~OFFICIAL~ "SPIRIT"ing to the Majestic Land of the Midnight Sun! * May 11, 2010*~

anamanxs

Hi all...Happy New Year! :D

Here in Southeast Florida, we're expecting a low of around 34 tonight. Now I know most of you are saying "wimp"! But, we're just not use to it, our homes aren't built for it nor do we have the clothes for it! So yes, I'm a wimp. And I want to go to Alaska!?!?! :eek: I must be crazy!

The local news is saying that a hard freeze should reach just north of us into the Lake Okeechobee area. I have to feel for the nursery owners. When we first met, Phil was working as landscaper at a local country club which hosted the LPGA Mazda Classic every January. A few weeks prior to the tournament, he had the flower beds looking absolutely beautiful....then we had one night with the temp going down to 30. Though he stayed up all night rotating the sprinklers (a trick landscapers use to form an ice blanket on the plants) he lost every single flower bed. Since the tournament was televised on ESPN, he had to beg borrower and almost steal replacement plants. At the time, Disney had "freeze" contracts with most of the South Florida nurseries. Disney had first choice of plants in the event of a freeze in Central Florida. Think of having to replace all those flowers!!:eek:

Monday night at Home Depot they covered all the annuals in the outside garden area. Luckily he's not working tonight since they probably have to bring all the more fragile plants inside the store....that's a lot of work. He does have to be to work Thursday morning at 5am with the weather saying it will be around 40. He's not looking forward to that!!

Mike & Kim - I hope you have a great time at Disney.

Annette - how's your ankle?

Diana/I just returned from Vegas. No, we didn't gamble or get married [although, for some, that's the same thing]. Rather, I showed the "Strip Girl" a bit of "Downtown Vegas". Two parts of the same city which have totally different atmospheres. We also saw several Vegas shows: Penn & Teller, the relationship comedy play Defending the Caveman, and the musical based on the life/career of "Frankie Valli/The 4 Seasons" Jersey Boys.

While she enjoyed all three, the latter was her favorite.

Diana/I just returned from Vegas. No, we didn't gamble or get married [although, for some, that's the same thing]. Rather, I showed the "Strip Girl" a bit of "Downtown Vegas". Two parts of the same city which have totally different atmospheres. We also saw several Vegas shows: Penn & Teller, the relationship comedy play Defending the Caveman, and the musical based on the life/career of "Frankie Valli/The 4 Seasons" Jersey Boys.

While she enjoyed all three, the latter was her favorite.

Have to say I have only seen the Strip myself. Jersey Boys sounds GREAT! I saw Phanothom (sp) last time was was there ...unbelieveable!

Sitting here waiting for the white stuff to start falling! Rather, it would not happen. I rather wait for ALASKA for all the frozen stuff.

Kathi, Ankle is getting better! :D

Well,

It's official, Kim brought us SNOW - Snow in Florida... Last night we had freezing temps & a bit of rain. Some people have pictures of Snowballs, (How they got that I don't know, nothing sticks down here...) I am pleased though, because the stores are going nuts to stock all this warm inventory that in 3 weeks no one down here will need, and it will go on clearance just in time for me to get great deals for the cruise!!!

Bring on the cold - I love using my fireplace!!! I only get to about 5 times a year!

(Sorry, I know ya'll that have winter like 4 or 5 months a year don't like me at the moment...)

Well,

It's official, Kim brought us SNOW - Snow in Florida... Last night we had freezing temps & a bit of rain. Some people have pictures of Snowballs, (How they got that I don't know, nothing sticks down here...) I am pleased though, because the stores are going nuts to stock all this warm inventory that in 3 weeks no one down here will need, and it will go on clearance just in time for me to get great deals for the cruise!!!

Bring on the cold - I love using my fireplace!!! I only get to about 5 times a year!

(Sorry, I know ya'll that have winter like 4 or 5 months a year don't like me at the moment...)

We ususally have one good snowstorm a year in the March time frame. Ok we had 24 inches before Christmas so what does that mean March has in store for us!

I don't mind the snow but the cold and ice I could pass on! Our 24 inches is now about 2 -3 inches of solid ice. I think this is about the longest I remember it just sitting on the ground.

Ok, now cruise business! When to the Carnival site the other day and it looks like they do have a few cabins left but they are the obstructed views on the MAIN deck and they are going for more than we paid for a balcony. Don't forget if you book with the group, final payment is due by the 22th and with the ship being this full, I don't think they are going to take any excuses if you are late! Also, looks like the Fun Pass has added a little bit of extra security questions about flight numbers. Had to list every fhight number including connection flights. It also know when you put an incorrect flight in - had a typo and it caught it!

My daughter got her passport in about 2 weeks, so the wait time is definetly shorter than it used to be!

Wow, we are almost at the 120 day mark!

It has been pretty quiet lately, but now that the holidays have ended, and it's getting close the boards should get really busy! We are @ 119 days! How exciting! We still haven't figured out any excursions, so we are a little slack on the planning part. However, we are still very excited!

A good friend of mine just left today on her Caribbean cruise. I got so excited giving her all the tips I have learned (mostly from all the cruise critic reading I did prior to my 1st cruise).

Perhaps this will get the boards popping!!! I love reading what's most important to others as far as tips go! So what is everyone's most important tip for cruising?

I'll start :o - Take one of those shoe storage things that hang over the door & have the clear pockets for your shoes. I hang it on the outside of the closet door so it is out of the way & I can store all the little things I have stashed in my pockets that day, plus there is a pocket for my door key, wallet, chapstick/sunscreen, brochures & paper things for scrap booking, ginger pills, and anything else I find during the day. The pockets are clear so when I am looking for stuff it is easily found, and not rolling around the cabin somewhere. I even ended up stashing my toiletries in there as the closet was right beside the bathroom door.

So what's your best tip???

Morning Anamanxs

Thank you for your invitation to follow this thread,awsome this will be our 8th cruise with Carnival travel distance to get there will be 10,870 Miles that is straight flying there. We have booked cabin 4218 I travel with my son Francis and would really like meet other people. Our actuall itenary will be to land at Miami and do a road trip on the 101 to Seattle I have allowed 1 week for this and really looking forward to it something differen, we plan to travel and investigate with one ultimate objective being in Seattle in time to sail. you can visit our website http://www.mercurystorm.co.za. Looking forward to meeting your group and futher discussion

Welcome Mercury!

That is an incredible distance to travel! We will be happy to have you sailing with us! I checked out your website, and when you do vacations you really do vacations!!! I am so jealous of your travels!

Wow, I agree. If there was a prize for the farthest traveled you would get the prize. That is going to be some drive from Miami to Seattle. Are you going directly there or making a few detours on the way? I reminded them yesterday at work I needed about 10 days off and they were not thrilled, I can't imagine taking off longer than that.

I love your tip Dana, I actually did that, I also have one that I put in the first closet, it is not clear but the rum runner fits in the pockets perfectly, I am not the drinker, but Elmer is known to tip a few. Me I like the fancy frozen things if I am going to partake!

My tip would be to take the power strip. You can put it under the lining of the suitcase where the handle goes up and down and it doesn't take up any room and the ship generally only have the one outlet. So if you want to charge batteries or use anything electric you will need it! :cool:

official ~ spiriting to the majestic land of the midnight sun

on

this is the first r/t for the spirit out of seattle ~

join us for this special event!

cruise intinerary

tue seattle, washington 4:00 pm

wed at sea

thu cruise tracy arm

fri skagway, alaska 7:00 am - 9:00 pm

sat juneau, alaska 7:00 am - 3:00 pm

sun ketchikan, alaska 7:00 am - 1:00 pm

mon victoria, british columbia 7:30 pm -11:59 pm

tue seattle, washington 7:00 am

there are a few cabin left on this almost sold out cruise! Don't miss being able to be one of the first to cruise rt out of seattle. Call john for rate adn see what a deal she can get you! And you will get the special group extras!

*your cruise critic group cruise includes:

$100 per cabin on board credit

champagne and chocolates

cruise critic lanyards or similar(one per person)

cruise critic magnets or similar (one per stateroom)

15% discount on all other cruise critic logowear

all port charges, taxes, and fees

please let us know if you want to join our awesome goofy group!

contact annette for pricing or any questions. member cruise info or member cruise folder[/size][/color]

join us!

Where have all our friends gone? Seems so quiet around here! It is time to get the planning going...........Only 4 months until we explore and meet the SPIRITS!

All the stores around here have their winter items on sale, bringing in summer already! GREAT time to get in on some of the winter clothing bargins. Got some OLD NAVY fleece yesterday, even if I don't do anything but sit on the baloncy and watch the bergs float by!

Annette,

Do you know if Johna has any cabins left? I have a couple that may like to go with us, but carnival doesn't list our cruise anymore, so it looks sold out... I sent them all the info for this group to see if they want to, but I thought maybe you'd know if the group had anything before I get their hopes up too much...

Annette,

Do you know if Johna has any cabins left? I have a couple that may like to go with us, but carnival doesn't list our cruise anymore, so it looks sold out... I sent them all the info for this group to see if they want to, but I thought maybe you'd know if the group had anything before I get their hopes up too much...

When I spoke to her middle of last week there were some cabins left but she has to call Carnival to get the daily rate. But if they book thru her they would get the OBC and any other items the group has in place. They have to mention the CC goup on the May 11, 2010 when they call her. So tell them to give her a call. Also Carnival final payment day is coming up soon and she may be able to get some rooms then. If there are any to be had she will get them!

If we want to reserve a room for a meet and greet we have to start thinking about that too. I can requests rooms and such after next Friday!

I am back.....

Yup it sleet/snowed the morning of the 1/2 marathon but we got through it. I finished both races so I am officially Goofy :)

Time to start working on this cruise.

Have a great day all.

Welcome back! WOW, snow at Disney! That is unusual~

Thanks actually Mike and I did both the 1/2 marathon on Saturday and full marathon on Sunday. Disney calls it the goofy marathon. It was actually alot of fun.

Kim & Mike -- congrats on doing both marathons. From what I've seen on TV, it takes a lot of training and dedication---you both should be proud of yourselves.

Archived