Cayman Jolly Roger Pirate Ship

bemarshall

Anyone book recently with Jolly Roger? I booked this excursion before the hurricane hit the Caymans. I was in subsequent contact with them via e-mail and was told that there was some damage, but that they should be up and running. I told them that I realized they had a lot going on, and I would contact them closer to the cruise and see if our reservation for December 21 was still a go. I e-mailed them recently on December 3 and again a few days later, and have yet to hear anything ... getting a little concerned that maybe we should make alternate plans.

Has anyone seen the pirate ship in operation when they were on a recent cruise?

Any info. would be appreciated ... thanks!

Beth

Thank you both for the replies!

Cruisin*Tigger, good suggestion -- I'll definitely give them a call. When did you sail on the Jolly Roger? I'd love to hear more details. We'll have two 8 y/o boys and a 13 y/o girl along with us -- do you think they would enjoy it?

Thanks again!

Beth

We did the sunset cruise when we took a land vacation to Cayman a few years ago. Not too sure what they do during a day trip. But there were kids on board and it looked like they were having fun with the 'pirates.' Plenty of free flowing drinks too. :) Its a great trip along seven mile beach and as we left the dock they fired the cannon on the Disney ship that was in port. Even I enjoyed that. :D

I've been on several "Jolly Roger" cruises in the Carribean. They are O.K. for kids if you don't mind seeing people drunk, dancing and in some cases, taking their clothes off. I would think twice about taking young kids on this "booze cruise". They pour run down your throat and really get you going. It's great for adults though!

Thanks Cruisin*Tigger, that does sound like fun.

Mikvie, I first learned about the Jolly Roger in the Caymans from a travel magazine I read and they highly recommended the trip for kids. I think someone else on this board previously said that it was more geared toward children more so than adults. I'm hoping that is the case. Anyway, we're from the New Orleans area, so they are used to seeing people drunk, dancing and without their clothes on! LOL -- and just kidding!! I appreciate your comments and will take it into consideration.

Thanks,

Beth

This one must be different than Barbados & another one I was on [i forgot the island]. Must be a different focus, possibly because more kids go with their parents to Camen Islands. Didn't mean to mislead you. I booked this in advance of 1/2/05 cruise. I think I will cancel. My kids are grown & I am not crazy about a pirate ship full of kids, but I'm sure it will be great for you.

We were in Grand Cayman Nov. 29 and did the Jolly Roger. We had 3 boys with us ages 14, 12 and 10 and they had a blast. There were several other kids on the boat with us and it was geared more toward children. They did have rum punch but there wasn't drunk people, dancing or anything like that. The kids loved jumping off the boat into the ocean. I don't think I would do this again unless I had kids with me, but we all did have a good time.

Stick, thank you so much -- I'm so glad to hear it!! We'll have two 8 y/o boys and a 13 y/o girl along, so I'm sure they'll enjoy it as much as your kids did. My son wasn't crazy about the stingrays last time around (he was 6 then) so we wanted to try something different. As they say, as long as the kids are happy, then mom and dad will be too -- or is that vice versa?!!

Just a couple of questions. Did the boat go to a place to snorkel? How was it? I think the website said you were supposed to bring your own equipment.

Thanks again for your comments, I really appreciate your taking the time to post.

Beth

The Grand Cayman Jolly Roger is much "tamer" than the Barbados! The Barbados Jolly Roger is a definite Party ship, lots of free flowing rum punch, music, conga lines, etc. The Grand Cayman is a smaller ship, more fun oriented than drink oriented. I wouldn't hesitate taking a child on the Grand Cayman one, but would never take anyone under the age of 21 on the other!

I had a great time on both! I just watched the people make fools of themselves in Barbados (and watched them stagger back to the ship!) and enjoyed the fun of Grand Cayman.

I know that in some of the posts to this board earlier this year, someone said the Jolly Roger rode out the Hurricanes in a Mangrove area, but I don't know of anything since.

Hope this helps.

Thanks KJunea! I might have to go to Barbados ;o) They both sound like fun, and it is good to know that the JR in the Caymans will be appropriate for our kids. On your trip in the Caymans did the JR make a snorkel stop?

Thanks again,

Beth

I don't remember anyone snorkeling, just anchoring and jumping off, walking plank, etc. I know my hubby (a HUGE pirate fan loved every minute of it). Of course, we were there when they were holding their Pirate Festival at the end of October a couple of years ago. Everything is kindof different then, with all the parades, fireworks, etc. They even had a pirate invasion on Georgetown, complete with Cannon fire, etc. The Jolly Roger was front and center during that festivity! It was great!

http://www.jollyrogercayman.com.

Unfortunately, we were very late getting off the ship due to the tendering system in Grand Cayman and we missed the tour. Also, we were instructed by my internet contact with the Jolly Roger to call them when we got off the ship. Finding a phone to make a local call was a nightmare. Finally a very nice woman volunteered to make the call for us on her cell phone and someone from the Jolly Roger met us and informed us that the tour had already left. If you book the tour, make sure you get better information on where to meet, etc.

Archived