Alaska Shore excrsions with teens

cowsinohio

My sister and I are taking our grandsons on the Alaska, Westerdam June 14 cruise. While I try to be a "with it" grandmother, he wants to go zip lining and I am not sure I could do that. Anyone have experience? Also, any fishing experience to suggest? I am begining to think we will be alone on the ship.

Connie

Ziplining is so easy - there's really nothing to it, and I saw all ages doing it when I did it in Belize. I'm 50 and I wasn't the youngest.

When my son & I cruised Alaska he was 15. We did a glacier trek thing - helicopter onto the glacier, outfitted in trekking gear (crampons, axe, helmet, harness, etc) and absolutely loved our time trekking up there! It was the highlight of the cruise. I was initially concerned about booking it because I was having radiation treatments for breast cancer & the cruise fell in the middle of that. But, I did it all with no problems at all - and again, I wasn't the oldest person in the group.

So, unless you're horribly out of shape I think ziplining would be a piece of cake, and perhaps the glacier trek too. Both would be very cool to a teen boy!

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

My sister and I are taking our grandsons on the Alaska, Westerdam June 14 cruise. While I try to be a "with it" grandmother, he wants to go zip lining and I am not sure I could do that. Anyone have experience? Also, any fishing experience to suggest? I am begining to think we will be alone on the ship.

Connie

The best zipline experience by far is the one at Ketchikan. You will go from treetop to treetop with beautiful forest, streams and {in our case) bears below. I'm 69 years young and have also zipped in Hawaii but Ketchikan is my favorite.

OK, you all have convinced me to try it,I am a little afraid of height but I suppose I can " suck it up" as the saying goes. I did the Eagle Island Kayaking and mountain biking the last trip..and that was just before my cancer surgery. I made it through that so I guess anything goes now. I just don't want to embarass anyone...these kids will keep me young. I wish more people would appreciate the benefits of sharing time and experinces with the younger generation.

Connie

We have had teen agers on each of our whale watching excursions in Juneau with Capt. Larry of Orca Enterprises and they have been as entranced as the rest of the passengers. Follow that up with a stop at Mendenhall Glacier and let them roam. It's a well laid out park with a nice visitors center.

Most take the train in Skagway but I think there will not be enough action for them. If a chopper excursion is in your budget that would be a good place to give it a try.

If they fish there are many opportunities for them to catch salmon and halibut.

There is a logger show in Ketchikan that is a little hokey but if you are anywhere within three blocks you will hear the crowd cheer and it is great fun.

Check out the destinations boards for Alaskan excursions geared to teens. You did not give us their ages but there might be some that they can go on with others the same age and you can do something else.

Alaska has so much to offer and I hope they appreciate their trip. If you have not already shown them the options for excursions do so. Having their input will be more helpful than any advice we can offer.

Archived