Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be arriving in Dubrovnik on 31 August on the Voyager. I have tried looking at the port authority website but have been unable to find how many ships will be in the port with us or where we will be, can you help?

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be arriving in Dubrovnik on 31 August on the Voyager. I have tried looking at the port authority website but have been unable to find how many ships will be in the port with us or where we will be, can you help?

Voyager is of course the largest ship in port, there are 4 others that day and one is not arriving until after you've departed. Your ship will be at dock at the Gruz harbor, either a taxi or ship shuttle bus into the old town.

Have a great day in Dubrovnik.

Hi Dubrovnik Lady!

I can't thank you enough for your wealth of information. I've read through this entire thread and have learned so much!

We're traveling on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam that will be in Dubrovnik on Sept. 23. We'll be accompanied by many other cruises as we are one of 5 ships in port that day:) We'll be taking a taxi to Old Town as you've recommended so we don't waste any time-we want to see as much of this beautiful city as possible!

How far of a walk is it from the Pile entrance to the cable car if you're walking outside of the wall? I'm trying to decide whether we should walk the whole wall first and then head back to the cable car or walk from the Pile entrance to the Ploce gate, exit for the cable car/lunch etc, and then finish the remainder of the wall.

Thanks!

Gina

Hello all

We are on Queen Victoria in Dubrovnik on August 10. Any ideas what to do?

Bob

In the old town part of Dubrovnik you can walk the city wall. Ride the cable car up the mountain for breathtaking views of the town and surrounding area. Then we have the Franciscan Monastery, Rupe Museum, Rectors Palace, Sponza Palace, the Ronald Brown Museum. There are many lovely churches and the second oldest Synagogue in Europe, shops and restaurants - enough to do in several days. Your arrival day, 10 August will be a very busy day, be prepared for a very crowded town.

Hello, Dubrovniktravelady!

Can you tell me what we may expect for weather and temperatures in Dubrovnik in early to mid-September? Our cruise ship will port there on September 11th. Does it tend to be hot that time of year, or does is cool off a little by September? Thank you!

Hello, Dubrovniktravelady!

Can you tell me what we may expect for weather and temperatures in Dubrovnik in early to mid-September? Our cruise ship will port there on September 11th. Does it tend to be hot that time of year, or does is cool off a little by September? Thank you!

If I could only predict the weather accurately, I would be sipping Dalmatian wine on my veranda in my sea side villa!

Seriously, our weather in September normally does cool down, nothing like the heat of August. Average temperatures can vary from 25C to 15C and we do get the occasional rain shower. That being said, last year it cooled down on 01 September to fall like temperatures quickly, but year prior it was hotter than usual.

A lovely time to visit Dubrovnik, be prepared there will be many tourists here although many of the European families have left for the beginning of the school year.

Dubrovnik is breathtaking at any time of the year.

If I could only predict the weather accurately, I would be sipping Dalmatian wine on my veranda in my sea side villa!

Seriously, our weather in September normally does cool down, nothing like the heat of August. Average temperatures can vary from 25C to 15C and we do get the occasional rain shower. That being said, last year it cooled down on 01 September to fall like temperatures quickly, but year prior it was hotter than usual.

A lovely time to visit Dubrovnik, be prepared there will be many tourists here although many of the European families have left for the beginning of the school year.

Dubrovnik is breathtaking at any time of the year.

Thank you so much! We are excited to visit Dubrovnik... we have heard wonderful things about it!

If the entrance to the old walls that the shuttle drops us off at is too crowded how easy would it be to walk to the next entrance?

There are 3 entrances to the wall, Ploce is located at the opposite side of the old town and easy to locate and Sveti Ivan is close, but more difficult to find. You would walk the entire Stradun (main promenade), out the arch under the bell tower and follow the path up the hill until you arrive at Ploce entrance. By that time any line at Pile would have put you up on the wall. Also depends when you will arrive in town as to how long the line may be, getting up to the top does not take much time. However buying a ticket may be a bit of a wait. Be prepared by having 70 Croatian Kuna to purchase your ticket or you can now use a credit card. American Express is not accepted, Visa and Mastercard are ok.

You may want to download the town map site I've posted again. This will help you get your bearings. Do note there are 2 pages to the map. Hope this helps you.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

There are 3 entrances to the wall, Ploce is located at the opposite side of the old town and easy to locate and Sveti Ivan is close, but more difficult to find. You would walk the entire Stradun (main promenade), out the arch under the bell tower and follow the path up the hill until you arrive at Ploce entrance. By that time any line at Pile would have put you up on the wall. Also depends when you will arrive in town as to how long the line may be, getting up to the top does not take much time. However buying a ticket may be a bit of a wait. Be prepared by having 70 Croatian Kuna to purchase your ticket or you can now use a credit card. American Express is not accepted, Visa and Mastercard are ok.

You may want to download the town map site I've posted again. This will help you get your bearings. Do note there are 2 pages to the map. Hope this helps you.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

The map is a great help. Thanks for all of the information that you have provided. I see that there are many churches and museums are they open for viewing and if you were to go to 3 which three would you go to? Is there a separate pass that you can purchase to view the museums, forts and churches or do they each have individual prices?

The map is a great help. Thanks for all of the information that you have provided. I see that there are many churches and museums are they open for viewing and if you were to go to 3 which three would you go to? Is there a separate pass that you can purchase to view the museums, forts and churches or do they each have individual prices?

My favorites are the Franciscan Monastery to view the old pharmacy, entrance fee is 30Kuna. Next is the Dominican Monastery for their religious art museum, entrance fee is 20Kuna. The Rupe Museum is my favorite and should not be missed and it is not on the main promenade, a short walk up the steps of the Siroka Ulicia (Big street), entrance fee is 40Kuna. Sveti Vlaho church (no fee) is a must, if you have time and is located in the middle of the placa, but some afternoons the doors are locked for some reason.

There is a one day pass available, but does not include either Monastery. Personally I don't believe it's a good value unless you want to see the sites included. Cruisers have such limited time here, it's rather difficult to view our many historical and cultural sites. Too many guests only walk the wall, buy a gelato and return to their ship, missing some magnificent museums. Walking the entire wall can be difficult for some and takes up to 2 plus hours, doing only the sea side is much easier and will take only 1 hour, entrance fee is 70 Kuna. Don't forget the cable car, the view from the mountain is shown in my photo below, fee is 80Kuna.

Decide which sites are important, map your route and spend your time in Dubrovnik visiting only those which will be of interest to you personally. Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, enjoy your time here.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

My favorites are the Franciscan Monastery to view the old pharmacy, entrance fee is 30Kuna. Next is the Dominican Monastery for their religious art museum, entrance fee is 20Kuna. The Rupe Museum is my favorite and should not be missed and it is not on the main promenade, a short walk up the steps of the Siroka Ulicia (Big street), entrance fee is 40Kuna. Sveti Vlaho church (no fee) is a must, if you have time and is located in the middle of the placa, but some afternoons the doors are locked for some reason.

There is a one day pass available, but does not include either Monastery. Personally I don't believe it's a good value unless you want to see the sites included. Cruisers have such limited time here, it's rather difficult to view our many historical and cultural sites. Too many guests only walk the wall, buy a gelato and return to their ship, missing some magnificent museums. Walking the entire wall can be difficult for some and takes up to 2 plus hours, doing only the sea side is much easier and will take only 1 hour, entrance fee is 70 Kuna. Don't forget the cable car, the view from the mountain is shown in my photo below, fee is 80Kuna.

Decide which sites are important, map your route and spend your time in Dubrovnik visiting only those which will be of interest to you personally. Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, enjoy your time here.

I am planning our day in your city in October. We do want to see more of your Old Town and not just walk the Wall. If we want to see the seaside, do we go in Pile Gate? Is there a direction to go to only do half? We plan to take a cab to the cable car first. Your information is guiding my plan. We look forward to our time in Dubrovnik.

I am planning our day in your city in October. We do want to see more of your Old Town and not just walk the Wall. If we want to see the seaside, do we go in Pile Gate? Is there a direction to go to only do half? We plan to take a cab to the cable car first. Your information is guiding my plan. We look forward to our time in Dubrovnik.

Weather depending, you can go up at Pile and walk the sea side, going down next to the Maritime Museum the half way point. You can only walk the wall counter clockwise, best to keep traffic going in the same direction. Of course you may find a few who don't read the directional sign.

Taking a taxi to the cable car is a very good plan. You will not be wasting time by trying to use the local bus or ship shuttle service, all of which will drop you at Pile the western entrance into the old town. Cable car is located close to and above the Ploce entrance, eastern entrance.

Please download the website for the town map, it will help you get your bearings. Also note it still does not show the cable car location, changes here often take some time. Dubrovnik is a special town, do make the most of your limited time here.

Weather in October can be sunny and warm, but we do still get an occasional rain storm like yesterday - it just poured all morning and afternoon was gorgeous.

May I have your help as I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere. We will be in Dubrovnik (Celebrity Silhouette) on Monday 28 May 2012 which happens to be the day after Pentecost Sunday. Is it observed as a "long weekend" in Croatia and will the sites you mention above all be open? We are anxious not to miss them as we didn't find the time to tour them on our last visit to Dubrovnik after walking the walls and stopping for frequent refreshments and absorbing the wonderful atmosphere.

May I have your help as I have been unable to find the answer elsewhere. We will be in Dubrovnik (Celebrity Silhouette) on Monday 28 May 2012 which happens to be the day after Pentecost Sunday. Is it observed as a "long weekend" in Croatia and will the sites you mention above all be open? We are anxious not to miss them as we didn't find the time to tour them on our last visit to Dubrovnik after walking the walls and stopping for frequent refreshments and absorbing the wonderful atmosphere.

Sites should be open, but will know better later this year. Do keep in touch.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I'm travelling on carnival magic and will be in Dubrovnik on the 20th August 2011. Do you know how many other ships will be in port and where we actually dock?

A few members of my party have walking difficulties but would still love to wander around the old town. What do you think is the best way to get to the old town from the port and is it quite easy to walk around the town?

many thanks, Lisa

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I'm travelling on carnival magic and will be in Dubrovnik on the 20th August 2011. Do you know how many other ships will be in port and where we actually dock?

A few members of my party have walking difficulties but would still love to wander around the old town. What do you think is the best way to get to the old town from the port and is it quite easy to walk around the town?

many thanks, Lisa

Carnival will be docked in the Gruz harbor along with 5 other ships, total passenger count is 13,000 plus. First check with Carnival cruises if they offer a ship shuttle bus from the harbor to the old town and the cost. A taxi will cost 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, yes taxi drivers will accept Euros. That being said, you will need to have Croatian Kuna as the historical sites and most shops will only accept Kuna.

If there are guests with mobility difficulties, you may want to put them on the 2 hour Cabrio bus tour which will give them an overview of the town and surrounding areas. The main promenade of the old town is easy to walk, but the large crowds will make it more difficult. There are some sites which have 2 or 3 floors and some sites such as the Rupe Museum would be more than difficult to reach.

http://libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Dubrovniktravellady,

Although I've been to Dubrovnik twice and am familiar with the docking scheme in Gruz, I'm unable to find any info about who docks and who tenders. We'll be in port on Cunard Queen Victoria on November 18 along with a Costa and an MSC ship. How can I find out who will dock and who will tender??

Thanks so much! It's great to have a local who is so helpful - and thanks for the map.

Dubrovniktravellady,

Although I've been to Dubrovnik twice and am familiar with the docking scheme in Gruz, I'm unable to find any info about who docks and who tenders. We'll be in port on Cunard Queen Victoria on November 18 along with a Costa and an MSC ship. How can I find out who will dock and who will tender??

Thanks so much! It's great to have a local who is so helpful - and thanks for the map.

Queen Victoria and MSC are shown to be at dock in the Gruz harbor. Costa is always at tender next to the island of Lokrum closer to the old town. That being said, it's November and there are no guarantees if the our north wind is blowing. Costa will also be put at dock in the Gruz, weather depending.

Yes it is true I am a local resident and I've only been here for the past 4 years. I am a Croatian/American who has chosen to retire to Dubrovnik. Glad to help clarify your questions. Enjoy your day in Dubrovnik.

Hi Dubrovnik lady,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your advice througout this thread. I have managed to read over half of it I think so far.

There are 4 of us arriving in port on Voyager on 17th August. I checked a few weeks ago and there are about 3 ships that day, totally around 8,500 passengers.

My plan is to walk the wall and go in the cable car. Do you think this will be enough? How would you recommend to do it all as I know both will get busy. As there is 4 of us will it be cheaper to get a taxi into the town? And where should we get the taxi too?

Thanks in advance, I apologise as I know you have answered similar questions lots.