Is it okay to leave the kids in the cabin?

CRUISING71

As others mentioned, it really depends on the maturity of your 13 year old and if they have watched their younger sibling before. And also, how you feel about it.

On our last cruise, our kids were 13 & 9. They actually had their own inside cabin across the hall from us. My sister and her husband were right next door to us also, so we had 3 cabins together.

We had the walkie talkies and we also had strict rules for them but we never had a problem. They didn't spend that much time in their cabin alone but they did sleep all night in there. They loved having their own cabin with their own beds, bathroom and TV.

Not in a million years. Would you do that in a hotel?

We were in Boston, and these two girls were in their room alone, and their mother was in the bar. They for some reason needed her, came out in the hall, and got locked out of their room. :eek:

While you are vacationing as a mother, be a mother.

we'll be in this same boat next month. two sons 8 & 12. With exception to the r rated comedian they can go with us to the piano bar and shows when they don't want to go to camp carnival. they will most likely enjoy them. its a vacation so what a few late nights. they'll have time for a nap sometime during the day.

Well said Mr. Pete

We were in Boston, and these two girls were in their room alone, and their mother was in the bar. They for some reason needed her, came out in the hall, and got locked out of their room. :eek:

This calls to mind Madeleine McCann. I know that wasn't on a ship - but still - her parents left the kids in a hotel room. It just makes me nervous. I agree -- definitely not in a balcony cabin. But maybe in an inside or outside cabin. I worry though. What if there were a fire?

Could you stay until they fall asleep and then leave? (Explain you will be out, and they can walkie-talkie you if they wake up)

I was going to say something silly like sure, but make sure you tie them up good. Then I remembered little Madeleine too, what a tragedy. I would worry too. We can all think that nothing will happen, but if the OP were to tell just one person why her children are not with her..... There is just too many things that could happen.

I do not want to scare the OP, but you just can not trust anyone anymore.

Whatever you decide, I hope your family has a wonderful cruise.

And how old were these girls? I stand by what I said. If the 13 year old is mature enough (only the parents can vouch for that) and has babysat the younger child at home (which he is old enough to do) then I would not have a problem leaving them in the room with the condition that they not leave the room and they not let anyone else in - I would also make sure they knew where we were at in the case they did need to reach us. My children were both mature enough at those ages not to have problem with us leaving them in the room. They stayed home in the summer while DH & I both worked with no problems ever since DS was 12. A mature 13 year old, who has had babysitting experience, then there should not be any problems.

.....he now has 6 cruises under his belt in 3 years (2 more coming up in August which will make it 8). Other than the first cruise, I have left him alone in the cabin by himself. He knows the rules so I have no problem doing this at all. It's not like I leave him there the entire evening by himself, but I might venture out for a little while to have a little alone time.

Heck, he's even left me in the room by myself a few times. ;)

It's all what you feel comfortable with.

wasiii

Oh My, just a tad mellow dramatic don't you think?? I don't know anyone who takes a vacation from being a mother so that in itself is an insult as well as a ridiculous statement. I really don't know why so many people on these boards need to make everything such a big deal when someone asks a simple question!!!!!!!!!

I don't know anyone who takes a vacation from being a mother so that in itself is an insult as well as a ridiculous statement.

YOU don't know anyone that does this so it must not exist?

Oh brother. :rolleyes:

I know a babysitter that got so fed up with the crying baby that she threw him across the room.

We pray to him every year in heaven on his anniversary.

Babysitting/Late Night activities run from 10PM-3AM every night. If your 13YO would rather stay in the cabin, why not leave her and put your younger one in babysitting. If it was me, I would probably just bring my 13 year old to the piano bar to enjoy the music. You will be surprised how late your kids will stay up when there are fun activities going on.

OMG.......................ain't that the truth..........i think my 10 y/o son turns in to a vampire:eek:

normally he in the bed at least by 10pm at home...but on a cruise.....

I know a babysitter that got so fed up with the crying baby that she threw him across the room.

Mr. Pete.....why don't we just talk about relevant things here. We could bring up every bad thing that has happened to every child everywhere, but why??

The OP asked a very simple question, I don't know why you feel the need to turn it into something ugly and so very off topic.

Mr. Pete.....why don't we just talk about relevant things here. We could bring up every bad thing that has happened to every child everywhere, but why??

The OP asked a very simple question, I don't know why you feel the need to turn it into something ugly and so very off topic.

Because it only needs to happen to you ONCE. No statistics will change the outcome.

I have already given my opinion. Give yours and move on.

A very sad situation and I am sorry for your (?) loss. But, this was a babysitter, not the mother correct? Or am I misunderstanding. I don't see how this confirms your point that mothers "taking a vacation" from being a mother? Or are you saying because she had a babysitter she "took a vacation" from being a mother and put her child in harm's way? If so, every mother that has ever been has "taken a vacation" from being a mother at some point. I don't see how being glued to your child's side 24/7 until they are adults is healthy for anyone.

A very sad situation and I am sorry for your (?) loss. But, this was a babysitter, not the mother correct? Or am I misunderstanding. I don't see how this confirms your point that mothers "taking a vacation" from being a mother? Or are you saying because she had a babysitter she "took a vacation" from being a mother and put her child in harm's way? If so, every mother that has ever been has "taken a vacation" from being a mother at some point. I don't see how being glued to your child's side 24/7 until they are adults is healthy for anyone.

My second post was in response to Judy, not the OP. She called me being mellodramatic in my OP. I maintain anything can happen. What if a fire broke out in that vicinity. OOPS.....melodramatic again. And no, this was not my child. It was my best friends sisters child. She was even on Oprah.

My point to the OP was if you are bringing your children, you are the parent for the duration. My child has never been in the care of others when we go on vacation. She is also not glued to my side.

You folks get off of your high horses. OP asked a simple question and now you are critiquing her as a mother. Common sense, OP - do you still take your 13 year old (if male)into your bathroom at the mall? Probably not - they can be swept up there just as easily as in their own cabin. Hence, ADAM WALSH. We all have children because we are in love and love our children. No one wants anything horrible to happen; but we've got to let them grown up.

Set ground rules and go from there. Have a Fantastic Cruise.

Chick.

We have a 13 year old that is mature enough to babysit. We left our three kids 13, 10 and 5 in their cabin in their pajams and watching a movie so that we could got to the later evening shows. They were fine, they know how to use the phone in case of an emrgency etc. BTW.....Camp Carnival sends the 9-11 year olds out on scavenger hunts around the ship, inside and out with NO SUPERVISION WHATSOEVER, So I hardly think leaving a child with a 13 year old is worse. Sheesh people. The 9-11 year olds are allowed to sign themselves out and do whatever they want at any time. When I enquired about not letting my son sign himself out, they looked at me like I had two heads. After a couple of days I was more confident and gave my son the run of the ship within reason. We had rules, we discussed different scenarios....and we had a great trip once we loosened up a bit. to the OP....I wouldn't hesitate to leave the kids in the cabin, ready for bed, room service treats freshly delivered and an approved movie on TV. Assuming your oldest doesn't have any maturity issues, they will be fine. Checking in is a good idea, but don't drag them to the piano bar.....I bet they'd much prefer treats and a movie and a soft bed....cruising is exhausting for kids too :) Have great trip!

They can be in camp free of charge till 10:00. If you have early dinner, you can enjoy the piano bar for a few hours after dinner before 10:00. If you want more time, you can either keep them in camp at the slumber party for a fee or leave them in the room with clear instructions not to open the door. With a 13 year old there, I would think it should be fine. And depending on where your cabin is located, you can pop out of the piano bar and in to check on them in the time it would take for a potty break. You can check up on them as often as you like...

Main ground rules for kids that are left on their own like the 17yr old should be no hanging out in the stairwells, elevators or hallways. These are not meeting or party areas. Show respect for your fellow guests and use them for their intended purpose only

Count my vote (and I'm sure my DS's vote) for late night CC activities. He is grown now but when he was younger he loved the activities. The 13 year old may be a little old but I think the regular CC activites for her age run pretty late and if, like other posters suggested, she is mature enough she could go to the cabin by herself.

Last year my 12 yo son and I cruised without the rest of the family. He plays piano and loves music, so I took him to the piano bar with me. I was not comfortable and did not feel that it was a family friendly environment. Mostly too much smoke and too much adult language. I suppose it would depend on the musician and how he/she runs the night, but I did not feel welcome. In my experience, not something that I would do again.

Thank you so much for all the comments and advices.

I would go for Carnival Camp...I just didn't know that they open that late.

The other solution was...we just call Grandma and inviting her with us. Of course we would pay for her cruise. We asked if she can baby the kids for 1 night so we can play. The rest of the cruise...she will lightly be at the slot machine. LOL

Almost every night Camp Carnival has late activities - for a small fee. We take advantage of this. At least one night is very late - 2 or 3 am. The kids are usually asleep. CC has blankets, etc.

Your kids are going to love CC and not want to leave anyway. (See my Avatar)

Reading your post reminded me of my cruise last October on the Pride when some parents went to get their kids from Camp Carnival Both little ones were having so mcuh fun that when the parents went to get them for lunch, they both threw temper tantrums. They just did not want to leave, they were having so much fun. The mother was in total shock, she said that at home, when she goes to get them at the pre-school it seems like they could not get in the car fast enough, but on the Pride, they didn't want to leave.

I would let your girls enjoy Camp Carnival and be supervised instead of leaving them in the room even if it is only for a couple of hours. So much could happen in that short period of time, not only that, but you could tell them that you and dad are going to have a night out and so can they.

It is in the knowing your child. My two oldest boys could and did babysit their younger siblings at 13. However, it could only be one of them and the two younger children. If I was leaving the two of them home alone I had to get a babysitter for them.

It was very strange. Tonight you babysit but tomorrow you need a babysitter. Left alone the two of them would have killed each other. Now of course they are grown and best of friends.

Archived