~OFFICIAL~ "SPIRIT"ing to the Majestic Land of the Midnight Sun! * May 11, 2010*~

anamanxs

Question???

I just began looking up possible options for my shore excursions, and on the Carnival site it shows we are docked in Victoria, Bc, Canada for about 16 hours, but I don't see any shore excursions listed... Does anyone know why?

(I found the shore excursions for the other 3 ports for easily.)

The way I read it is, we are only there a few hours, that could be why.

I've been watching the Olympics and they talked about Victoria the other night. It sounds as though it’s going to be really nice.:)

The way I read it is, we are only there a few hours, that could be why.

I've been watching the Olympics and they talked about Victoria the other night. It sounds as though it’s going to be really nice.:)

It is like 4 hours at night. We have to stop in amother countries port, some reg. or something. And since Alaska is the USA thye have to go to Canada, there are a few pubs and the gardens they say are beautiful but, I don't know if you can see them at the time we are there. There is also a carriage ride. :)

It is also our last night on the ship!

It is like 4 hours at night. We have to stop in amother countries port, some reg. or something. And since Alaska is the USA thye have to go to Canada, there are a few pubs and the gardens they say are beautiful but, I don't know if you can see them at the time we are there. There is also a carriage ride. :)

It is also our last night on the ship!

Does anyone have any idea how far it is from the dock, or if there is a shuttle that goes into town?

This past weekend found Diana/Jim playing "tacky tourist." We visited a Hollywood "malt shop", the Hollywood Wax Museum, Grauman's Chinese Theater [my feet are bigger than Bogie's] and the Guinness Book of World Records Museum.

We also saw the movie Valentine's Day

Thank you for all the Victoria info... I sure read the time wrong... it is 7:30 pm, not am like I thought... that makes a big difference on port time :)

I have narrowed down excursions down to a gold panning tour & a hiking tour... I'm not sure which or even which port each will be... but still narrowing things down...

jleq - I saw Valentine's Day also - thought it was surprisingly funnier than I expected!

I am very excited about going to the RenFest this weekend with all my peeps! I love the RenFest!

Thank you for all the Victoria info... I sure read the time wrong... it is 7:30 pm, not am like I thought... that makes a big difference on port time :)

I have narrowed down excursions down to a gold panning tour & a hiking tour... I'm not sure which or even which port each will be... but still narrowing things down...

jleq - I saw Valentine's Day also - thought it was surprisingly funnier than I expected!

I am very excited about going to the RenFest this weekend with all my peeps! I love the RenFest!

RenFest???

A Renaissance Festival. Here's the website

Wow, that looks like it would be a lot of fun, we have one that comes close to here but I have never been. I should add it to my bucket list. But, I would have to write a bucket list first...something else I have thought about doing.

Hi guys! Yes, I'm still lurking on your board and getting very excited for you!! I had better see great pictures and read some in-dept reviews so I can get ready for my cruise next year!!!

Looking at the site for the Renaissance Festival, I see it was in my area last weekend. Is it going to be in Tampa next weekend? We went to one years ago and had fun.

Hoping all are doing well. Annette - email me...I was thinking about you and your family, hoping all were doing better.

Hi guys! Yes, I'm still lurking on your board and getting very excited for you!! I had better see great pictures and read some in-dept reviews so I can get ready for my cruise next year!!!

Looking at the site for the Renaissance Festival, I see it was in my area last weekend. Is it going to be in Tampa next weekend? We went to one years ago and had fun.

Hoping all are doing well. Annette - email me...I was thinking about you and your family, hoping all were doing better.

Thanks Kathi, I will - I wish you were going with us. I got the walking tour of Ketchian in the mail yesterday - it was GREAT! ;)

Still looking at the Seattle City Pass. Has everyone been noticing the beautiful country side at the Olympics? Makes me want to go even more, no we are not going to Vancouver but close. But, look at those heavy coats everyone is wearing!!

Kathi - here is the website for the one in Tampa - it is going on for many weekends. Just in case you were interested in catching it... Bay Area Ren Fest

Jleq - thanks for enlightening everyone in my absence! I love the RenFest! I could talk about it forever! Could even contemplate running away with them... but then reality comes back and I remember my mortgage payment... haha

We just paid our final installment this morning! We also paid our gratuities this morning! We will be booking some of our excursions in March, but I have my list out to my small group and I am positive I would like to do 1 hiking & 1 panning for gold excursion.

I haven't really seen anyone else's messages with those excursions - so anyone else here going or looking into hiking or panning for gold?

On Hiking... My extended group - Me, my partner, MIL & FIL, and another couple of RVing friends of MIL & FIL that I have not met... So we are just starting the excursion talks seriously & here is how I work it... I check out all the excursions I am interested in, and send a mass e-mail. If others are interested in the same thing we will then get serious about the port & times of booking. We have a group attitude that you can do whatever makes you happy - weather thats alone or in a group, as long as you sit @ the dinner table for dinner with FIL.

So currently I have nothing narrowed down... Here is the list of excursions from Carnival that I found interesting on hiking:

Friday - Skagway in port from 7am - 9pm (14 hours)

Chilkoot Trail Hiking & Rafting Adventure 4.25 hours $119.00 per person

On this excursion you will:

Board a private van and enjoy a 30-minute transfer through Skagway and along the coast to historic Dyea.

Begin your hike along the scenic Chilkoot Trail, once the centerpiece of gold rush history in Skagway.

Observe that the trail is now a tranquil place of incredible beauty.

Take an easy-paced hike, walking through a rain forest alive with birds and wild flowers as your guide explains the natural history of the trail, as well as the folklore and legends of the gold-rush era.

Arrive at the shore of the Taiya River.

Board an 18-foot inflatable raft for the relaxing float back to Dyea, just as the early settlers experienced.

Come ashore, following the 40-minute river voyage, to enjoy a light snack before the return drive to Skagway.

See that this exclusive, off the beaten path adventure is an excellent tour for the entire family.

Note: Minimum age is 7 years. This tour is recommended for guests who are physically fit. The hike covers approximately 1.6 miles and ascends to an elevation of 700 feet. Please wear comfortable hiking shoes. Drinking water is provided during the hike; refreshments will be provided after completion of the raft trip.

Sawtooth Hike & White Pass Railroad Adventure 5.00 hours $135.00 per person

This excursion combines a scenic rail trip aboard the historic White Pass & Yukon Route Railway with a dramatic wilderness hike.

On this excursion you will:

Board the train for a brief yet unforgettable ride to the wilderness whistle stop and the Denver trailhead.

Be provided guides who will accompany you through the dense temperate rainforest filled with beautiful old-growth western hemlocks, where lookout points provide spectacular views of the raging waters of the Skagway River, the Denver Glacier Valley, and the magnificent Sawtooth Mountain range.

Learn there are plenty of opportunities along the way for photographs and wildlife viewing.

Have your guides provide information on the valley's forest, plants, and geology.

At the end of the hike, snacks and beverages will be served on the train ride back to town.

Note: Minimum age is 9 years old to participate. Guests need to be in good physical condition.

This is a wilderness hike over uneven and sometimes difficult terrain. The hike will cover a distance of 4-5 miles. Snacks are provided on the hike and on the train ride back to Skagway. Dress in layers; hiking boots or shoes with ankle support are recommended.

Saturday - Juneau in port from 7am - 3pm (8 hours)

Mendenhall Glacier Guides Choice Adventure Hike 4.50 hours $83.00 per person

Put on your hiking boots, fill your lungs with fresh air, and experience a day of world-class hiking.

On this unforgettable excursion you will:

Begin your day with a brisk pace and view cascading waterfalls, serene alpine meadows, and quiet forest glens, these are just a few of the treasured places reached only on foot.

Along the way be provided by your naturalist/guide knowledge and perspective on the region's natural and cultural history, and will share his or her favorite local stories.

Before leaving the dock, your guide will select the trail best suited for the day's hiking conditions. Weather will be of particular consideration; in this region of mountains and fjords, conditions can vary quickly and dramatically.

Possibly find yourself hiking high above a serene glacier-fed lake, or along a rushing mountain stream.

Learn that during much of the hike, the views are panoramic; there are many opportunities for photography along the trail, and frequent interpretive stops.

Note: This excursion operates in all weather conditions. Hiking boots or shoes with good ankle support are recommended.

A poncho, belt pack, water, and snack are provided. You will be hiking between 4 to 6 miles with an elevation gain of 400 to 1,000 feet.

Sunday - Ketchikan in port from 7am - 1pm (6 hours)

Orca Beach Nature Trail 4.00 hours $109.00 per person

Join an experienced Alaskan trail guide for a hike through natural, unspoiled beauty in the coastal forest.

On this amazing excursion you will:

Experience a trail that takes you through a beautiful old-growth forest, by way of a secluded beach.

Hike this gently sloped historic trail, enjoy a light snack and take some time to explore the natural beauty that surrounds you.

Take a motorized inflatable which provides a short exciting cruise along the coast via Clover Passage.

Be alert for whales, Stellar sea lions, harbor seals, porpoises, and migrating seabirds that may be spotted on this route.

Note: Bring your camera and binoculars! This trail is mostly boardwalk, about one mile long and well maintained.

Dress comfortably with sturdy, comfortable walking shoes and warm, waterproof clothing. Rest-room facilities are limited.

Moderate to good physical condition is necessary for participation in this excursion. This trail has a gradual slope.

Guests age twelve and under must be accompanied by an adult. Minimum weight is 40 lbs.

This tour operates under a “Special Use Permit" issued by the U.S. Forest Service.

Archived