Voyages Of Discovery in the Black Sea and Aegean

RMMV Aureol

Thank you Peter,

Really enjoyed reading your blog on Discovery. Great photos too!

Ditto. Thanks for all of the others that I have read in the past too.

Fran

• 3 weeks later...

Have read your blogs with much interest as we sail on the Discovery at beginning of September and visit some of the ports you sailed to. The pictures and interesting information about the ship were great. Many thanks, Peter.

Less than 3 months to go!;)

I know that it is almost 7 months until I board the ship but I am thankful to you for the wonderful words and photos re the Discovery. As many on these boards know I am looking for a new home away from home now that my M/V Marco Polo is no longer available to me. I hope that I have discovered it.

I am hoping to meet some other MP enthusiasts on board.

Fran

Hi Fran,

DISCOVERY and MP are very different hardware but there are many similarities. I found the passenger mix compatible: well-traveled, interesting, fun people more keen on enrichment lectures than, say, limbo contests. Itineraries, food quality, service were on the same par with the old Orient Lines, at least from my experiences. I'm pretty confident you'll like DISCOVERY and look forward to your feedback. She's definitely endeared herself to me and is a ship I hope to return to on a regular basis, especially after 2010 when most of the other classics are gone.

All the best,

Peter

DISCOVERY and MP are very different hardware but there are many similarities.
\

Peter, That sounds like what I expected as they both were started by the same hand, Gerry Herrod. Will I find any former MP crew on board?

She's definitely endeared herself to me and is a ship I hope to return to on a regular basis, especially after 2010 when most of the other classics are gone.

I am hoping that the fit will be good for me too. I have been on two mass market ships since my last MP sailing on the final voyage for Orient Lines. Neither one worked for me but I am optimistic about Discovery. Thank you for an excellent report.

Fran

Hi Fran.....

You just may have found your new "Home Away From Home", in the m/v Discovery.

We will be joining the Discovery in Barcelona on Nov.28 and leaving her in Singapore on Jan.4 (we're getting off where you get on). This will be our third sailing on the Discovery (our other two were Transatlantics), and with any luck, not our last. When "Orient Lines" ceased, we moved over to the the Discovery, and like her as much as did the M.P.

Click on Rotterdam17601 (above) to read a few of my past obervations regarding Discovery the vs. the M.P.

Happy Sailing!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Peter for your excellent description of that sector and the lovely photos. I learnt more about the background of some of the ships we shared harbour with. It was a wonderful voyage and ports and the interesting Maritime Memories contingent added very much to the travel experience all the way to Harwich.

Regards

Josie from Sydney

Thanks Peter for your excellent description of that sector and the lovely photos. I learnt more about the background of some of the ships we shared harbour with. It was a wonderful voyage and ports and the interesting Maritime Memories contingent added very much to the travel experience all the way to Harwich.

Regards

Josie from Sydney

We seem to have been on the same voyage, and I fully agree- I fell in love with the Discovery. Indeed, the veterans did add the icing to the cake. If you may recall i was one of the younger people from Bahrain.

We seem to have been on the same voyage, and I fully agree- I fell in love with the Discovery. Indeed, the veterans did add the icing to the cake. If you may recall i was one of the younger people from Bahrain.

Bahrain not Dubai -- Good to see your post. Say hello to your parents. My wife and I both wish you and your parents the best. The cruise to Norway and Russia was great and the m/v Discovery is great replacement to the Marco Polo. I hope Franu finds it as wonderful as we did.

dc native

Archived