not exactly sure how it works, if they save it for you for dinner or you take the bottles at the time of purchase.

Also.. do you recall the prices per bottle at dinner? any info would help.

grimace98:

Here are some pics of the room service menu, which lists wine prices on pages 4 and 5. As I recall, the wine prices are the same throughout the ship, including the dining room.

There is a wine package offered on the first day, and it is in the range you mentioned, but I don't recall exactly. On the first day, they have stations set up in front of the Windjammer and the Dining room with the wine selections and package deals offerings, so you can sign up before dinner on the first nite if you wish.

Cmaso, thanks for the pics of the room service menu. Am I to assume that the liquor prices per drink are the same throughout the ship? I'm sure I'll be drinking fun rum drinks occasionally, but hubby really likes his Crown Royal, more than one or two daily, and I've been warning him how expensive the bar bills can be. Can Crown drinks be bought for $5.00 a drink?

Thanks, Judy

grimace98...............I am not sure of the wine package because I don't drink wine but, I know that they did have a special on wine the frist night.

squire5000........I am not sure of the name of the package store but, I know that we pasted a few of them on the way to the pier from the airport. We just had our taxi guy stop at one of them.

Archived