Is it okay to leave the kids in the cabin?

CRUISING71

I am traveling with two kids..age 8 and 13. I don't feel comfortable doing this...maybe there is another solution?

When they asleep at night...I want to see the piano bar. Is it safe to leave them in the room while they asleep? or can we get a babysitter on board?

Thanks,

Tibby

I think this is a personal choice, you're going to have people tell you absolutely no and yea, I do it . . . it's what you are comfortable with . . . . .

I will leave my 13 year old with her 13 year old cousin in the room together with strict instructions on what to do if an emergency, etc.

Camp Carnival does offer babysitting services (in your cabin) too.

I am traveling with two kids..age 8 and 13. I don't feel comfortable doing this...maybe there is another solution?

When they asleep at night...I want to see the piano bar. Is it safe to leave them in the room while they asleep? or can we get a babysitter on board?

Thanks,

Tibby

The 13 year old is old enough to babysit so I wouldn't have a problem with that. But it also depends on how mature your 13 year old is too. DS(15) was mature enough at 13 and DD(12) (also old enough to baby sit) is mature enough at 12. I would make sure they know the rules not to leave the cabin and not to open the door for strangers.

Thanks,

Tibby

Not sure Carnival offers in-room baby sitters. If they do, thats your best bet. If they do not, leave them in kid's camp - there would probably be a small extra charge for this also. Or maybe you and your spouse can take turns with them while the other visits piano bar? Last but not the least: Do you leave them sleeping at home by themselves while you go night clubbing? If not, do not do it on ship either. Even if you do it at home, the ship can be a more dangerous environment for kids. If your kids are mature and you decide to leave them in the room by themselves, tell them that you will be on the ship and in case of any emergency they should immediately dial guest relations and have you paged. They should not open the door either to strangers or to wander out looking for you.

Almost every night Camp Carnival has late activities - for a small fee. We take advantage of this. At least one night is very late - 2 or 3 am. The kids are usually asleep. CC has blankets, etc.

Your kids are going to love CC and not want to leave anyway. (See my Avatar)

Babysitting/Late Night activities run from 10PM-3AM every night. If your 13YO would rather stay in the cabin, why not leave her and put your younger one in babysitting. If it was me, I would probably just bring my 13 year old to the piano bar to enjoy the music. You will be surprised how late your kids will stay up when there are fun activities going on.

Almost every night Camp Carnival has late activities - for a small fee. We take advantage of this. At least one night is very late - 2 or 3 am. The kids are usually asleep. CC has blankets, etc.

Your kids are going to love CC and not want to leave anyway. (See my Avatar)

You hit the nail on the head there!! Our DD absolutely loved CC so much she didn't want to do ANYTHING with us (including formal night)LOL. She's always attatched to me so it was a nice surprise/gift! It gave me and DH time alone to do other things we couldn't have done with a 5 year old.

My kids first cruise they were 8 and 11, and yes being they could sleep in more during the morning if needed they were definately up a lot longer at night. Mine went to a lot of the shows etc later at night. They did stay in the kids area one evening on the cruise we were on while I went to the adults only club but I had them out by 1 pm.

I think if they were in the cabin that is fine, especially if they understand where you will be if they should happen to wake up, need you etc.

Babysitting/Late Night activities run from 10PM-3AM every night. If your 13YO would rather stay in the cabin, why not leave her and put your younger one in babysitting. If it was me, I would probably just bring my 13 year old to the piano bar to enjoy the music. You will be surprised how late your kids will stay up when there are fun activities going on.

Piano bar can get pretty crude the later it gets. In fact, the Caper says after a certain hour (and sorry, I don't remember what time it is) it is an adult show. I wouldn't bring my 13 year old in there. Just my opinion though.

For me I guess the fact it's night time would be the issue. If on the slim chances something major happened it would be hard to get back down to them. At least during the day they are awake and alert. Mine that age sleep deep, not sure they would know something was wrong and wake up alert enough to do what they needed to do quickly.

Camp Carnival jazzes them up so that they want----practically beg to go to the late night babysitting. They have pajama parties, activities, movies,etc. In fact one night DH and I wanted to sleep but we had to wait until Camp was over to go get our daughter.

you might want to try the remote walkie-talkie option so they can contact you in case of a problem. They are used by many including Camp Carnival

My thoughts also...

I think the kids are old enough to stay alone in the cabin in order for the parents to have some evening time out of the cabin, especially with walkie-talkies. Of course I'd recommend strict rules for the kids, too, and would make a few unannouced visits back to the cabin periodically.

I think they do have late night Camp Carnival and I believe there is also a babysitter option for in your room at a fee of course.

Have fun!!

As far as I know, there's no private, in-room babysitting - it's all group babysitting at the Camp. ken

Personally I would use the same good judgement you would use at home. Your 13yr old is old enough (legally) to babysit your younger child, if they are mature enough is your call. The fact you are on a ship with a balcony shouldn't really matter, truth is they 'could' get into much more trouble in your home town.

I think people really try and make things harder than they have to be(not you OP) If you feel you can trust your kids set out some ground rules and go from there :).......and yes, I do have kids of my own and they were that age once.

Personally I would use the same good judgement you would use at home. Your 13yr old is old enough (legally) to babysit your younger child, if they are mature enough is your call. The fact you are on a ship with a balcony shouldn't really matter, truth is they 'could' get into much more trouble in your home town.

I think people really try and make things harder than they have to be(not you OP) If you feel you can trust your kids set out some ground rules and go from there :).......and yes, I do have kids of my own and they were that age once.

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm on the fence about these ages. Why don't you wait and see how they react... mine go into hyperdrive when on a cruise and begged to say till 3 am at camp carnival! Examine your options and then you don't have to make a decision until the night in question.

This calls to mind Madeleine McCann. I know that wasn't on a ship - but still - her parents left the kids in a hotel room. It just makes me nervous. I agree -- definitely not in a balcony cabin. But maybe in an inside or outside cabin. I worry though. What if there were a fire?

Could you stay until they fall asleep and then leave? (Explain you will be out, and they can walkie-talkie you if they wake up)

^^^^^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With our luck, something would happen... a kid would fall off the balcony while sleeping and disoriented and then (aside from the grief) it would be all over 24 hour news: irresponsible parents put partying before caring for their kids! :eek::eek:

I suppose things like that always happen when you think there isn't a chance of it happening. That's the nature of accidents.

On the other hand, I grew up riding in the car lying down on the back dashboard by the window and nothing bad happened to me!

Archived