Ventura, my view

balf

Just recently got back from 14 nights on Ventura. This is how it seemed to me.

First, the good points. Although the ship is really quite ugly from the outside, the interior is quite pleasant even though so much plastic has been used. We know we can not return to the real wood of the older ships, and even the simulated painted decking did not jar too badly. And everything worked so well, the air con was the best I have seen, the food, although not quite up to Cunard standards was pretty close, the toilets did not get blocked up, the cabin was well planned and the beds comfortable, and the staff were as good as I have seen.

Unfortunately, the bad points outweighed the good for me. Whoever planned the layout of the ship seemed to have gone bar mad. Not that I am against bars, but Ventura has seven, but no cinema. That’s right, this big ship with over 3000 passengers does not have a cinema or any closed area except the theatre for movies, talks or concerts. So films are shown in one of the bars where there is a constant noise from people passing by, and a classical pianist had to compete with people talking and some playing cards. And the Tate speakers were not well pleased with the conditions they were up against. It would be better to admit that this is not the ship to have such entertainment provided, rather than to expect artists and passengers to put up with these distractions. And who would place the passenger reception desks in one of the noisiest areas aboard, so that you have to shout over the din from the atrium?

Ventura is not by any measure a classy ship, and although there were many who dressed to the code on formal nights, many did not, and contrary to some reports there did not seem to be any enforced code outside the restaurants. When the captain gave his short speech at the captain’s welcome reception (his attendance was the briefest I have ever seen) he did seem to acknowledge that his ship was not to the taste of, as he said “traditional cruisers”. He said “P&O have listened to what you have been telling us, and Azura will be laid out on much more traditional lines”. Which I would take to mean that the new ship should appeal to those who want a quieter, more relaxing cruise experience with more of the features most people have come to expect.

I can well understand that Ventura suits many people very well, it's just that it was not for me and I will not return. Unfortunatly big ships are now the thing for a cruise industry needing to stay profitable, but like quite a few others I spoke to I prefer the medium size ships that offer a more relaxing cruise. Oriana again!!

And I did not even mention the B word.

David.

I completely agree with your comments . We were on Ventura in Jan 09.Really pleased to hear that P&O are listening but looking at some of the questions on these Cruise Forums it would appear that many inexperienced Cruisers are given the wrong Impression when in their Brochure P&O state that Evenings on board Ventura a [and Oceana] are relaxed and INFORMAL.Many are confused by Freedom Dining.Some think you can turn up at any Restaurant at any time and others seem to think that Freedom Dining means that you need not comply with the Dress Code.I would not return to Ventura under the present set up .Although I don't think that it is a bad ship and it does have its good points Marco Pierre Whites , Las Ramblas and Metropolis we found to be Excellent.

Talking to one of the Crew it seems that they find the average type of Passenger onboard is 'Different'

We just got off QV a few weeks ago and since we have a week booked off for Annual Leave, we have booked last minute on Ventura in June to see the Fjords. We are not expecting the finery of QV more Las Vegas neon on Ventura but it will be interesting to see the contrast. We are looking forward to it all the same and look forward to the Fjords.

Spencer and Sarah

just recently got back from 14 nights on ventura. This is how it seemed to me.

first, the good points. Although the ship is really quite ugly from the outside, the interior is quite pleasant even though so much plastic has been used. We know we can not return to the real wood of the older ships, and even the simulated painted decking did not jar too badly. And everything worked so well, the air con was the best i have seen, the food, although not quite up to cunard standards was pretty close, the toilets did not get blocked up, the cabin was well planned and the beds comfortable, and the staff were as good as i have seen.

unfortunately, the bad points outweighed the good for me. Whoever planned the layout of the ship seemed to have gone bar mad. Not that i am against bars, but ventura has seven, but no cinema. That’s right, this big ship with over 3000 passengers does not have a cinema or any closed area except the theatre for movies, talks or concerts. So films are shown in one of the bars where there is a constant noise from people passing by, and a classical pianist had to compete with people talking and some playing cards. And the tate speakers were not well pleased with the conditions they were up against. It would be better to admit that this is not the ship to have such entertainment provided, rather than to expect artists and passengers to put up with these distractions. And who would place the passenger reception desks in one of the noisiest areas aboard, so that you have to shout over the din from the atrium?

ventura is not by any measure a classy ship, and although there were many who dressed to the code on formal nights, many did not, and contrary to some reports there did not seem to be any enforced code outside the restaurants. When the captain gave his short speech at the captain’s welcome reception (his attendance was the briefest i have ever seen) he did seem to acknowledge that his ship was not to the taste of, as he said “traditional cruisers”. He said “p&o have listened to what you have been telling us, and azura will be laid out on much more traditional lines”. Which i would take to mean that the new ship should appeal to those who want a quieter, more relaxing cruise experience with more of the features most people have come to expect.

i can well understand that ventura suits many people very well, it's just that it was not for me and i will not return. Unfortunatly big ships are now the thing for a cruise industry needing to stay profitable, but like quite a few others i spoke to i prefer the medium size ships that offer a more relaxing cruise. Oriana again!!

and i did not even mention the b word.

david.

b?

G

Like many I have misgivings surrounding Ventura.

However, 2 couples new to cruising accompanied us on a recent Caribbean cruise.

Both are as far from the archetypal Holiday Camper as you could get.

All had been or are professionals in the workplace, and extensively travelled, as well as living in Dubai & Hong Kong for a time.

All thoroughly enjoyed the Ventura experience, the wide variety of interests catered for, the excellence of the service and organisation, the quality and presentation of the meals, the well appointed and comfortable balcony cabins (C deck)

It has made me think am I expecting too much, particularly as we paid more to cruise in a tiny inside cabin in 1996 as we did this year.

No doubt if we had paid an extra 50% or so we could have enjoyed the cruise experience of yesteryear in an inside cabin on one of the premier lines.

You pays your money etc etc.

Regards

Cb

Archived