Celebrity Mediterranean cruise in September question

Rivergirl77

Hi I'm Rivergirl77 from Australia and a newbie :) February last year I did the Celebrity Mercury cruise around New Zealand and absolutely loved it. I have also done the Holland American Alaskan cruise in 2006 which was just as wonderful.

I am looking at doing the Celebrity Summit cruise of the Mediterranean starting on September 7 this year but have been told by a friend that September is a bad time to cruise the Mediterranean because of the Meltemi winds. Now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice on the conditions in September or if I could be directed to a post re someone's experience of a cruise there in September one year would be hugely appreciated. This is such a large site. Just thought I'd ask the question before searching

Thanks so much in anticipation and enjoy your cruising. I've just found the special board for this cruise so will post there.

Hi

We have cruised the Greek Islands in September twice (on RCCL). Neither time was windy at all. In fact the weather was perfect both times, not too hot and we had no rain. I haven't heard of this before so looked it up and here is a link to it

http://gogreece.about.com/cs/weather/a/meltemiwind.htm

I wouldn't imagine that it would affect a ship as big as the Summit but maybe others know more. This year we will be on the Summit on 25th August. We find this time of year perfect for us as its not quite as hot as the middle of summer.

Kay

Hi I'm Rivergirl77 from Australia and a newbie :) February last year I did the Celebrity Mercury cruise around New Zealand and absolutely loved it. I have also done the Holland American Alaskan cruise in 2006 which was just as wonderful.

I am looking at doing the Celebrity Summit cruise of the Mediterranean starting on September 7 this year but have been told by a friend that September is a bad time to cruise the Mediterranean because of the Meltemi winds. Now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice on the conditions in September or if I could be directed to a post re someone's experience of a cruise there in September one year would be hugely appreciated. This is such a large site. Just thought I'd ask the question before searching

Thanks so much in anticipation and enjoy your cruising. I've just found the special board for this cruise so will post there.

We did a Med cruise on the Millennium in September of 2007 and the weather was absolutely spectacular. No winds to speak of, and the temps were in the upper 70s to low 80s. I hope yours is the same! Enjoy it, and feel free to email me with questions if you like.

I really hope to get to New Zealand and Australia someday... :)

Rivergirl77 September is the ultimate weather for sailing the Med.

Athens Greece is my hometown and I am very familiar with the weather in September. July and August is too hot. Late May and early June is also great.

Yanni

Archived