Snorkel or Snuba?

We're sailing on RCCI June 7 to the Western Caribbean. For a first timer, which would be best? Snorkeling or snuba-ing? Grand Cayman or Ocho Rios, Jamaica? And cruise excursion or private party arrangement?

I have not been to Ocho Rios, we went to Mo Bay b ut I can tell you in the Cayman's (Georgetown) I would recommend snorkeling. The water here is so clear and warm. SNUBA is nice but you cannot move quickly from place to place and I believe it to be more work than snorkeling. Capt Marvin's does a great trip out to the Coral Gardens, the reef and then Stingray city. The latter is not to be missed. Either SNUBA or Snorkel, you will have a blast but I honestly feel Snorkeling is best. An example, in Hawaii last year, we stopped at Molkini. The reef only went out maybe thirty feet from shore so the snorkeling was wonderful. But the folks on the SNUBA tour were in the deeper water and it was a plain old shale bottom. Nothing to see. If you were going to dive in deeper water I would probably encourage SNUBA. Just a few thoughts. I hope you have wonderful trip and enjoy everything. The Caymans are my favorite!!

Cheers, Kenn

I would recommend snorkeling first before snuba. We were just in Hawaii with my parents and everyone loved snorkeling. About snuba - it's a little different making the commitment to go that deep depending on the tube for your breathing. Most people had no problems, but it wasn't for me.

I've posted some of our pictures from our snorkeling trip at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierham/sets/72157618278653327/show/with/3536898929/

The snorkeling pictures were taken with our regular old Olympus 770SW that's waterproof. The snuba pictures were taken with a rented camera.

Archived