Carry on Luggage, Do I need it ?

Hi everyone,

Our first cruise is almost here! Going on the Oceana on 6th June for two weeks sailing the Med. We thought that we had sorted our luggage and didn't think we needed carry on bags apart from a handbag for my wife. I've just been catching up on the forums after being in Australia for the last four weeks visiting our new baby grandson, and quite a few people mention carry on bags. We are going to take a box of wine onboard which can be packed in one of our cases. Could anyone let me know if there are things that we should carry on rather than pack them in our cases. Thanks for all the really useful information on the site.

..ok if you use depends you may want to carry a pair...bad joke

but you should carry on your prescriptions and your shaving kit...probably have to move that from your luggage to carry on because of security flying but you may not see your luggage for a few hours after boarding so you may want to freshen up..if you want to go right to the pool pack you swimwear in your carry on

and for me I carry on at least 3 cameras and the batteries for same

enjoy your cruise

How I read your post, I believe you are sailing from Southampton to the Med on Oceana - I think the above poster is a bit confused and thinks your flying..

So if I am right in thinking you are sailing from Southampton, you don't need to carry on anything except your 'valuables'.

I just have my handbag (with valuable jewellery inside and camera) - and put my Dress jewellery is in case as well as my winebox.

Then I carry on my camcorder, so I am quite a light travellor when walking onboard..hubbie, just his coat!!!

Some people carry-on their suit carrier with tux/suits and long dresses in - but if it is a sturdy one this can go in the ship with the cases suitably labelled ofcourse.

I have seen some people with large cases on wheels pushed on as well for some unknown reason... no need for this atall.

don't need to carry on anything except your 'valuables'.

I just have my handbag (with valuable jewellery inside and camera) - and put my Dress jewellery is in case as well as my winebox.

Then I carry on my camcorder, so I am quite a light travellor when walking onboard..hubbie, just his coat!!!

I have seen some people with large cases on wheels pushed on as well for some unknown reason... no need for this atall.

Yes that's about it, we found that the cases came very quickly, boarded 2am, had lunch, went to cabin and the cases were there. We were unpacked before boat drill.

David.

What about the wine, though? - I remember seeing (and someone else - Sue? - mentioning seeing) bags fairly being thrown onto the conveyors during the loading onto the ship.

What about the wine, though? - I remember seeing (and someone else - Sue? - mentioning seeing) bags fairly being thrown onto the conveyors during the loading onto the ship.

Yea large glass bottles can easily break and cause havoc especially if they are filled with liquids. Pad them well and pack the bag fully or carry them in carry on.

You were lucky in that your suitcases came quite quickly. In some instances you can wait for your cases well beyond the first sitting for dinner,(630pm)

We find that a small case with such things as a change and some wash bag items can be very usefull.

If you are taking wine onbooard for in-cabin drinking, excellent if you have a balcony...in Morrisons yesterday i got 2 x 1litre of Pinot Grigio on special offer at £3.99 from £7.99 BUT these were in cardboard 1 litre waxed boxes -slim like milk cartons.... ideal for packing in luggage (not with clothes ofcourse). I usually take a 3 litre normal winebox but this cruise is only 9n and 3 litres was a bit too much (ideal for 14n plus if you both want a glass a day). The winebox is made of very sturdy cardboard and is unbreakable I pack it in my odds and sods case - shoes, bags, medicines,etc.

Another tip; for newbies, and normal cruisers who may not of thought of it..

why not buy a hanging rail for your clothes ready to pack once washed and ironed, there is so much to remember when cruising, its good to be organised.

I have just bought 2 from argos for £9.79 each and will dismantle them after the cruise and put away till the next one.... (before purchasing these I had one sturdy one since broken due to wait of clothes LOL)

Sue

We forgot on our 1st cruise and bought a ARCADIA navy backpack from the shop onboard and now pack that in our luggage for disembarkation morning.

In case newbies don't know,your cases are taken away at midnight so you need a bag for nightwear, toiletries etc from overnight.

We always pack a small bag each, think airline size hand luggage. Don't usually bother with alcohol, as not big drinkers and are happy with on board prices.

We always carry on, a change of clothes, swimwear, medication washbag and valuables.

Your main cases may not make it to your room before dinner especially if on 1st sitting, and its nice being able to freshen up before the evening. Plus swimwear if you fancy a dip in the pool or hottub.

I find that the time goes so quick from embarkation to sailaway that I have never had time for a swim before luggage arrives. After lunch in the ss restaurant where you are directed too when embarking usually 'cabins are ready' annoucement is called, so we go from the ss dining room to find our cabins and usually a couple of cases are there by then. We unpack, read the newspaper to see what is on that night shows/entertainment. Then I may go off and book a speciality restaurant like Arcadian Rhodes, as bookings open then, and have always got the table i want on the night i want by booking so quick.

By then it is usually time for muster, and then sailaway. Back to cabin after sailaway and unpack any remaining clothes from late arrival cases and then its time to get ready for dinner ! PHEW!:cool:

Archived