Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

We will dock in Dubrovnick on October 26 aboard the Celebrity Solstice. My mobility is somewhat limited, and I use either a rolling walker or a cane. We have not booked any ship's tours, as I wanted to walk the wall, at least on the sea side, and see the walled city from both the panoramic overlook above it and also by walking perhaps after lunch.

I was wondering how the weather will be next week, and if we should take a taxi from the ship to the overlook and then down to one of the gates? Or should we try to catch the sightseeing bus in the AM, then back to the ship for lunch, than out again to walk the wall. Maybe someone could suggest an alternative itinerary for the day? My DH will not do the cable car????

We will dock in Dubrovnick on October 26 aboard the Celebrity Solstice. My mobility is somewhat limited, and I use either a rolling walker or a cane. We have not booked any ship's tours, as I wanted to walk the wall, at least on the sea side, and see the walled city from both the panoramic overlook above it and also by walking perhaps after lunch.

I was wondering how the weather will be next week, and if we should take a taxi from the ship to the overlook and then down to one of the gates? Or should we try to catch the sightseeing bus in the AM, then back to the ship for lunch, than out again to walk the wall. Maybe someone could suggest an alternative itinerary for the day? My DH will not do the cable car????

You will need to decide if you can navigate the main entrance to walk the sea side of the wall. There are 65 small steps leading up to the main pathway and they can often be jammed with tourists. While it is true the sea side is the least difficult, there is one area which is slopped upward and may be too difficult to get to the top part. Walking the sea side does take a good hour for those with strong legs, there still are many steps both up and down, a minimum of about 500 steps. If the rain has begun, please do not try to walk the wall!

Weather permitting, the Cabrio bus will still be running until 01 November. Right now our weather is chilly and sunny but who knows what it will be on your arrival. The Cabrio bus trip would be good for your husband, since he will not ride the cable car. Too bad as the trip to the top of Mt. Srd is so worth it. Cabrio bus trip is 2 hours long and will take you to the viewpoint above the old town.

May I suggest you might enjoy having lunch in the old town at one of our many restaurants rather than returning back to the harbor and back into town again. There are many lovely historical and cultural sights in town which are easily accessible for you with only a few steps. The Franciscan Monastery and old pharmacy, Rectors Palace to view our restored "green" men from the clock tower. My personal favorite is the Rupe Museum, again about 65 steps to reach it but worth the effort.

We are in Dubrovnik today and the cabrio bus is no longer running.

What a beautiful city! We walked the walls today and took our time to take in the wonderful views and the old town.

It is true, Cabrio bus stopped running early this season due to our very high winds and rain. The Lokrum ferry is no longer operating as well as some of the boats to Cavtat and Elefiti Islands. Weather is the determining factor and we are now finally getting rain after a very long hot summer.

For those who are cruising here later this year, make sure you have backup plans as our small boats will not operate during wind and rain.

To Dubrovniktravelady: Would appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions. I have read all your posts with wonderful information. You say to enter via the Pile gate and walk the sea side of the wall. Is the half-way point of exit at the Maritime Museum or at the Ploce gate? Also I have printed the map and it says the South route is the sea side walk and would take 2 hours. I believe you had said it would be about 1 hour. Just trying to plan our time so we also get to see all the major sights. Another question - I read somewhere that you should carry your passport with you in Dubrovnki - is this necessary? Our ship, Oceania's Insignia is now going to dock instead of tender. How far and how long will it take to get to the Old Town from the pier? How has the weather been ? Hoping it doesn't get too cold and rainy yet. Thanks in advance for your help with these questions. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful city which I have heard so many wonderful things about.

To Dubrovniktravelady: Would appreciate it if you could answer a couple of questions. I have read all your posts with wonderful information. You say to enter via the Pile gate and walk the sea side of the wall. Is the half-way point of exit at the Maritime Museum or at the Ploce gate? Also I have printed the map and it says the South route is the sea side walk and would take 2 hours. I believe you had said it would be about 1 hour. Just trying to plan our time so we also get to see all the major sights. Another question - I read somewhere that you should carry your passport with you in Dubrovnki - is this necessary? Our ship, Oceania's Insignia is now going to dock instead of tender. How far and how long will it take to get to the Old Town from the pier? How has the weather been ? Hoping it doesn't get too cold and rainy yet. Thanks in advance for your help with these questions. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful city which I have heard so many wonderful things about.

I am not Dubrovnik Lady but am just returning from a cruise on Celebrity Solstice. We were there on Oct. 5th. The weather was spectacular as was the area. We were with two others from our ship. Originally, we were going to take a cab to the cable car. We negotiated for a tour at 120 euros. We then added a side trip to Cavtat, a beautiful resort. We walked UP to the mausoleum above the town. We were not paying attention to the time and ended up owing 100 euros per couple rather than 60. We thought it was worth it for the tour with Allan and the historical info. If you take a taxi tour, set on a time limit first if you are on a budget and the driver would probably hurry you along. We also walked the sea side wall. Stopping for pictures, it took about an hour.There are many steps but we were fine. The views are worth it. We took a cab back to the ship from the Ploce gate and it was expensive. I think walking to the Pile gate and taking a cab from there would have been cheaper.

Enjoy your visit. We certainly did.

I am not Dubrovnik Lady but am just returning from a cruise on Celebrity Solstice. We were there on Oct. 5th. The weather was spectacular as was the area. We were with two others from our ship. Originally, we were going to take a cab to the cable car. We negotiated for a tour at 120 euros. We then added a side trip to Cavtat, a beautiful resort. We walked UP to the mausoleum above the town. We were not paying attention to the time and ended up owing 100 euros per couple rather than 60. We thought it was worth it for the tour with Allan and the historical info. If you take a taxi tour, set on a time limit first if you are on a budget and the driver would probably hurry you along. We also walked the sea side wall. Stopping for pictures, it took about an hour.There are many steps but we were fine. The views are worth it. We took a cab back to the ship from the Ploce gate and it was expensive. I think walking to the Pile gate and taking a cab from there would have been cheaper.

Thank you so much for your info - it is very helpful. Hope we have the same great weather you did. We will be there in 2 1/2 weeks. Did you have any trouble getting a taxi driver at the pier? Did you start the wall at the Pile gate and exit at the Ploce gate? I have two things in my notes about where to exit - Ploce or where the Maritime Museum is. That is why I am confused. Do you have a card from your taxi driver ? If so, maybe I can contact him and arrange with him before we leave home. Again, thanks for your help.

Hello my wife and I will be on the Norwegian Jade, visiting your city, and would like to see the beaches. I have heard that Milini and Sunjb beaches are close by. Could you provide any information. Thank you, John

Thank you so much for your info - it is very helpful. Hope we have the same great weather you did. We will be there in 2 1/2 weeks. Did you have any trouble getting a taxi driver at the pier? Did you start the wall at the Pile gate and exit at the Ploce gate? I have two things in my notes about where to exit - Ploce or where the Maritime Museum is. That is why I am confused. Do you have a card from your taxi driver ? If so, maybe I can contact him and arrange with him before we leave home. Again, thanks for your help.

We had no trouble finding a taxi at the port; there were tons of them. I don't have a card for him. Again, find out exactly what the charge will be for the tour you expect. I think I would try to set a tour not by the hour. It will be cheaper if you have two couples as the price is for the taxi not the passengers. We entered at the Pile gate and walked until the seaside wall was ending and there was a place to go down and exit. I think it was the Museum entrance at the bottom.

Upon entering the old town via Pile gate, you will find the main entrance to the wall. Tickets can be purchased at the office opposite the large fountain. There are about 65 or so steps to reach the top, but they are not difficult just take your time. The walk is counterclockwise and you can finish at either the Maritime or Ploce. I prefer Ploce as then I can walk the portion just above the old port. The sea side should only take about one hour, the entire wall would require 2 hours.

Am not surprised about your ship docking in the Gruz harbor. You should check with your cruise line to see if they are offering a shuttle service first. There will be a line of taxis waiting at the port, fare is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros.

Our weather has been changing almost daily. Friday night we had a big rainstorm and it continued until Noon on Saturday, the rest of the day was lovely - clear blue skys. Dress in layers, it can be cool if it's overcast - temperature today will be 19-11C with scattered clouds.

Personally I have never traveled in any country without carrying my passport. There have been posters who have not and had to return to their cabins to retrieve them - you decide for yourself.

So much to see, so little time. Enjoy Dubrovnik.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

We took a cab back to the ship from the Ploce gate and it was expensive. I think walking to the Pile gate and taking a cab from there would have been cheaper.

Taxi fare to the Gruz harbor from Ploce is 80 Croatian Kuna or 11 Euros. Same fare from Pile is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros. There are large signs showing the fares at both locations.

Hello my wife and I will be on the Norwegian Jade, visiting your city, and would like to see the beaches. I have heard that Milini and Sunjb beaches are close by. Could you provide any information. Thank you, John

Sunj is located on Lopud island which is a 45 minute ferry ride from the Gruz harbor. At this point in time you may find the ferry service to be very limited if at all, weather depending. Mlini is a small village located about a 15 minute car ride south of Dubrovnik. Not much to see now as much is closing down for winter hibernation.

Banje beach is closest to the old town, just a short walk from the Ploce gate entrance. You can walk there easily and it's a nice view from the walk above, but doubt that you will find the gate unlocked these days.

We are no longer having beach weather, it's been cool with some rain and we are expecting more showers this next week.

When do you expect to arrive in Dubrovnik?

DBL - acting on your advice mobility restricted but determined wife climbed the steps at Pile Gate (85 steps actually - not 67). She also walked some distance along it beforevreturning and climbing down. Fantastic views and well worth theveffort - many thanks for the helpful advice. Dubrovnik is a very beautiful city and I now fully understand your passion. One piece of advice for the city fathers though- getting to the cable car should be way better signposted and better advice of the best route for the mobility challenged provided

Hello Dubrovniktravelady, and thank you for the information about the beaches, which is very useful information. We will be on the Norwegian Jade in June of next year. Long time off, but we like to plan ahead. Thank you, again for the information. John

DBL - acting on your advice mobility restricted but determined wife climbed the steps at Pile Gate (85 steps actually - not 67). She also walked some distance along it beforevreturning and climbing down. Fantastic views and well worth theveffort - many thanks for the helpful advice. Dubrovnik is a very beautiful city and I now fully understand your passion. One piece of advice for the city fathers though- getting to the cable car should be way better signposted and better advice of the best route for the mobility challenged provided

jdick: I was wondering about your wife the last few weeks. I am thrilled that she got up to the top and was able to experience some of the views. guess I've always been so exhausted going up the steps, I stop counting at 65. Did you know that recently there was a group here and they counted all the steps. Entire city wall has 1080, the old town is blessed with 5,000 plus.

I totally agree, something needs to be done about finding the cable car. Actually it is best to take a cab directly to the entrance and then go down to the Ploce to begin exploring the old town. Often it takes a very long time to get much done here, the red tape can be more than one can imagine.

Thank you for sharing her experience.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hello Dubrovniktravelady, and thank you for the information about the beaches, which is very useful information. We will be on the Norwegian Jade in June of next year. Long time off, but we like to plan ahead. Thank you, again for the information. John

John: Are you aware we are not known for beaches, ours are not sandy but small pebbles. On the island of Lokrum there are no beaches and we swim off the rocky shoreline. It is the crystal clear Adriatic sea which is our claim to fame!

Upon entering the old town via Pile gate, you will find the main entrance to the wall. Tickets can be purchased at the office opposite the large fountain. There are about 65 or so steps to reach the top, but they are not difficult just take your time. The walk is counterclockwise and you can finish at either the Maritime or Ploce. I prefer Ploce as then I can walk the portion just above the old port. The sea side should only take about one hour, the entire wall would require 2 hours.

Am not surprised about your ship docking in the Gruz harbor. You should check with your cruise line to see if they are offering a shuttle service first. There will be a line of taxis waiting at the port, fare is 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros, yes drivers will accept Euros.

Our weather has been changing almost daily. Friday night we had a big rainstorm and it continued until Noon on Saturday, the rest of the day was lovely - clear blue skys. Dress in layers, it can be cool if it's overcast - temperature today will be 19-11C with scattered clouds.

Personally I have never traveled in any country without carrying my passport. There have been posters who have not and had to return to their cabins to retrieve them - you decide for yourself.

So much to see, so little time. Enjoy Dubrovnik.

As always, thank you so much for your wonderful information. Because of all we have learned from you, I am sure our time in Dubrovnik will be terrific. Can't wait - will be there very soon.

Dubrovniktravelady,

I read on a cruise review for the Magic this AM saying that you need a passport to leave the dock in Dubrovnik. Is that true? We will be on the Breeze this June. Thanks for all the great tips.:D

Edited by bellavita1
spelling

Dubrovniktravelady,

I read on a cruise review for the Magic this AM saying that you need a passport to leave the dock in Dubrovnik. Is that true? We will be on the Breeze this June. Thanks for all the great tips.:D

As a local resident I do not carry my passport here. However I have seen many posts by tourists that they had to return to the ship to retrieve them. I do suggest carrying your passport, you may not need it but it is better than wasting precious time going back to the ship.

Will there be taxis at the port for 6 adults? I think we will go up to the gondola and ride down and then explore the city and walk the seaside wall.

Thank you

Most of our taxis are just normal 4 passenger cars, especially those waiting at the docks. If your ship offers a shuttle service you may want to use it or 2 taxis will work for 6 adults.

The route to locate the cable car entrance can be confusing. Do not attempt to climb the many steps to reach Buza gate exit, you will be exhausted before getting near the cable car entrance.

Dubrovniktravellady,

Where is the closet post office to the docks wher I could make along distance call or where can I get a phone card to use in the public phones? I have to call my 7 year old granddaughter on her birthday Sunday, Nov. 6. Is the PO open on Sunday? Thanks for your help.

Dubrovniktravellady,

Where is the nearest post office to the docks where I could make a long distance call or where can I get a phone card to use in the public phones? I have to call my 7 year old granddaughter on her birthday Sunday, Nov. 6. Is the PO open on Sunday? Thanks for your help.