Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

dear dubrovniktravelady:

What is the cost of food in restaurants? Something simple like an entree and a glass of wine.

Thank you.

There's no easy answer to that question. Fresh fish is normally priced by the kilo, shrimp and baby beef are more expensive than pasta. Our main meal is lunch and I always am at home cooking, we don't eat out that often. Most restaurant menu selections are ala carte, so if you want a salad or desert you will pay extra.

What exactly do you mean by an entree? Meat, fish, pasta?

Dauhgter has the opportunity to go to Split for next weekend. Right now she is studying in Rome. The big question would be, Is Croatia (Split) more expensive than Rome for a Pasta marinara (or Pizza) and beer. I know she just spent e10 on an individual size Margherita pizza.

Can she eat cheap in Split? In Rome she is able to by suppli for e1.

Just trying to get an idea of how much money she needs to HRK she needs to take out from the ATM for the few days. (Need to make sure she has enough in the bank to cover herself.

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!:):):):)

Thank you.

Edited by SadieN

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dubrovnik lady - We arrive on Magnifica July 1st, 2011. Q1.Do you know if we will dock or tender, and where?

Q2. What is the weather forecast there - will it be HOT?

Q3. I read on one post that it will take us 1 hour from the port to the old town? This has me concerned since Magnifica is only in Dubrovnik for 5 hours (not enough, I'm sure you will agree, to see anything much!). Will we have time to walk the walls and see the old city? What about the cable car? Sheesh!

Thank-you very much!

Hi Dubrovnik lady - We arrive on Magnifica July 1st, 2011. Q1.Do you know if we will dock or tender, and where?

Q2. What is the weather forecast there - will it be HOT?

Q3. I read on one post that it will take us 1 hour from the port to the old town? This has me concerned since Magnifica is only in Dubrovnik for 5 hours (not enough, I'm sure you will agree, to see anything much!). Will we have time to walk the walls and see the old city? What about the cable car? Sheesh!

Thank-you very much!

In response to your questions:

1. MSC is always at dock in the Gruz harbor.

2. Yes it will be HOT and humid

3. Very bad information! Ship shuttle bus normally will take a bit longer since they fill a bus prior to departure. I would expect 15 minutes maximum. You, of course could always take a private taxi to town, get you there in 5 minutes. Cost is 75 Kuna or 10 euros and yes the driver will take euros.

HELP!!!!

I am turning 50 next Sunday (June 19) and am arriving by cruise for the day. I started looking for a guide back in October (used Rick Steves guide) and confirmed with him on October 25. I began trying to reconfirm our rez. on May 24, finally today he responded and he said, "so sorry, lost our messages and booked someone else."

I am so at a loss for what to do and how to get another guide. He was planning on taking us to spots on the wall, Cavtat, and Konavle.

I know I can do it without a guide, but I wanted to just have a perfect day without thinking too much (you know that 50 year brain).

All help appreciated. (Carol-I put my email on your web)

Thank you,

Wendy

After reading 32 pages of posts (632 posts) I would like to say thank you to Dubrovniktravelady. You have a lot of information and patience.

Thanks to all of your information and links I know; where my ship will dock, what the weather will be like, that you walk around the wall counter clockwise, that the cable car works (again), a map of the town is available at http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf , that a good source of information is available at http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php, etc...

I only have one question, do you want a drink when we come to town?

After reading 32 pages of posts (632 posts) I would like to say thank you to Dubrovniktravelady. You have a lot of information and patience.

Thanks to all of your information and links I know; where my ship will dock, what the weather will be like, that you walk around the wall counter clockwise, that the cable car works (again), a map of the town is available at http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf , that a good source of information is available at http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php, etc...

I only have one question, do you want a drink when we come to town?

A lovely glass of Mali Plavac wine, any place any time! I would be honored to share one or maybe more...

Greetings Dobrovnik lady,

We will be arriving in Dobrovinik on November 22 this year on the Azamara Quest.

Can you tell me what the weather is like then?

Where will the ship be docking?

We are independent travelers, so we would like to explore the city on our own. Any recommendations?

Dave

Greetings Dobrovnik lady,

We will be arriving in Dobrovinik on November 22 this year on the Azamara Quest.

Can you tell me what the weather is like then?

Where will the ship be docking?

We are independent travelers, so we would like to explore the city on our own. Any recommendations?

Dave

I saw one of your other posts and got the answer for my first 2 questions

I saw one of your other posts and got the answer for my first 2 questions

In mid November opening hours for our historical and cultural sites will be limited, usually 1000 until 1500. Do not miss the Rupe Museum, most do since it is off the main drag and a bit more difficult to located. Weather depending, the city wall and cable car are always good. I also enjoy the Rectors Place to view our newly restored "green twins" and Sponza for a visit to the small memorial to our fallen from 1991 homeland war.

A visit to the tourist bureau website will help you decide exactly which sites will interest you. Tourist bureau site and map listed below.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Hi dubrovnik expert,

will be arriving on 27/6/11 on Voyager of the Seas. Have been told could be difficult finding taxi in the afternoon to return to ship, should i go for shuttle better?. As to city walls, how long does it take to do?, will I have time to see old city as well? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Hi dubrovnik expert,

will be arriving on 27/6/11 on Voyager of the Seas. Have been told could be difficult finding taxi in the afternoon to return to ship, should i go for shuttle better?. As to city walls, how long does it take to do?, will I have time to see old city as well? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Taxis are lined up waiting just across the road from the ship shuttle bus drop off point at the Pile entrance. You may wait a bit of time, but finding a taxi difficult, not at all. Just depends on how many folks will be waiting at the taxi queue. Taxi cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, have no idea what the shuttle costs.

If you walk the entire wall, stopping for photos and views, the wall should take a total of about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Just depends on how fast you walk, the amount of people up there and how often you stop. The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps, some guests walk slowly and others do power walks and never stop.

Do you have enough time to visit the historical and cultural sites in the old town. Yes if you plan your day by taking time to visit our tourist bureau website to decide which sites are of interest and where they are located, you have time.

Hi there,

I realise that you may have answered this elsewhere but this thread is ever so long to read! We are arriving on the Azamara Quest on Mon 26th September 8am - 11pm so would like to eat Dinner out in the evening. Can you recommend anywhere? If its necessary we could try & book when we arrive.

We have not booked any excursions but intend to tour on our own doing the Cable Car, City Walls etc. I've also read in a guide book about taking the no. 4 bus to Lapad but this may be too much for one day.

Thank you.

Taxis are lined up waiting just across the road from the ship shuttle bus drop off point at the Pile entrance. You may wait a bit of time, but finding a taxi difficult, not at all. Just depends on how many folks will be waiting at the taxi queue. Taxi cost is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, have no idea what the shuttle costs.

If you walk the entire wall, stopping for photos and views, the wall should take a total of about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Just depends on how fast you walk, the amount of people up there and how often you stop. The wall is 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps, some guests walk slowly and others do power walks and never stop.

Do you have enough time to visit the historical and cultural sites in the old town. Yes if you plan your day by taking time to visit our tourist bureau website to decide which sites are of interest and where they are located, you have time.

Thanks for your reply, one more thing though, I,ve read we should start at the Pile entrance which is the most difficult bit, but at the top which way should we go, after this difficult bit, does it get better?, and also, do you think waiting time in queu will be too bad round about 9.30 am?

We love visiting local markets, is it near cith centre.

Cant wait to visit such a lovely place

Thanks a lot

Thanks ever so much

For food - We walked over to the old fort after enjoying the old town and had a wonderful meal at Orhan restaurant. Great view of the little harbor there and watched an older man bring in his catch for the day and tie off for the night. Just overall a wonderful experience. A lot of the restaurants along the area looked nice but also more touristy. Orhan really was great and the owner even sat and had a glass of something with us at the end of our evening.

Hi there,

I realise that you may have answered this elsewhere but this thread is ever so long to read! We are arriving on the Azamara Quest on Mon 26th September 8am - 11pm so would like to eat Dinner out in the evening. Can you recommend anywhere? If its necessary we could try & book when we arrive.

We have not booked any excursions but intend to tour on our own doing the Cable Car, City Walls etc. I've also read in a guide book about taking the no. 4 bus to Lapad but this may be too much for one day.

Thank you.

Yes, I have answered the question many times. As a local resident I am not permitted to recommend any particular restaurant as per the rules of cruise critic.

The thread is long, however there are many questions which are answered about Dubrovnik and it's surrounding areas along with the website for the tourist bureau and a map of town.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Thanks for your reply, one more thing though, I,ve read we should start at the Pile entrance which is the most difficult bit, but at the top which way should we go, after this difficult bit, does it get better?, and also, do you think waiting time in queu will be too bad round about 9.30 am?

We love visiting local markets, is it near cith centre.

Cant wait to visit such a lovely place

Thanks a lot

Thanks ever so much

The city wall entrance at the Pile area has the most steps to the top, yes. Once you reach the top, there is only one way traffic up there, counter clockwise. You will walk the sea side, which is the least difficult but there are still many steps both up and down. The wall is narrow on top in many places, two way traffic would be a big problem especially when there are many guests. Can't answer if the queue will be long, it depends on how many cruisers are in port.

The city wall entrance at the Pile area has the most steps to the top, yes. Once you reach the top, there is only one way traffic up there, counter clockwise. You will walk the sea side, which is the least difficult but there are still many steps both up and down. The wall is narrow on top in many places, two way traffic would be a big problem especially when there are many guests. Can't answer if the queue will be long, it depends on how many cruisers are in port.

Thanks for all info. Very useful. I promise will be my last question. Any idea of how many ships at port on 29/6/11?

:):):)

Thanks for all info. Very useful. I promise will be my last question. Any idea of how many ships at port on 29/6/11?

:):):)

Only 4 ships for a grand total of 8,440 passengers. Old town will be busy, walls will be busy also and I do recommend getting up there as early as possible. Remember water, sun hat and lots of camera memory.

Hello

Could someone tell me if ATM in Dubrovnik will accept American Express card?

If so, do we nned to have a four or five digit NIP?

Thank you very much for the informations !

I have not ever tried to use anything but Visa or Mastercard in the ATM machines here. Yes, you must have a 4 digit pin number, no more or less and no words.

When I worked for American Express, hundreds of years ago, we always were told to advise clients the card was not a bank card, but a credit card. There is a vast difference and I don't know if this is still true. And it did mean the card could not be used in an ATM.

I would strongly recommend that you have a back up card just in case.

I had posted a few months back asking for pictures of the steps at Pile gate as i was concerned that i may not be able to climb them. Alot of you posted pictures which were appreciated.

I am happy to report that I am back from my trip and was able to climb all those steps at the Pile Gate and walked half of the wall. :D Was it crowded? No! It was raining and very windy so did not have to deal with crowds or heat. You did have to watch to make sure you did not slip. Our pictures, despite the dreary day, came out gorgeous and one would never know it was raining. If i can figure out how to upload them I will.

Thanks to everyone and to Dubrovnik Lady for encouraging me to try it ;)